Kittens in WI need homes - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Cool Cat

Such sweet kittens!

I don't live near you, but I have a lot of family members in and around Milwaukee whom I'll be visiting the first week of September. I'll do some asking around while I'm there if you still have these kittens then.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

That would be very sweet, dt8thd! Thank you.

I might end up keeping one. I've posted about him here before. He has a broken leg that has healed, but he has no growth plates in that leg now. It may need to be amputated when he's older. So I'm having a hard time trusting anyone else to take him.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby88 View Post
That would be very sweet, dt8thd! Thank you.

I might end up keeping one. I've posted about him here before. He has a broken leg that has healed, but he has no growth plates in that leg now. It may need to be amputated when he's older. So I'm having a hard time trusting anyone else to take him.
He's absolutely adorable! If you're able to keep him, that would be a good solution to the adoption problem. I always disclose health issues like that to potential adopters, as is only correct if you're a reputable person whose first concern is the well-being of the cat, and as I'm sure any of us here would, but it sucks because things like the potential need for surgery in the future do make a cat less adoptable. As if a pet's health is ever guaranteed.

There are some wonderful people who are willing to take on cats with costly health issues, but they're a lot harder to find, especially when you're adopting such cats out privately. I've ended up footing some pretty expensive vet bills for cats that aren't my own because I do private adoptions.

Luckily, with a kitten that may or may not require an operation in the future, there's enough time for you, or the right adoptive cat mom or dad, to plan ahead and put money aside. Selfishly, I do hope that you end up keeping him, though because I'd love for the updates and photos to continue; he's so cute, and I bet he'll be a very handsome man when he grows up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Jr. Cat

Hello, fellow Wisconsinites! I live just north of Germantown. I wish I could adopt one of those sweet Kitties, but I actually just adopted one! I just wanted to suggest that you can weed out people by asking them to find a vet and pre-pay for the first visit. Then you can call the vet yourself and check. I recently saw an ad like this. I'm not sure what you are all looking for in a potential home though.
I recently trapped a feral kitten, thinking I could do the TNR program because I know Washington County has it. Unfortunately, my particular city does not support TNA, so when I took the kitty in to the humane society, I was told they could not allow me to release her. The good news, was that because the kitty was young, she could be surrendered as a stray, and adopted out. I would have liked to have kept her myself, but my boyfriend was not ready to make a commitment yet. I stand by my choice to turn her over, because the humane society has stick guidelines for adoption, and for kittens, it costs $100.00 to adopt. They assured me that they never put down Kitties for space reasons, or for not being adopted by any amount of time. I only tell you this story, because if you are truly that worried about the type of home the Kitties will find, you can turn in strays to the Washington County Humane Society, and they will for sure find them a good home. They will also keep you informed, and let you call to check on the Kitties. I'm not saying you should do this, but it could be an option if it would make you feel more comfortable about finding a good home.

Whatever you decide, good luck. You must be a very good person to care for these kittens so well. They are absolutely gorgeous.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Jr. Cat

Ugh. I apologize for my many typos.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 AM
Kitten

Have you tried contacting HAWS?

When I was younger, I took some classes there. I really liked there set up,& what they did with the cats. There a no kill shelter.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I love Haws. I have adopted from them many times. I have a little white mouse named Boo that I got from there. I also enjoy helping volunteer for their events. Technically, they are not a no kill shelter. But they only euthanize in cases where the animals can't be rehabilitated or are ill.

They also do ads for people looking to rehome pets, but again, they have to be neutered. I also don't want to give him to a shelter. I think he'd be much happier staying here until he finds a home. I hate the idea of him being in a cage, and if he doesn't find a home, there would be the possibility of putting him to sleep due to his leg issue.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 05:26 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby88 View Post
I love Haws. I have adopted from them many times. I have a little white mouse named Boo that I got from there. I also enjoy helping volunteer for their events. Technically, they are not a no kill shelter. But they only euthanize in cases where the animals can't be rehabilitated or are ill.

They also do ads for people looking to rehome pets, but again, they have to be neutered. I also don't want to give him to a shelter. I think he'd be much happier staying here until he finds a home. I hate the idea of him being in a cage, and if he doesn't find a home, there would be the possibility of putting him to sleep due to his leg issue.
My suggestion would be to contact a local TNR group and explain the situation. Some groups, such as Dane County Friends of Ferals (located in Madison) hold regular feral spay/neuter clinics. Friends of Ferals does apparently allow members of the public to book appointments at their clinics--it's not free, but they only ask $25 for both surgery and vaccinations. Their website says that the clinic is specifically for outdoor cats, but if their clinic is anything like our feral spay/neuter clinics in Toronto, feral kittens that have been fostered and socialized while waiting to be large enough for early spay/neuter still qualify, even if the ultimate goal is to find them indoor homes. In addition, many cat rescues and TNR groups hold adoption events specifically geared towards finding homes for tame cats or socialized feral kittens that they've acquired as a result of their TNR activities, and may be able to help you get your remaining kittens adopted as well, either at an adopt-a-thon, or by posting the kittens on their website, or even by suggesting other resources or organizations that may be able to help.

Here's the link for Dane County Friends of Ferals:
http://www.daneferals.org/

I just Googled "Wisconsin trap neuter return" to find their site, and I haven't done a ton of digging, but it looks like a good place to start. They also have a resources page, which might help you find TNR resources a little closer to home. I would suggest calling and speaking with someone at whatever rescues you do contact if at all possible.

I leave for Wisconsin this Sunday. We'll be staying with my aunt and uncle in Fort Atkinson, but we'll likely take a day trip or two into Milwaukee to visit some of my cousins. If there's any way that I can help while I'm in town, let me know. I'll have my phone with me, so I should get catforum updates while I'm there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page