City of Toronto: adoption fee waived for black cats - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I consider just about any adoption fee (even ones in the higher end of the price range) a very reasonable cost, once you consider everything that's included. All the initial vet costs for both of my cats easily cost over $1000 (initial checkup, vaccinations, stool tests, de-worming, spay/neuter).

So barring another cat simply wandering into my home off the street, adopting through an animal shelter is definitely what I would do.

Caretaker of two black cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotu View Post
The adoption center in our area is giving $50 off the normal adoption fees on black Friday if the cat/kitten has any black fur. The rescue that we adopted our kittens from uses this shop...so kittens who are normally $160 are $110 Go black kitties...find a home!
I agree, this seem REALLY high! Our animal shelter charges only $25 for already spayed cats; more for kittens but well under $65. SPCA is more at $80 and private shelters even more but I don't think anyone charges much more than $100 for a cat here in SE Virginia.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Tom Cat

I just checked the local shelter page and cats are $60...kittens $110. There is a message about a recent policy to spay/neuter before releasing the pet for adoption. I'm not sure if that increased the price or it just stayed the same. Our kittens were originally in the shelter a couple days before a rescue came in to raise them in a foster home. It was mentioned by the rescue that it is a high-kill shelter so I'm not sure if they would have survived had they not been moved to the rescue's foster home. With the $50 discount at the adoption center today, I read a couple comments on the rescue's facebook page about people interested in getting another cat/kitten as a sibling! I'm hoping to read of some adoptions tonight. I really hope the black kitten who looks like our Delta is chosen or chooses someone. She looks so much like Delta. She was put up for adoption shortly after Delta and missed months of having a home. On petfinder.com she has moved from "baby" status, to "young". Delta had 3 other black kittens in her litter and I think they were lucky to be on the early end of the adoption season (born in February).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
dt8thd you are awesome and a true rescuer. Hats off to you for digging deep into your pockets to help save and give a cat a great life.
Thanks. It would honestly be so much easier to keep the tame cats I end up with; it can be really difficult to find cats homes and arrange for fosters, but that really wouldn't be practical... or healthy, and it really is gratifying when the cats do get adopted into great, loving, forever homes. Ugh, I certainly never intended to be as involved in adoption co-ordination as I am, but it's hard not to get sucked in when it means the difference between a great home with a loving family and life on the streets for a tame cat. It seems that I've essentially, inadvertently, started my own rescue group. At some point I may decide to file for not-for-profit status, so that I can accept donations, but I'm against doing that at the moment because it involves even more of a commitment. Any more commitments, and I may have to be committed.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Cat Addict

Vancouver has those prices beat, dogs are 400-500, and it's 150 for an adult cat and 180 for a kitten. I've never adopted from a shelter but I think it's completely fair and I'm glad our shelters can charge that much, it shows that they're running closer to a sustainable model. I'm always sad when I hear about giving away pets or super low fees. The more they cost the more serious the adopter should be and the more closely it reflects the real costs of caring for the animal. That my city can charge that shows we're winning the "war" on unneutered dogs and cats.

Blacky was free and Jasper was 50 dollars for neuter, FIV/FeLV testing and leg stitching through the local stray/feral program. It would have included shots but they needed boosters and I wasn't bringing him back. That said, I don't think most people pay that, most people would probably have to give the cat over to the sanctuary, but they knew me so wanted me to keep working with him.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 11-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Tom Cat

dt8thd-anyone else nearby who shares your passion for the cats who would team up with you in establishing a rescue? Then the entire burden wouldn't be on you and you could choose someone with like-minded goals. 2 sisters run the rescue where we got our kittens and they also seem to have a lot of support. I think they both have full-time jobs and manage to help so many cats/kittens in need. I hear you with the commitment thing, though...definitely something you'd want to be ready to do. What you are doing now sounds great as well
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Premier Cat

Pretty much everyone here charges $125 for all cats. Age doesn't matter. Though a couple of the rescues here have a seniors for seniors program where they give an older cat to older people for free and pay for vet care, so it's basically a foster program. However, our city shelter charges $200-$250 for cats, depending on age etc. Which is so stupid as they lose out on adoptions that way... especially since they still euth. However, now that they have partnered with Petland, adoptable animals are not euth'd anymore.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Premier Cat

I probably should also say all kitties are neutered, vaccinated, tested, wormed and tattooed/microchipped

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I agree, this seem REALLY high! Our animal shelter charges only $25 for already spayed cats; more for kittens but well under $65. SPCA is more at $80 and private shelters even more but I don't think anyone charges much more than $100 for a cat here in SE Virginia.
Just about everything is more expensive up here in Canada.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I consider just about any adoption fee (even ones in the higher end of the price range) a very reasonable cost, once you consider everything that's included. All the initial vet costs for both of my cats easily cost over $1000 (initial checkup, vaccinations, stool tests, de-worming, spay/neuter).

So barring another cat simply wandering into my home off the street, adopting through an animal shelter is definitely what I would do.
This shocked me - I thought prices were high here but compared to that..... ours are chicken feed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page