A really bad situation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

A really bad situation

Hey all, I've got a really bad situation here I could use some advice on.

My sister has been diagnosed with cancer and as a result is unable to take care of her cats. I've taken one and my brother has taken another but there are still 6 that need homes (I know 8 is too many but mental illness runs through my family, please don't judge)

Anyway, I've been tasked by her to try to find homes for them, right now they're living in a really bad situation, I won't go into details but it's not good at all. And believe me I don't like it any more than any of you would. It kills me to see their living conditions.

I'd like to try to avoid the SPCA if possible simply because if I've been informed correctly if they don't find a home for them in a certain period of time they Euthanize them. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

I've found a good service that sets them up with foster homes until a permanent home can be found. The problem with that is they'll only take them if they've been fixed (They have) and they're up to date on their shots (They're not) If they're not up to date they ask that whoever is donating them pay. I would happily do so but I'm on leave from work and am just barely scraping by.

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Jr. Cat

SPCANS states that they are no-kill, which means barring extreme health or temperament issues they will keep them until they find a home. Honestly I think the best/easiest way to deal with that many cats would be to call the SPCA, explain the situation and ask for help.

Proudly Owned by:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cat24; 03-29-2011 at 07:52 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks, I fired them off an email. Hopefully we can get the cats taken care of properly and quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Jr. Cat

My family rescued a litter of kittens from a rabbit cage(they were abandoned by the neighbour who moved with no notice) and we surrendered them to the Pictou County SPCA which works with Metro under the SPCANS with no problems about 10 years ago. They did have to euth the poor dog the same neighbours left chained to a post because it went crazy and noone could get near it even to feed it.

Here's hoping that they can help you with the cats.

Proudly Owned by:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 AM
FrD
Kitten

I'm so sorry to here about your sister.
did you try putting an ad in the paper or putting up posters. I know its not that great of an idea but thats how I always used to get rid of kittens when our cats had them. or we took them to the auction market in our town, (I live in canada too) we'd sit there of course. my dad worked there and you wouldnt believe the amount of people that just dropped cats off and think someone will take them!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Tom Cat

hi hishighness, sorry to hear about your sister

It's not in Halifax but there are a couple of places in the Valley that might be able to offer some help or guidance.

The Wolfville Animal Shelter is wonderful (we adopted Atlas there): Valley Animal Shelter - Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Maritime Animal Rescue

Bide Awhile - Providing Animals with Shelter

This is a list of virtually ever animal rescue organization in the Maritimes:

Maritime Animal Rescue
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Jr. Cat

I am so sorry to hear about your sister.
I guess it is not an easy time of year to find a new home for cats, too many cute sweet little kittens about.
I don't know about the rules the rescue centres in Canada have, but if you explain they are not yours, that you are also giving your time and what little money you have trying to save someone else's cats, there might be a way around the cost of those shots. They must have some kind of funding reserved for cases like this......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page