Neighbors moved and left their cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Neighbors moved and left their cat

Well, I am not too happy right now. I went to get Nyska back inside and not only her came but Zorro, the snowshoe Siamese that lives on the corner showed up too. The neighbors moved a week ago! They left that poor cat! I am so upset. The poor thing was starving, he ate two cans of food and a little bit of dry food. He seems pretty scared and did not let me catch him, it is dark, and I did not want to chase him in my pajamas. I have known that little guy since he was a kitten. I can not believe they would just leave him like that. Just to be sure I am going to ask around make sure that any of the neighbors took him in and he was just wandering tonight. Sorry about my rambling I just need to vent, if he is on his own I will take him in, he is a sweet cat, about two years old. I'll let you know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 AM
Cat

Do you have the contact info for the neighbors that left? Just to make sure the cat didn't run away 1) before they left & they couldn't find him 2) that he didn't run away from where they just moved to & find his way back to the old house

if they did leave him, I agree, they are evil. Anyway I'm glad you happened to see him, that little guy sounds scared & hungry
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

They were a young couple that rented a little house on the corner. College students. We talked to them ocassionallybut we were not close. But you do have a point, he may have gotten away and made his way back over here. It is the first time I have seen him since they moved. Hopefully, you are right. I'll let you know. I was just sitting here thinking about taking him to the vet, neutering him, introducing him to the other cats in the house ( I am a worrywart) and maybe I don't have to do all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Premier Cat

Care for him as much as you can but in the meantime post a Craigslist ad (with pic) in your area and the area you think they may have moved to if different. Also, a newsaper ad. They are free in my local paper for lost and found classifieds. The owners may not realize the cat would try to go home or they may be callous jerks that don't care. You'll soon find out.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Senior Cat

Oh poor kitty! I do hope it was unfortunate run away accident, and that they did not just leave him. Let us know how is everything!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Senior Cat

Also notify the humane society and/or the SPCA and county animal control to let them know you've found a kitty and give the description.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Cool Cat

That's how my Maisie ended up as a stray - his original owners left him behind when they moved. We also got one of our family pets that way when I was a kid. Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon scenario.

That said, it is somewhat possible that, as people said, the cat got away during the move or made his way back from wherever they're living now. I don't think it's a great sign that you didn't already know he was missing if that was the case, because it doesn't speak to them making much of an effort to get him back - but there may be some extenuating circumstance involved.

Maybe one of your neighbours or their former landlord has contact info for them, so you can just talk to them and clear it up?

I do think it's a good idea to try to make sure they know their cat has been found. I also think, though, that the burden of effort is more on the owner to get their cat back than on the finder to try to track down an MIA owner - especially when they know where they used to live but you don't know where they've gone.

If you can't find them with a reasonable effort and they don't contact anyone in the neighbourhood within the next couple of weeks, I think you're fine to consider him yours if you want him. Thanks for looking out for him!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Cool Cat

I agree with B.G., make a resonable effort to contact the owners, but the onus should really be on them to get in touch with you in a situation like this if you've already taken the appropriate steps to try to reach them. I know if one of my cats were missing after a move no one from my old neighbourhood would have any trouble contacting me; I'd be back there going door to door, distributing fliers and crawling around under people's porches with a baggie of Temptations.

I have a fearful stray/semi-feral that joined my feral colony sometime over the Christmas holidays. I regularily check humane society and animal services lost and found postings online, and have contacted anyone who has reported a cat missing in the area that bears even a superficial resembalance to this cat based on the description they give. I would really like to believe that there's sombody out there looking for her, but, realistically, chances are that she was abandoned. It really does happen all the time.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8thd View Post
I'd be back there going door to door, distributing fliers and crawling around under people's porches with a baggie of Temptations.
This would be me too! Poor baby, hopefully you can catch him.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Cat

He's not neutered? I'd go ahead and have that done anyway, regardless of whether he ran away or was abandoned. If he was lost, seems they'd be back looking for him, posting flyers and ads. I live in a college town.Cats are abandoned constantly. I had to stop hiking at a certain lake that houses a small resident campus, because I couldn't bear to see all the abandoned cats every May. I wrote to the college to complain. Never got an answer. I wrote a letter to the paper too. It wasn't printed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page