Farewell Mrs Hissington - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Farewell Mrs Hissington

She was a fierce and brave cat, very protective of her many litters of kittens. She lived outside my house and I was never able to catch her to take her for desexing.

I looked forward to seeing her every day when I fed her outside the back door, and never minded the ferocious hissing that went along with her demands for food. At the appropriate age, she would sneak her babies into my house to use the litter, steal food and sleep on the couch. They never stayed though, and fled at the sight of me. They were wild little creatures - I caught one once that had got stuck behind the washing machine, and it bit me violently on the thumb. I saw at least 4 litters grow up and leave home over the two years I knew her.

I never knew what happened to her, but she disappeared a while back, so I presume she's dead. A few days later a starving kitten wandered into my house and is still with me - Mrs H's daughter I'm sure.

So goodbye Mrs Hissington - you were a good cat and did your best in a harsh world. I'm sorry you're gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 AM
Cat

It was a harsh world made warmer with your love and attention to her, and it sounds as though she knew it. I've given up looking for answers why some living beings suffer so, like you I just try to 'hoe my row' and do my bit.

And her baby is her legacy, her gift to you to cherish!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the kinds words DizzysDad. I know it must seem strange to be mourning over a cat that wasn't even mine, but I do miss the cantankerous old biddy and feel very sad about her passing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 02:03 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry Padwen. And I understand. I took care of a stray (not feral) for several years. After he suffered an injury to his tail, his health declined. I had a mobile vet come twice, but after that he managed to avoid every effort I made to bring him inside or keep him in my screened porch. About a year and a half ago, he just stopped coming. Given his health, I'm quite certain that he went off to die quietly somewhere. Even though I intentionally tried not to get too close to him, I do still think about and miss him, and I still worry that his death was painful. It's so hard not to know.

But you can't think about that. You did so much for Mrs. Hissington. Chances are that she would not have survived as long as she did if she hadn't found her way to you. Sending hugs and sympathy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page