help find new shelter for 50+ kitties! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

help find new shelter for 50+ kitties!

I'm not sure if this goes here or not. If admins want to move it to the proper place, please do

The rescue group I volunteer with would really like to get their own shelter. Because we don't have an actual building and "business hours" where people can come in and look at the kitties, we don't qualify for a lot of benefits/grants/gov.help that most other groups get.
Right now we're renting the back area of a veterinary building for only $200 + utilities... a GREAT deal! However, since it's not our building, we can't get a business license to use it as a true public shelter. We get volunteers who come a couple hours a day just to fill the food/water bowls, scoop litter and do some general cleaning.

Most places I have found, in a regular search, want $1,000+ a month for rent/utilities. We barely get $500 or so in donations from the general public to cover our current rent, vet bills and supplies. I have been trying to look for donated buildings (houses or facilities that would be okay for the cats...aka, 3 rooms minimum, an office area, human restroom, etc.). However, all I keep finding is websites about OFFERING your property for donation, rather than GETTING property donations.
Does anybody know how I can find these places? Even if it was just a general type of search that would help get me going. But if you know how I could specifically find places in Weber county Utah, that would be great!

Another problem is that our "shelter" right now is 20 miles away from the Petco we do adoptions at, so I have to drive 40-ish miles every Saturday to bring cats to/from! Anywhere in Weber County would only be a 20 mile round trip and save me SOOO much time and gas! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Cat Addict

Any Luck?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Not really. The director thought maybe we could go to the county and get a list of properties that are up for auction for only their back-taxes price... so I'm going next week to see about that. Though I'm not sure where I go... zoning planner? County clerk? Court house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Cat Addict

try this.

Weber County
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ohhh! Thanks so much!
I doubt we'll have enough money to actually buy a place by May, but it's a start!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Cat Addict

might not have enough this year, but if you sit in you will know what to expect next maybe and also put up a few fundraising things specifically for it. And at least you will know where to look later. lol

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 01-30-2012 at 01:42 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Jr. Cat

You are a wonderful person for doing what you are.Where I younger and healthier I would attempt to help out with homeless animals more as you are. That is so GREAT.Sending prayers for your success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page