Tony Needs a Home No more - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to lazzara8478
Tony Needs a Home No more

***Tony is no Longer looking for a home***

Im HEARTBROKEN! I have Been Crying all morning after Coming to the realization that one of the cats must go.
My husband is allergic and after telling him basically to Suck it up hes getting worse. Hes been walking around Hacking all day yesterday and today and his sinuses are Swollen.
Ive vacuumed every day, brushed them daily and changed the sheets every other day on the bed.. not helping and he said he wont take allegy meds... he doesnt feel he should have to
Ive begged and I've pleaded but he said he will compromise and let me keep 1.
The decision of Tony over Gus.. Even though I love Tony more
is because My husband likes gus and gus hasnt nor would ever scratch the girls regardless of what they do to him... Tony will, but only in play because hes very playful and thinks its ok to play rough.
So if theres anyone In the MIchigan area that would love him as much as I do let me know.
Hes an AMAZING cat as I'm sure you all know from my bragging.
I WILL NOT have him pinballed around. this MUST be his last home. I was his second and its not fair for him to have a 3rd and certainly not ok for him to have a 4th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm not sure I understand - your husband is THAT allergic yet you can still keep one cat? Seems to be an all or nothing type deal.

I'm sorry you have to be going through this but I'd really hate it if you had to go through it *again* in a few months when the allergies aren't clearing up because the other cat is still there... or even worse if it turned out to be more environmental than cat related.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Premier Cat

I agree, removing one cat isn't going to change anything. How long has this been going on? Has your husband gone to the doctor for allergy tests and maybe even shots? I would see if you can find some relief for your husbands symptoms before doing something so drastic, which isn't going to change anything anyway, if you are still keeping one cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Its been going on about 2 weeks. Hes tried taking claritin and Ive tried all the allergen Reducing remedies. I think he should go to the dr but hes very stubborn and refuses hes not as soft on animals as I am
so to him since they started 2 weeks ago( right after we added a second cat ) hes convinced thats why and it has caused us alot of fighting recently because I told him I'm not getting rid of them at all... he wont budge..I dont know what else to do

Any home remedies you can suggest that Might help?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Premier Cat

I personally don't have any home remedies, but I can tell you that I have added a few kitties to our collection in the last few months and I noticed an allergy flare up each time on my end. Horribly itchy eyes, thought I had pink eye for a while it was terrible. After a few weeks it got better. Then we got another kitten, same thing, etc. - it's possible it will get better in time. Claritin has never worked for me for anything or my mother who has horrible allergies, but she has taken the injections and says they did wonders.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

maybe I will see if he'll do an injection. I'm not seeing that likekly though... hes a very stubborn man. arnt most though?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Tom Cat

My husband's allergies flare up for a couple weeks after we bring a new cat into the house, too. It eventually settles down once his body gets used to the new allergens. In the meantime, he has a prescription of zyrtec that he takes every day and it really, really helps. And of course, he always has benadryl on hand that he can chew up real quick if a serious flare-up happens and he needs instant relief. Hopefully your husband will give it a little more time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

I also had a few weeks of stuffy nose and runny eyes when I added the 3rd kitty. Then it cleared up. I would give it a little more time.

You can also help by vacuuming daily...rugs and furniture that he's on. Also keep them out of your bedroom. They make allergy wipes that you can use on the kitty...I've heard they do help. A good air filter may help too.

Also take into account the time of year, it may be a combination of environmental (golden rod must be in full swing down your way right now) and the kitties is just overload, and when the environmental eases and his body has adjust to the extra kitty.

Another thing to consider is that you are chosing to give up Tony, but Gus is the new kitty correct? It could be that your husband is allergic to Gus, but not Tony and re-homing Tony will not fix the problem. I have experienced a couple situations where I have been severely allergic to a particular cat and have seen posts from other people with the same situation.

I think your hubby forcing a hasty decision. Can I ask a question...was he in on the decision to get a second cat and the selection of the cat or did you just bring him home? Just wondering if this is a power play of sorts....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Banned

You're sure it's the cats? It's prime allergy season.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Premier Cat

if its only been going on for two weeks ... how long have you had both Tony and Gus? (if memory serves, Gus is the FIV+ cat isn't he?) ... i personally don't think its the cats at all.

I'm allergic to cats and dogs. But I do get 'aclimitised' after a while and the allergy doesnt affect me so much.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page