Good sites to place ads for kittens? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to Poetess
Good sites to place ads for kittens?

As some of you have probably seen, I posted a thread with a semi-feral cat that my brother took in, that later had kittens in their home.

My brother and sister-in-law have 5 cats (counting the momma cat and 1 kitten they decided to keep), 2 dogs and a rabbit. They don't feel they have enough room or time to keep all 4 of the kittens. I'd happily take one, but I'm bound by lease to have only one pet. They are hoping to find homes for the kittens in a couple weeks. Someone has offered to take them, but they want them for farms cats - they'd be outside in the country as kittens (when only ever being inside) but we don't want that. We'd prefer they get in homes. There is one no-kill shelter in this county, which is where I got Finn, but it's a small shelter and appears to be crowded with animals - couple cats in a cage, etc. They usually are there for at least a couple months before finding homes, so that's not ideal. We're trying to find good homes on our own, so they can stay in a nice home until they move.

Are there any good, free pet ad sites out there?

I'm putting 100% in to help them find some suitable homes to go to. Some ad/site options and advice would be extremely appreciated.

- Carolyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior Cat

craigslist is prob your best bet- its a good idea to ask for a small re-homing or adoption fee, people actually take free animals and sell them for animal testing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Tom Cat

If you have any friends and/or relatives who work for companies that have an intranet site (site for employees only), ask them to post an ad on your behalf. My twin sister works for a large government agency and she posted ads for the teenage to adult cats (not kittens) my friend and I were trying to place into Forever Homes. We adopted three cats that way. If there is anything interesting about the cats--a "hook"--play that up in your ad. In our case, these cats had been abandoned and lived on the streets for several months before being retrapped and removed into my friend's cattery. After proper re-socialization, they were ready to be placed into Forever Homes.
PetFinder is an option, but I got spams and no legitimate inquiries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan841 View Post
craigslist is prob your best bet- its a good idea to ask for a small re-homing or adoption fee, people actually take free animals and sell them for animal testing
or you can even advertise a small fee, the people picking up free animals to resell them won't call. then if you trust whoever calls or shows up, you can waive the fee.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan841 View Post
Yes, I went ahead and put up a listing on Craigslist a few days ago. I've had one e-mail that I replied to, and never got a call back or e-mail back. I later in the day got one call, and she said she'd think about it and call me back later in the day and never did. I believe she was about an 40 miles away, though. She may have decided to go with a near-by shelter. I live in a small town that's about 40-45 miles away from the capital, so I imagine some of the hits may come from the Des Moines area.

I listed them as being $5 apiece for rehoming fee, but I wasn't sure what would be appropriate for kittens that hadn't yet gotten shots or gotten neutered/spayed. I saw a lot of the pets on there to be rehomed were pets they'd had at least a couple years and already had shots, etc. Plus they had beds, toys, food, and such that went with them.

Should I have made it a higher fee?

I was hoping if I put up an ad on a couple places, that I may get some more serious and suitable inquiries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzpg View Post
If you have any friends and/or relatives who work for companies that have an intranet site (site for employees only), ask them to post an ad on your behalf. My twin sister works for a large government agency and she posted ads for the teenage to adult cats (not kittens) my friend and I were trying to place into Forever Homes. We adopted three cats that way. If there is anything interesting about the cats--a "hook"--play that up in your ad. In our case, these cats had been abandoned and lived on the streets for several months before being retrapped and removed into my friend's cattery. After proper re-socialization, they were ready to be placed into Forever Homes.
PetFinder is an option, but I got spams and no legitimate inquiries.
About PetFinder, I just went on the site and registered, but I'm not sure how to post an ad/classified. I clicked on "Classifieds" and it came up with this: The Petfinder Classifieds are no longer available. We encourage you to work with your local animal shelter to find and reunite lost pets.

So, not sure how to do it on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post
or you can even advertise a small fee, the people picking up free animals to resell them won't call. then if you trust whoever calls or shows up, you can waive the fee.
Yes, that is an option. I/We will want to talk with these people on the phone and meet them before we let them take a kitten.

- Carolyn

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

I put flyers up in my vet's office and had friends put them up at their offices. Also the eBay classifieds, kijiji.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

I would go with flyers in vet offices. I think $5 is much too small.....some people will use kitties as snake food. Most shelters in my area charge around $90+ for kittens (spayed/neutered, vet checked, shots, microchips and even "gifts" such as bag of cat food or toy), so I think you have to be close to your local shelter's price. In your flyers, use the most adorable picture you have....often it's the picture(s) that sell the kitty.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
I would go with flyers in vet offices. I think $5 is much too small.....some people will use kitties as snake food. Most shelters in my area charge around $90+ for kittens (spayed/neutered, vet checked, shots, microchips and even "gifts" such as bag of cat food or toy), so I think you have to be close to your local shelter's price. In your flyers, use the most adorable picture you have....often it's the picture(s) that sell the kitty.
Here the shelter charged me $35 for Finn - shots and neutering included. But I have a feeling if we put the fee upto $30-$35 like the shelter, people would just go to the shelter instead. These kittens need their shots and to be neutered/spayed. My brother and sister-in-law just bought a house a couple months ago, so they don't have a good $800+ to throw around - that'd be probably $150-$200 per kitten. Plus he's getting the momma cat taken in for all shots and to be spayed soon as well. Maybe I should go upto $15 per kitten. I will see about making some flyers, though.

- Carolyn

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Most shelters in my area charge around $90+ for kittens (spayed/neutered, vet checked, shots, microchips and even "gifts" such as bag of cat food or toy),
The shelters here charge $200 for kittens.

I think putting the fee up to $15 is better. $5 is nothing, and if you're planning to waive it if you meet the right sort of people, all it does is get rid of the people that aren't serious.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

When I rehomed Gigi, I put right in the ad that I was asking exactly the same as the shelter ($75 at the time). People on Craigslist will flag you if you ask too much, too little, etc. Bunch of jerks. They left my ad alone, thank goodness. But since the kittens won't be fixed, so you can't really do that. I would ask $25, and if you have a good feeling about the person, lower it.

I didn't even take the money in the end, didn't feel right. I really did just want a good home for her.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page