"neighbours" cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

"neighbours" cat

For the past few weeks, our "neighbours" cat has been scavenging through our bins.
I say "neighbour" because we don't know them at all, theyre foreign and keep to themselves. In fact, we've never see them before outside their house, we know they're foreign because they hung "happy birthday, Wojsck" banners up in Polish not long ago. We know it's their cat too because we often see it escaping from their window during the day.
the poor kitty is starving, I fear. She's extremely small for her age (about 1-1.5 years) and extremely skinny. We have fed her a few times and she comes in to our kitchen at night to relax. She also has severe 'burn' marks on her neck from when her owners put a chemical flea collar on her, which they thankfully took off (or someone else did).

we see her out all night, and its starting to get freezing now. We're so worried about her.
we also have the problem of our resident cat, ozzy. They hate each other! When she sits on the windowsill ozzy batters the glass and hisses, and so does she!

Has anyone got any ideas on what to do? Im scared to take her in because I know she is owned, and I would go crazy if someone took ozzy in! But she is so neglected. I dont think they speak english either, and they're pretty reclusive so im not sure how to speak to them.
if I call the RSPCA would they take her away? Or could we offer to take her?

im totally lost on what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Cat Addict

From personal experience I don't totally trust the RSPCA but your region may be better. I think it would be good if you could slip the poor little thing some food.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Cat

I would take the cat in. Keep it in a bedroom away from your other cat. Feed it enough to get it healthy. I know that someone else owns it but I wouldn't let a cat starve or freeze because the owners don't take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Premier Cat

I have to agree ^.

If it's rummaging through garbage bins for food to survive, they aren't taking care of it. I'd do just as was said above. Segregate it (you don't know what it might have) get it spayed/neutered and find a good home for it. SOmeplace that will love it and APPRECIATE it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

She's been outside for hours because ozzy keeps attacking the window we've fed her some cat food and treats tonight but she was still digging through our bin.
Im so worried taking her in because they only live 4 doors down and they would notice I think? Also they really dont like each other but I could maybe get them used to the idea.
I feel awful, weve gave her shelter outside and we're gonna seriously discuss taking her in because its so cruel
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Premier Cat

Do you have a garage? Perhaps she can live in there until she's spayed and re homed to a better place?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

We dont we have a very small yard where she's currently asleep.
We have a spare room for her though even though ozzy wouldnt be happy I dont care as long as she is safe.

we might take her the vet tomorrow if we can find her (if she leaves at night) to see if she's chipped and to get her checked over.

Im debating writing a letter to the family (if they can read english) asking if they want us to take her in, is that a good idea?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Cat

Would they really even notice if she went 'missing?' I mean, they're letting her outside to roam, many things can happen to an outdoor cat, so even if they did notice she went missing, it wouldn't be suspicious.

If you write a letter, then they'll know who you are. Plus, people can be weird, they might react very negatively to a letter like that, and then you definitely couldn't take in the cat, without suspicion..

Last edited by marie73; 10-11-2014 at 07:14 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That's a very good point!
I doubt they would notice her gone.
is it nessecary to put 'found' posters? Because if she went back I would fear if she ever went back.
We are taking her the vet tomorrow and if she isnt microchipped we wont put posters up and just treat her as a feral or something and take her in straight away.

I cant believe the poor thing asleep in a safe box we set up, surely if she could she would choose to go home? I couldn't imagine keeping ozzy out all night! They obviously arent concerned at all. And her burn marks from the collar are awful the poor thing, something needs to be done
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Premier Cat

Oh no, so sad to hear.

To give the benefit of the doubt: maybe she was a stray who just showed up at their place one day?? Also, in many countries and cultures, it's not the norm to treat cats and dogs like family members the way a lot of us do.

That said, it's probably not the norm to have a cat or dog and just not feed it...

I agree with the others lausa. I would absolutely not worry about just taking the cat in or trying to get her adopted. There's no way her owners would know what happened, and given the fact that they don't seem to be taking care of her, it's hard to imagine they'd be very upset.

If it turns out that this is all a big misunderstanding, and they put flyers up or something, you could always say that she showed up skinny, and because she didn't have a collar, you assumed she was a stray.

I've got a stray in a separate room upstairs - she showed up 4 weeks ago absolutely emaciated. And front and back declawed. I posted on craiglist that if someone had lost the kitty, I'd try to catch her (even though she was in my house) so that I could try to weed out anyone who gave me bad vibes.

Your skinny kitty is lucky to have found someone who cares more about her than her owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page