My Shelter is Closing... (Long!) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My Shelter is Closing... (Long!)

I’m really stressing right now. Just got the news today that the shelter is on the brink of closing. Yes, we’ve had this discussion before and the shelter did close temporarily last year for three months. The talk this time if about it being for good. The director said she hopes that all of us will stick it out and see what happens because we’ve got a few options. Decrease staff and jeopardize the care of the animals? That won’t and cannot happen. The animals are our number one priority. The boards comeback, euthanize all animals who have been at the shelter for six months or longer. NO WAY! We can’t do that. It’s not fair. Most of the animals in that category are the ones we’ve known since they were puppies and kittens.

The board has it easy and they are worthless. Their main purpose is to come up with fundraising and from what I understand, they’ve basically been doing nothing. Our bank account is on 0. I’ve been at the shelter for going on two years now and I’ve meet three, maybe four of the board members total. They never come out to the shelter. Yeah, it’s easy to sit back and say put them down. They don’t know the animals personally. That’s eight hours a month. That could cut back on paying staff a little bit. The director has come up with the idea to have the board lay her off and use her salary to pay the rest of the employees. She was crying during this entire meeting and I don’t blame her. For the past year she’s basically run the shelter on her own. She’s paid bills for the shelter out of her own pocket and she doesn’t have to do that. She’s done a great job keeping this all a secret as none of the staff, who care and actually do stuff, had a clue. She told us that we’d get our checks late this week and after that.... she didn’t know if we’d be able to get paid. Most of us have families and live paycheck to paycheck. I don’t know how long we can last. One staff member has already found a job and we just go the news today. So, now we’re a man down. I can honestly say that I’m a bit jealous of her because my friend has wanted me to quit the shelter for a while now to work where my co-worker got a job today. I can’t quit on the shelter now. For the last almost two years my life has revolved around this place. I’ve literally lived and breathed this place. Almost all my waking thoughts have revolved around this place. If I lose my job at the shelter where will I go from there?

Forget about me! What about the animals? What will happen to them? Other shelters won’t take them because we’re all basically in the same boat. Everest, Madonna, Snowflake, Hazel, Rudolph, Midnight, Daisy, Nigel, Haley, Po, and Dispy! All of them have been there for over a year and in some of their cases, two years. They’d be the first on the euth list. Some of them are really shy, that’s the reason they’ve not found homes. Two of the dogs are dog aggressive but for some reason love each other. One of the dogs is a fence jumper... that’s her problem.

We’re being proactive and now most of our cats are free to the right home. They still have to fill out an application and contract etc. We don’t make any money off of adoptions anyway. The dogs’ fees are negotiable. If the right home comes about, yeah, we’d give them away for free too. Anything to not have to put them down. We’re a “no-kill” shelter but we will euthanize for several reasons and one of them is NOT space. Several of the staff have commented that “oh, if they say to put the animals down, I’m taking So-and-so home.” That’s all fine and good but before you know, you’re going to be on Hoarders. I have four cats and three dogs and I’m not sure I could manage many more on my own.

This makes me so mad! Something should have been done about this long ago. Not after it’s too late. It takes about $9000 a month to run the place and that’s the bare minimum that we could get by on. All food and litter is donated so that’s just bills. We’re a tiny facility. We only have 26 dog kennels and 18 cat cages but we usually have more animals than that. It’s just freaking ridiculous.

Uuuugggghhhh!!! Okay, my rant is over now. I’m not going to go asking for donations because I don’t know how good they’ll do at this point but you never know. It could help find one more dog or cat a home. Please send positive thoughts. I feel so sick right now.

If you're interested in seeing the dogs and cats and bunnies available at the shelter, please check out our website and and look at their Petfinder pages. I'm not opposed to delivering animals to their new homes. I'll drive them where they need to go if it's a good match.
www.hspcanimals.org

Barn homes ARE acceptable for our shy and anti-social cats. If already spayed or neutered, they are free!

Last edited by marie73; 09-25-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

Have you contacted other shelters to see if they will take some of the animals? Why do you say other shelters wouldn't take them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I have not personally... I'm just restating what the director told us in a meeting. I don't have a lot of info other than what I've already said above. This was more of a rant post than anything and hoping that maybe, just maybe someone would adopt an animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Cat Addict

I think Everest is a beautiful girl and would be the one of the ones I couldn't refuse to take home. I really hope they all find good homes. I wish i was close enough to lend a hand. I would break down and take in a few more fosters just to help.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Everest has been at the shelter the longest of all our animals. We don't actually have her intake papers because the previous director (idiot thief) lost a lot of stuff during his reign. All we know is she's been there longer than any of the current staff (at least 2 1/2 years).

Fox 59 News (an Indianapolis station) is doing a story soon on shelters that are closing. I don't have the complete details but they will be sending a reporter our way soon.

Last edited by AmberH; 08-24-2011 at 08:38 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Cat Addict

Of course that would be the case. I keep telling myself, no more cats.. But then I think my Sherbert would want me to take another in someday.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Not pushing or anything, but I said I'd deliver or meet in the middle. Again, not pushing. lol
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Cat Addict

If they decide to put her on the Euth. list.. i will have to take you up on that. I do have a dog and 3 resident cats. as well as a foster.n Hope kids wouldn't bother her.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I was half way kidding but I will try to keep this thread updated with everything I learn.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Cat

I wish I was closer to you but I am in Western Canada. I lost my male last week and my female is extra needy since he left us. I'm thinking of adopting and older female cat from local shelter in the next few weeks or month. I love Mystique, Everest and Taera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page