Miss Celia Bedelia - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Miss Celia Bedelia

My little Celia, on Tuesday, you let me know, in your own stubborn little way, that you didn’t want any more treatments for your CKD, your anemia, and your arthritis. Already, last Friday, you were reluctant to go into your carrier. Your front half went in, but your rear legs wouldn’t budge. Tuesday, your silent, non-violent protest grew. I put you in front of the carrier, and though your head was inside, the rest of you remained firmly planted outside. I tried to pick up a front leg. Ouf! Every bit of your 4.6-lb self was intent on keeping your legs out of that carrier. I understood.

In January, when your creatinine and phosphorus levels were off the charts, I told you it was okay to let go, and that I was ready to free you. And in response, you nuzzled against my face, purred your Mack truck purr, and slept on top of me that night for the first time in weeks, and the next day, you started eating again and coming downstairs again.

What a huge spirit you harbored in that tiny body! I know you hated those twice-weekly vet visits for fluids, but you tolerated them for three months. I don’t think you ever realized that the fluids were what were keeping you going. You were just terrified. But you would have hated getting them at home. You fought tissues to wipe water off your chin as if they were lethal weapons, and after getting ear drops for five days, you hid from me for at least twice that long. So last summer, when your kidney numbers started to creep up, I made the decision: home would remain your safe place, the vet would remain the scary place, and when visits became too stressful, we would stop treatments.

Thursday and yesterday, Friday, I think you were the happiest, and the most comfortable, you’ve been in a long time. You were finally sleeping deeply, you were up and down the stairs several times, and mommy had more time to sit with you. Thursday night, when I came up from the basement, you even tried to slip past me and downstairs the way you used to, and when I headed upstairs with your milk later, you nearly beat me up the stairs!

A couple of weeks ago, I had bought grass-fed milk for the first time. But you were having pooping issues, so I went back to the lactose-free milk. You were unimpressed. So yesterday, you got the grass-fed – and whole milk – you’d always had the 2% stuff before. And you must have smelled the difference. You were asleep, and I was fretting that maybe I wouldn’t get to spend time with you the way I wanted. But your eyes suddenly popped open, and you practically flew to that plate of milk.

And that roast chicken. My goodness, I hadn’t seen you so excited about food in months! For a split second, I considered canceling the appointment. But kitties cannot survive on Greenies treats, milk, American cheese, and roast chicken, Miss Celia. Kitties need to eat kitty food too, and CKD kitties need fluids. You would have started to feel yucky by today without those fluids. And I wanted you to go while you were feeling good and full of positive experiences.

You went out in the warm sun for a little bit, and then you got to do your favorite thing: sit on mommy and soak up attention. You got your brush-brush, ear rubs, and lots and lots of loving. You had a tummy full of roast organic chicken breast and organic grass-fed whole milk, and then you were sleepy. You moved off me to curl up on your blanket for a snooze. You were already half-asleep when Dr. B arrived. You barely even reacted. Maybe you knew.

So mommy has no regrets about whether it was the right time or not. I know it was. But I will always regret not ever having enough time to spend with you. All you wanted was time with mommy. I know you didn’t understand why I spent so much time with those papers and the computer instead of with you, but I hope you know that I would have much rather been employed full-time as Celia's favorite bed.

Mommy will have to live with that regret, but it's her only one. I hope it's the only one you have too, my little bunny. Mommy will send you ear rubs and cheek scratches every day. I hope the cows at the Rainbow Bridge are fed grass. If not, you go right ahead and start a non-violent protest, my little feline Gandhi.

Lots and lots of love to my little Celia Bedelia.

Celia in 2002, when I adopted her, and then yesterday, just a couple of hours before she headed off to the bridge:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	celia on couch back.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	122756  

Click image for larger version

Name:	April 13 2018 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	122758  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

Run Free Celia...
Spirite, I know how hard it is to let go...it sounds like you gave Miss Celia a splendid goodbye...
she knows you loved her, and will continue to do so...
The most important thing, is you 'listened' close enough to her, to know what she was telling you....
I'm so sorry for your loss, Patty
Sending HUGS across the miles...
S.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 04-14-2018 at 06:36 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 06:51 PM
Cool Cat

Wonderful send-off! Surely one could not ask for a better last day.

Much sympathy to you. Hope you can take some comfort that you did listen, watch, pay attention - and *act* when the time came.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:19 AM
Premier Cat

For Miss Celia

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Cool Cat

Patty,

I am so very sorry for your loss. You gave Celia the most wonderful life that she could have had.

Many hugs to you,

Judy

Chino & Shadow
Misty, Tiger & Echo forever in my heart

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Premier Cat

Your timing couldn't have been any better.....she was happy and dearly loved and let you know it and had a wonderful peaceful send off. Love her name! such a sweeet kittty!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:15 PM
Premier Cat

Patty, I am so very sorry for your loss. Your love, care, and devotion to Celia was evident in every post you wrote! She was truly blessed to share her life with you...and your life blessed by her. I cried as I read your farewell to her.....she was a very special and loved girl. Lots of hugs to you. And many wishes that her spirit visits you often! Xoxo.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and sympathy. I know that, unfortunately, you've all experienced losing kitties yourselves.

I miss her furry little self terribly. There's still a Celia-sized indent on the blanket where she spent her last couple of hours and another on the pillow next to mine, although in the past few months, she had taken to sleeping on my pillow, next to my head.

I'm dreading next week, when I go pick up her ashes. I still remember what it was like when I picked up Margaux's ashes. That was awful.

For the first time in over 16 years, there is no kitty here.

I will either adopt or foster adults, maybe seniors if they don't have CKD. I don't think I could go through that again any time soon.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Cat Addict

I am sorry you had to say goodbye but it sounded like the perfect way to end one life and to start a spiritual one. We never can spend enough time with our fur friends as we work and have other lives. It hurts but we know it is best and out of love.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Tom Cat

What a beautiful, happy kitty. I'm so glad she had you in her life to care for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page