Need Urgent Help - We have to re-home our cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Need Urgent Help - We have to re-home our cats

Hello Everyone,

We just found out that our daughter has severe allergies to our cats (not the kind that she could hopefully build up an immunity.) She basically scratches her skin until it bleeds and the doctor says she will continue to get worse and eventually start wheezing. No hope of allergy shots working - not that I would want to subject a small kid to weekly shots.

We are devastated so please don't belittle us. We have spent the evening crying and comforting our kids. I am emotionally depleted and looking for options.

We have found a home for our dog, but need help with the cats.

Is there anyone out there who might help in the GA area. We contacted the humane societies we adopted our kitties from, but were basically told they had no room for them.

Both cats are extremely social and sweet. They are great with small kids and of course other cats. They are indoor kitties only. Both are spayed. They were not adopted together so they would be fine to go to separate homes if we had to go that route. Piper is two and tolerant of dogs. She is very a very quiet, subdued kitty who likes to sunbath and good chin rubs. She is a Russian Blue and Tabby mix.

Zoey is a Russian Blue / Siamese mix. She is 1.5 y/o. That being said, she has a lot of siamese. She will talk. She likes to be in the same room with you and will follow you around. Her curiousity often gets her stuck behind the fridge or the closet.

Both cats are very loving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Tom Cat

I am very sorry. I would hate to give up my pets but your daughter is more important. All humane and rescue groups I know expect you to return pets if it doesn't work out. When I adopted my cats (one from a rescue and one from a shelter) I had to sign an agreement stating I would return them if at any time I no longer wanted them. I'm in NY and maybe it is different in GA but I would contact the humane societies again and explain the situation. You've probably already done this but ask your family, friends, neighbors and coworkers. If you place the pets with somebody you know you can get updates on how they are doing.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hi Janz,

Thanks for your comments. And we signed contracts too, but the humane societies have basically told us that they are overcapacity and cannot help us. I tried explaining it and the only solution they gave us is that they could put them up for adoption, but the cats would still need to live with us. Not really a solution in this situation as we are in the process of trying to find my daughter an interim place to stay so we can re-home animals, replace carpet, and deep clean and oh - get a hepa filter.

I don't want to even think about the money.

Even explaining all this, the humane societies are not unsympathetic, they just don't have the resources.

Unfortunately, we are the only cat folks we know. No one in our family will take our cats. My in-laws took the dog so at least I will still get to see him.

I can't type anymore. I'm about to cry again. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Tom Cat

Do you have facebook? Maybe put a message on there and a word might get out and a friend of a friend might be able to take them. Good luck, I know it has to be hard. When I picked our two up, the lady had them for 2 months and was broken out in hives. She really wanted to keep them, she just couldn't. (((Hugs)))
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Cat

Where in Georgia? I am full up on cats according to my complex, but I know a few rescues that may take them.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Tom Cat

I may be able to help in some way, I am an hour north of Atlanta.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

MaineCoonMomma and Jadis,

We are an hour south of Atlanta. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by marie73; 06-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Cat

I will email you
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
PZR's Mommy, I am unable to help, but I just want to say that I sympathize with what you're going through. I have to rehome one of my cats, and it's tearing me apart.

----------
Renée
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janz View Post
All humane and rescue groups I know expect you to return pets if it doesn't work out. When I adopted my cats (one from a rescue and one from a shelter) I had to sign an agreement stating I would return them if at any time I no longer wanted them .
I'm right next to you in NJ and the shelter where I adopted Autumn from also told me to give her back to them if I could no longer care for her, I also had to sign papers saying so also. I guess it just depends on the shelter or rescue group or like you said, different states do things differently.

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page