Shelter numbers on the rise? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Shelter numbers on the rise?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

Maybe it's just around me or its everywhere I'm not sure. But it seems like shelters have been getting a lot of cats/kittens in the last few weeks and little to no adoptions! Our shelter just last week took in 8 adults and 3 litters of kittens or 12 total. Doesn't seem like a lot but they were already crowded!! Luckily it's a no kill and rescues are pretty good around here with helping out and there seems to be a good volunteer base. As many know I self foster meaning I don't go through a rescue and everything is 100% my responsibility. I got 3 calls yesterday from people begging me to come get there kittens. I had to decline as I have a litter coming in about 4 weeks and didnt want to be in a time crunch to get 9 kittens placed!! I did pass them all some numbers of other people I "work" with. We're all on a pet rehome site and kind of all work together and even if we are not fostering we help people find appropriate homes for there kittens/cat/dogs etc. the weirdest one so far has been a snake,lol. Luckily someone else took on the snake one because I had no idea how to do that one! But anyway it's sad seeing "have anothe batch in" all over FB and other places. Even dog adoptions have been down but turn ins have been up. Hopefully this spell ends soon because the kill shelter is full again :/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Cat Addict

It's so heartbreaking. So many cats so few places. I so hope it eases off and adoptions go up very soon.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Jr. Cat

There's an old dirt road near our farm where people sometimes dump both dogs and cats, and there was a spike during the recession when we had new cats showing up. My cousin's husband down the road seems to end up with the dogs.

I'm doing a presentation at a town council meeting in October to promote TNR and spay/neuter programs in general. I live in a nearby city, but in rural/small town areas, you still run into a lot of people who have weird attitudes about spaying/neutering animals and/or who don't have good access to low-cost spay/neuter services. It's hard to get them to see the bigger picture about the oversupply of animals compared to adopters.

Some people seem to think that spaying/neutering animals is somehow interfering in the natural order of things or that female cats should, for some reason, have one litter of kittens, and country people can be very resistant to people coming in and suggesting that they aren't doing things the right way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Banned

How heavy is the publicity and "getting the word out" about animals needing homes in your area? My area, in and around Albany NY, is a hotbed of animal advocacy.

The shelters in my area, especially Mohawk-Hudson Humane Society (that's where I found Shelly), have been doing a lot of getting the word out about animals needing homes. MHHS partners with several local PetSmart locations, and actually have recently opened a whole new adoption facility in conjunction with PetSmart. One of the local TV meterologists, Steve Caporizzo, does "Pet Connection" spots on the 5:30 news several times a week, where he features a dog or cat from a local shelter that needs a home. Another local TV channel also does similar spots during their noontime news every Tuesday. The "Capital Region Pet Show" airs on Saturday at 11:30, and they have two segments each for cats and dogs on every show, featuring animals from MHHS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in