Fostering Advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Fostering Advice

Hello all,

I'm exploring the possibility of fostering for my local animal shelter, and I was looking for any advice you guys would pass on to a newbie.

I'd be doing long-term fostering for a cat who needed socialization and has emotional special needs.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you can share!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Premier Cat

Dive in!! You have enough experience to love, care and comfort this poor baby, I know. We are always here if you have specific questions though!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks, Marcia!

Yeah, at this point I don't even know exactly what to ask. I'm both anxious and excited, but I don't want to mess things up.

I guess in this case it won't be that different from adopting a new pet though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I realized how anxious I was about this whole thing when I had a nightmare last night about Bentley getting recalled to the shelter - Bentley is adopted not fostered, and I've had him for fourteen months. Funny how the mind works.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Premier Cat

An adult cat that needs socialization might benefit from a cage. A cage will help her/him feel more secure. I would get a decent sized one if you can afford it (OR a large dog kennel. Put a litter box in it and soft cozy blankets to say on. Give her a day to settle in then start offering chicken tidbits from your fingers.

if you Bing or Google "socializing feral cats" there is a ton of info.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for the suggestions! Those are good ideas!

The kitty in question isn't feral. He's from a home, but he's very shy and withdrawn. He's struggling in the shelter environment because he doesn't like noise, and they think he'd do better in foster care.

I volunteer at the shelter socializing cats, I've been working with this kitty for a few weeks. He will let me handle him (but he only likes me) at the shelter, so hopefully once he adjusts he'd continue to make progress.

Maisie came to me with some pretty serious emotional special needs, so I feel like I know what I'm doing about that part - although every cat is different, obviously. It's just the fostering part I have no experience with yet. I think you're right that I need to just dive in!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page