City of Toronto: adoption fee waived for black cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Post City of Toronto: adoption fee waived for black cats

Adoption fees waived for black cats at Toronto animal shelters | Our Life In Toronto

I thought this was worth posting for those living in the Toronto area thinking of adopting a cat. I guess you could call this a Black Friday promotion?

Quote:
The City of Toronto is holding a cat adoption blitz in honour of Black Friday from Friday, November 29 to Sunday, December 1. Residents can go home with a kitten or cat with any black colouring, without paying the usual $75 adoption fee (there is a $15 pet licence fee or $7.50 for seniors). More than 150 cats are up for adoption at the City’s four animal shelters, as well as at a number of adoption partner locations.
All cats and kittens are sterilized (spayed/neutered), micro-chipped, vet-checked, de-wormed and vaccinated.

Approximately 210 cats and kittens were adopted during the recent Fall in Love adoption campaign across the city. There is still an immediate need to find homes for more than 150 cats and kittens. Black cats are traditionally the last to find permanent homes.

North Animal Shelter and Spay Neuter Clinic
1300 Sheppard Avenue West
North Animal Shelter Phone: 416-338-8723

South Animal Shelter

140 Princes’ Blvd,
Phone: 416-338-6668

East Animal Shelter
821 Progress Avenue
Phone: 416-338-7539

West Animal Shelter
146 The East Mall, Toronto, ON M9B 1B9
Phone: 416-338-6271

Caretaker of two black cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Cool Cat

Thanks for posting this, tezster! I saw an ad/article in the Toronto Star this morning advertising this.

...Incidentally, Sophie is a black DLH who's at the East shelter right now. She's a wonderful, super-sweet, little cat that we trapped behind the Recovery Centre, and she's looking for a forever home. Just throwing it out there.

This is Sophie.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Premier Cat

I wonder if they waived all adoption fees for all cats in lieu of donations if they would get more $$$. I know people can be generous when the need is great. Good on Toronto, though!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Tom Cat

The adoption center in our area is giving $50 off the normal adoption fees on black Friday if the cat/kitten has any black fur. The rescue that we adopted our kittens from uses this shop...so kittens who are normally $160 are $110 Go black kitties...find a home!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotu View Post
The adoption center in our area is giving $50 off the normal adoption fees on black Friday if the cat/kitten has any black fur. The rescue that we adopted our kittens from uses this shop...so kittens who are normally $160 are $110 Go black kitties...find a home!
Wow that is a high fee for adoptions in US! We had been charging $35 lately. Normal price is $65 in our community. We normally spend apx $150 now for each cat which comes in if they are in good shape. s/n, vaccinations, deworm, felv, fiv testing, fecal test for parasites, wellness exams, free two rounds of soft claws, free vet visit once you adopt a cat at one of our recommended vets!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Wow that is a high fee for adoptions in US! We had been charging $35 lately. Normal price is $65 in our community.
I live near Toronto and recently adopted 2 cats. My community charges $150 plus tax and plus $40 lifetime license fee per cat, it's higher for dogs and they come fixed, chipped & shots. They also offer 6 weeks of pet insurance but I won't be using mine.

It's high compared to the prices I see in the states and in larger cities(like Toronto) but still WAY cheaper than taking a cat off the street and doing everything through a vet. I've done both and would rather adopt.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Cat Addict

My two new adoptees came home today - both jet black - brother and sister! I find it so sad that some colours are so neglected - even unpopular.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Cool Cat

I live in Toronto, and I charge $100 for the cats that I adopt out privately. It's more than Toronto Animal Services or the Toronto Humane Society charge, which is about $60, I think, but less than the local rescues, which typically charge between $120 and $175.

The cats I adopt out are always spayed/neutered, microchipped, and have received rabies and FVRCP vaccinations. Most are dewormed and given Revolution. Many of them have also had a standard vet check and I do often snap combo test for FIV and FeLV, as the cats I adopt out are typically tame cats that I've trapped at feral colonies while performing TNR. Even getting the spay/neuter, microchip, and vaccinations for free (which I do, as the cats go through one of the city's free feral spay/neuter clinics whenever possible) $100 still doesn't even come close to covering my out of pocket expenses. I took a cat to the vet last Saturday before dropping her off at her foster home because I've been treating her for an URI for over a month without seeing full improvement. It cost me over $500 after everything was said and done! Of course, that's more than I typically pay to vet a rescue because of the particular circumstances, but that's, like, almost half a paycheck for me. I care about the cats finding loving forever homes more than I do about money, but it's a big drain on my finances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
My two new adoptees came home today - both jet black - brother and sister! I find it so sad that some colours are so neglected - even unpopular.
Congrats on the new furbabies, Arianwen!

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Premier Cat

dt8thd you are awesome and a true rescuer. Hats off to you for digging deep into your pockets to help save and give a cat a great life.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Tom Cat

M/T- I think the price is kind of average here based on petfinder (range $100-200) per kitten...less for adults. Our kittens were raised at a foster home and were given such good care...came w/ vaccines up-to-date, microchipped and spayed. The rescue seems to encourage a continued relationship and a genuine concern. I know that the spaying alone is probably worth the cost. I really liked that they were early spay (@8 weeks), so once they came to live with us, they didn't have to go through that process when they got older. I do think that the rescues want to be sure that people who adopt are willing to spend (and can afford to spend) $$ on the cat. I was a little surprised at the prices at first too since our last cat (a foundling from the streets who was given to my husband before we met) was "free". We plan to continue to donate $$ to the rescue anyway, so will end up spending more than the adoption fee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page