Can't afford vet bills :'( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Can't afford vet bills :'(

When I brought in my beautiful Violet, I figured I'd just need to get her fixed and vaccinated. She seemed very healthy and energetic.

However, I've been to the vet twice already for other things. The first visit, they said she was fine, but took a stool sample that came back positive for an intestinal parasite. That was $85 plus the medication, which luckily was only $16.

Now she's going back to the vet tomorrow, as she is throwing up every single time she eats and is getting very skinny. I've tried switching to food after food to no avail. That vet visit will be another $85, plus whatever tests or treatment they may give.

I also got the quote for her fixing and vaccinations, and it was over $300. Someone with a full time job could swing in a couple months, but not me on my part-time pet store salary. I refuse to take her to one of those cheap places, as I've heard the ones nearby have sent cats home with worms, and that they don't save the cat on the table if something goes wrong during surgery.

I love her with all my heart, and am tearing up right now just searching out my options, but I know I can't afford to keep her healthy and happy right now. She's already displaying some definite signs of needing to be fixed, and that behavior is getting out of control. She's an angel with people when they want to cuddle her or lay with her, but when she's alone, not so much. I was told it's because she really needs to be fixed ASAP.

I'm going to see what the vet says tomorrow about what my options are, if I even have any, but I know it's going to hurt my bank account. I'm very low as it is, with rent and all, and my bearded dragon.

As a last resort, however, I may have to let someone with more money in the bank take her on. As soon as she's healthy, I know she'll be an incredible cat. She already is.

Anyone with any info at all, any suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose my little love, but if the right home will take her, it may be what's best.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Cool Cat

Would a temporary second part time job be an option? To me, it sounds much better than giving up an animal. Sure you'll be stressed, busy, and not have much time to yourself but wouldn't it be worth it in the long run?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Senior Cat

That's really rough, I can only imagine. I don't know what I'd do in that situation :/.

Maybe try giving your local shelter a call and telling them about your tight financial situation. They could probably get you some sort of deal on the spay and vaccines. 300$ seems steep, but it varies from vet to vet. When we adopt cats from the shelter they're 150$ which includes their care, price of spay, and all vaccines, so asking a shelter could give you a good deal.

Also try checking out other vets, of course you don't want to go to a sketchy, dirty vet that has a history of pets coming home with worms, but like I said, 300$ seems steep. I know our local vet charges I think 25$ or something for a neuter and 50-75$ for the spay, and I don't think her vaccinations are expensive either.

If after that the vet you're currently at is still your only option at that price see what kind of payment plan you can set up, if you can. See if you can pay them so much a month/bi-weekly, it's still the same price, but a little bit coming off over time is much easier to handle than the whole chunk at once :/

If the vets office won't set up a payment plan maybe ask a close friend/family member who are in a better financial position if they'd work something out. See if they'll take the initial loss, and then you pay them back as you get the money, set up a budget where they get a certain amount every pay check.

If all of that works out, and those initial vet expenses are taken care of start putting a small percentage of every pay check away for just these sorts of emergency's. The initial vet bills after a pet adoption can be expensive. Kittens OFTEN get worms, it's very common. After those initial treatments, vaccines, and spay/neuter things tend to slow down (though not always of course). We had our last girl for 11 years without a single incident, took her to the vet once for tips about her weight and that was it.

Also, this newest development could be a possible reaction to the vaccine/the vaccine didn't work completely. It could also show a possible food allergy. Or it could just be an upset stomach from too many food changes with so much else already going on. The vet should give you a better idea tomorrow.

Good luck with the checkup! Let us know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ozma View Post
Would a temporary second part time job be an option? To me, it sounds much better than giving up an animal. Sure you'll be stressed, busy, and not have much time to yourself but wouldn't it be worth it in the long run?
I don't have a car (another thing I can't afford) so there's very few options within walking distance of my current job. There's also no nearby bus runs. Trust me, I'd love to. I'm willing to dip into my life savings, but I'm also moving across the country in march, and need that car, so I can't dip in too much.

Like I said, it's a very last resort. My fiancee made me look into the option, as he's already lending me about $250 this month and i still have nothing. I didn't want to.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Premier Cat

Check out your local shelter and/or other animal services organizations, they may have a reduced fee spaying for lower income families. Also, check with other vets and see if you could come up with a payment plan. I wish you and Violet the best.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I tried contacting shelters when I first got her, and none wanted anything to do with us. They never even called me back to say they couldn't help.

I will definitely look into a payment plan option, though. I didn't realize vets did that. It would be extremely helpful. We also have a vet affiliated with the pet store that I work at, and they tend to be especially helpful to employees, so there's that. I hate to ask for special favors, but it's worth a shot.

She was never vaccinated, so the throwing up isn't related to that. I went through different foods with the possibilities of allergies and nothing has helped, so that's something I'm going to ask about tomorrow. I hope they have a relatively simple solution, because I'm definitely starting to get worried.

Thank you so much!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

thank you I'm going to look into it. There aren't many vets around here to choose from, so I just picked the one my parents go to with their cat.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Tom Cat

We use Care Credit for our vet bills, it's like a credit card that has a certain useable balance on it, and they give you like 12 or something months to pay it off. I don't think the interest is high. It's been a great thing for us.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. How do I go about doing that?

Last edited by marie73; 11-12-2013 at 11:14 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Tom Cat

You sign up here, Healthcare and Medical Financing for Consumers | CareCredit™. My husband did it a few years ago but from what I remember it was very fast, and you can even start using the service before they send you the card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page