Help me find Temporary Cat's people! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Help me find Temporary Cat's people!

And so about three weeks ago, an absolutely adorable year old-ish old gray and black short haired cat just wandered up to my moms house and adopted her (and is causing all kinds of disorder for the Old Guard felines of the house, who seem to have put aside their differences to repel this new intruder).

No amount of "Shoo! Shoo!"ing made him go away, and so in order to keep the old cats from getting beat up by this young whipper-snapper, I agree to let him move in with me for a while until we find his people - although she suspects that someone just up and abandoned him. He didnt have a collar, and the vet confirmed that he has no chip. So I've posted to Craig's List, I've postered the heck out of the neighborhood with "found cat" fliers, notified the Dog Pound (and put a poster there), put adverts in the local newspaper and on the national lost pet databases. Seriously, I don't think there's an avenue that I haven't notified somehow.

Anyway, while I've grown attached to Temporary Cat, I want to make sure that I've exhausted everything I can possibly do to reunite him with his Humans. So I thought I'd ask here for some brainstorming ideas.

Meanwhile, here's some pics of Temp in action (or inaction as the case may be)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Help me find Temporary Cat's people!

What a lovely little boy! Beautiful colors and gorgeous eyes.

So, what are you naming your new cat?

Yup, he's yours now.

Seriously, you've done everything right. I mean, you've brought him to see a vet, had him scanned for a chip, put up posters AND posted on Craigslist. Unless you can get him a spot on the evening news, I don't know what else you can do.

So, I ask you, what's your boy's name?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Now, now - like I said - he's the Temporary Cat. It may take me 17 years to find his people, but he's only just Temporary.

Of course in the meantime I'll get him snipped and checked out good and proper at the vets on Tuesday. Even if Temp's humans turn up, I figure I can take the 50 dollar hit to make sure his physical needs are taken care of properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, T.C. sure knew who to go to for good care.

Be careful, I only had one cat when I joined this Forum.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Premier Cat

*sigh* I think I luff you for doing everything right and taking him in. He looks like a beautiful boy.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Cat Addict

Yes! He's gorgeous - and lucky and clever to have found a kind human to adopt! Enjoy your new boy....

Fran
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Kind human? More like a 100% sucker - but the end result is the same. (:

So, here's a question for you guys - how long is a reasonable search? 30 days of fliers and Craigslist and etc sound right? While I do want him to stay, I don't want to short change looking for his people. If the tables were turned, I know I'd be devastated - so I do want to try.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Craigslist ads aren't taken off for 30 days, so if they do a search for their kitty, yours should show up. He wasn't chipped and didn't have a collar with any info, so he was probably an inside kitty. TC was obviously well cared for and loved by someone. My vet has a book of lost and found cats in their lobby that anyone can look through. I supposed if there's another vet in the area, you could email or take TC's picture in and see if they recognize him. Other than that, I'm not sure what more you could be doing. Maybe one more round of fliers?

But it speaks well of you that you're also concerned about his owner.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to PureMuttz Send a message via Yahoo to PureMuttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desslok
So, here's a question for you guys - how long is a reasonable search? 30 days of fliers and Craigslist and etc sound right? While I do want him to stay, I don't want to short change looking for his people. If the tables were turned, I know I'd be devastated - so I do want to try.
I know how you feel. With my current male, Jethro, I believe I searched for a good 6 months before feeling confident that no one was looking for him. With me, it was partly due to wanting to give the owners a chance to come forward, especially if they were on vacation or something that would need extra time to respond...but also because I wasn't convinced that there would be no one looking for such a darling cat!

I'm pretty certain I did major overkill in my hunt for owners, but oh well. Jethro is part of my family now. While looking for owners I made a post on CL once a week, and I posted him ''Found'' on the local Humane Society's online listing. I also emailed them so they could give out my contact information for anyone searching for a cat of his description. I put up a flyer at my local vet clinic, and both the Petco & PetSmart in the area. I volunteered with a rescue, so I also posted him on their website and billboard at adoption events.

During that time I had him combo-tested and dewormed (so he could live indoors with my own cat safely) and I got him microchipped once I decided that I searched for owners long enough and he was a permanent resident here.

I do believe that T.C. is going to be your cat, but like I said, I can't really say much about when to stop searching, as I did it for 6 months. LOL
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well, Temp is back from the vets (well, actually back from Paws, but same thing) and everything is a-ok. He spent the evening staggering about like a drunk and then when he sobered up he begged non-stop for food (I eventually relented at midnight). Today he's stone cold passed out. He likes the cuddles, but he's not much of a lap cat - he spent at least three hours in my lap (more or less three hours - at least the running time of King Kong vs Godzilla).

I guess getting your junk whacked off will take a lot out of a fellow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page