Cat Dilemma - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat Dilemma

Hello everyone, I am having a major issue regarding my two cats that is really upsetting me. Back in August i adopted two cats and they have been living with my parents and I in our two bedroom apartment. Just last week my landlord who lives on the first floor came to our house(second floor), and told us that the cats are "making too much noise" and have to go. This seems a bit ridiculous to me because how much noise could two six pound cats make? Anyway, its his property and my parents and I have to abide by his rules. However, my parents have been in the market to purchase a new home even before we got the cats, but its a long process of finding the perfect house for us. I am estimating that the process should take another five to six months. Is there any way I can find a temporary home for my cats for five or six months? I have asked a lot of my friends and friends friends about it but everyone is saying no. I currently live in Chicago so if someone out there could help me with a solution that would be great. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Cat Addict

There's a good animal welfare organization in Chicago my friend was a part of called PAWS Chicago. I think they have a network of foster homes. Even if they can't provide a short term foster for you, they may know of some resource for you.

I think the website is PAWS Chicago | Chicago's largest No Kill humane and adoption organization.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
There's a good animal welfare organization in Chicago my friend was a part of called PAWS Chicago. I think they have a network of foster homes. Even if they can't provide a short term foster for you, they may know of some resource for you.

I think the website is PAWS Chicago | Chicago's largest No Kill humane and adoption organization.
Paws is actually where I adopted my two cats from. I already called them and they gave me a number to a crisis center. When I called the women I talked to told me that my situation does not qualify for the program, and even if it did they only provide a temporary home for up to thirty days for the cats. She told me the program is only for people who had their houses burned down or foreclosed, evicted, etc resulting in no place for their pets to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Cat

how about a month to month rental ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabiesDaddy View Post
how about a month to month rental ?
What do you mean month to month rental? Like a new apartment or a month to month boarding place for my cats? If it's the second one can you recommend me some? Thats exactly what I have been looking for.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadikeen View Post
What do you mean month to month rental? Like a new apartment or a month to month boarding place for my cats? If it's the second one can you recommend me some? Thats exactly what I have been looking for.
I think the poster means an apartment, and in my opinion that's a good suggestion. There are places available to rent by the month rather than on a lease. It's usually a bit more expensive per month (because the landlord has to assume the risk of it going empty if you don't stay) but it would give you the flexibility to stay only until your new home is ready. It would be worth looking into.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Cat

Cat Dilemma

If its not too much trouble I would look into the legality of your landlord's demand. Here in NYC if a pet is living in your apartment for over 3 months and the landlord and/or his employees see and know you have a pet, you are allowed to have the pet, even if the lease says otherwise or the landlord threatens to evict you for it. There may be similar protections in Chicago.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Premier Cat

I second coyt about checking the legality. From what you say, I take it that this is a 2-family house, with just you upstairs and the landlord downstairs. Did your parents sign a lease? If so, they should check to see what it says about pets. Did your landlord know that you'd gotten cats in August?

Of course, you don't want this to get contentious, but if he knows that you're looking for a house, maybe you could just ask him nicely to be willing to put up with the kitties until you're able to find a house.

At the very least, I think you should ask what kinds of noise they're making. Sometimes things are noisier than you'd think, but he should at least give you an explanation and a chance to correct the problem before telling you that you can't have the cats.

Is it thumps? Is it meowing? Ball toys? If you've got wood floors and they're jumping down from things and making thumping noises, maybe you can get a couple of rugs to muffle the thumps. Or if they're chasing toys that have bells, just take them away at night, or get toys that don't make noise.

The landlord just seems to be a cat-unfriendly person who's making excuses.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Cat Addict

I like all these suggestions about legality and consideration. Maybe added carpets would help, how about a little extra $ in the landlord's hands. Address the specific issue. What is really going on?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately last week i found a new permanent home for Marco. He seems happy and in a stable situation which puts my mind at ease. All that mattered to me was doing whats best for him. I currently still have my other cat Bella and going through this depression of not having Marco is in return going to make me fight for Bella to stay with us. I do have carpet floors so how much noise could they be making? Just as Spirite said, i think my landlord just doesnt like cats and is making up excuses for my parents and I to get rid of them. I wish I would have known about this law earlier so I wouldnt have had to give up Marco but now its too late. It would be inhumane to ask him back because his new owner seemed attached the moment i gave him to her. However i think things worked out for the best. Marco has a good home and Bella is staying with us no matter what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page