Can't find anyone to adopt one of our kittens - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Premier Cat

Mapper, if you don't want a house full of cats, I do agree with Librarychick...as cute kittens, they do have a better chance at being adopted, if you could adopt two of them as a pair, that would be awesome.

I have adopted kittens, as well as adults, and both have their plusses and minuses! Kittens raised together, do have each other, to burn energy off, older cats, require very slow introductions into the rest of the residents, so everyone can get along, either way, you have to have patience, and a sense of humour goes a long way!

A 'Care Credit' card, is a very good emergency backup to have, no matter the number of pets you have!

I certainly didn't go out to collect all of mine...they found me...
They're strays, rescues and dumpees...
I wouldn't get rid of one of them, for anything!
They have not trashed my house, and anyone that has visited, has been very comfortable, and not at all offended, or 'put off' by the cats! Or...the Pittie and the Border Collie!!:p
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

It's just overwhelming to think about 7 cats! I know I will be the one doing all the work too which isn't fair seeing as how my husband is the one who got us into this. I will be the one who will have to take all 5 to get spayed (already have appts for Jan. 2 for 3 of them but I guess I'll have to add 2 more) and I'll have to do that all on my own because I plan on taking a vacation day that day while my husband has to work and has no time off left. My MIL took two of them to a vet when she was here. The vet we wanted to take them too is no longer accepting new pets so they referred us to another one who MIL said was great and exams are only $20, BUT they are only open 9AM-1PM Mon-Fri which doesn't work at all for our schedules so I have to take yet another day off of work to take all of them there for their exam.

My sister turned me onto the BEST litter though! It's the Breeze system that uses pellets and not clay/sand so absolutely NO tracking of litter outside of the litter box which is a god send! The pee filtrates down through the pellets to a pad below which you change out a 1-2 times a week and the poop just stays on top and you take that out and voila! The pellets only need to be changed once a month. We've only been using it for 2 days now but it's fantastic. You do, however, need to scoop the poop pretty much immediately or it does stink.

BUT the thing I'm worried about is that city ordinance says households on less than .5 acre (which is us) are only allowed 4 pets max. Of course my husband says "Pshaw, who will ever know", but if cats are running around our yard and the neighbors yard you can be sure people will know.

And tell me how on earth will we ever go anywhere for more than a day? We have two automatic feeders now, but they are only 4 feedings each (twice a day for 2 days) and will be gobbled up immediately with 7 cats. We certainly aren't going to board 7 cats and we don't want to ask any of our neighbors to come in our house because we don't know them well enough and if we need to keep our 7 cats a secret then we certainly don't want neighbors in the house.

Last edited by marie73; 11-26-2014 at 05:10 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Have the kittens seen a vet for wellness checks? If not take them in and explain your story. They might know of a good place/ home for the kitten to go and it's not unheard of for a vet to opt to keep a kitten for themselves.
His problem now is that he's grown attached to all of them and keeps saying "but they're a family and I hate to split them up". He never really actively looked for people to take them in and when I would look and have people interested I would get "Aw you don't love them" and he'd make me feel horrible. The crazy thing is that he can't even pay his share of the bills on a regular basis but thinks having 7 cats is the right thing to do. He goes "Well I don't want you to get overwhelmed so I will buy their food and scrape out the litter boxes". Gee thanks! This was ALL your idea so you need to do EVERYTHING!

We took two to the vet but have to take the other three in, but as I explained in an earlier post, the vet we chose who has cheap exam fees is only open 9-1 Mon-Fri which doesn't work at all with our work schedules. I get all worked up over how/when we will take them in for checkups and H just says "Chill out it will all be okay". No it won't, not when you make no effort to find a vet or do the transporting!

Last edited by marie73; 11-26-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Premier Cat

Sorry, but if it were me I'd put put my foot down.

He buys the food, he makes the appoint (and the time) to get them vetted and fixed in a timely manner and he scoops the poop twice a day.

If *HE* is the one who wants them so badly then *HE* needs to be the one to make the time, the money, and the effort for them to stay.

To say you can't break up the 'family' is silly. Cat's don't feel familial connections. Cats can BOND but they don't think of family ties.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Cat Addict

It sounds to me like you don't want to keep 5 kittens, which is understandable.

I think what you need to do is chart out how much it will cost for each kitten's shots, food, litter, and s/n for the first year - then sit down with hubby and have an honest discussion about how much work and cost this will be.

IMO he's being a little selfish by wanting to keep all the kittens, his heart is in the right place, but he's not understanding that with 5 kittens you won't be able to give them the attention they deserve. It's like having 5 toddlers, it CAN be done...but it's a heck of a lot more work than 1 toddler, and each one will get a smaller piece of your attention because of it.

You can't just surrender the kittens without his knowledge...but maybe ask your vet if they know anyone who's looking, or if you can put up a flyer in the vet office. That way you'll know the people who want kittens take their pets to the vet, aka will care for them, and that may be a good place to start.

...I'd also mention that with 5 kittens all indoor/outdoor your chances of one 'going missing' go drastically up. How would hubby handle that? Wouldn't' it be better for some of the kittens to be adopted out - as a pair - to an indoor only home?

Krissy is right, they don't have the same sort of familial bond humans do. When all those kittens start to hit maturity there's no guarantee that they'll all get along. The more cats you have the higher chance you get personality conflicts.

Last edited by marie73; 11-26-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Premier Cat

Mapper,
You definitely need a sit down talk with hubby...
It is one thing to willingly take on added responsibility...it is another, to have it forced on you...that is going to cause resentment and arguments, which no one needs...
I am already sensing resentment, and I don't blame you...hubby just hasn't gotten it yet...

Five kittens, will be work, and will take a big chunk of time, especially if you want them to be social...

Can cats bond? Yes!
Even with other animals!
Do they have a Family Concept?
NO! not at all like us!
It's not like splitting up a human family at all!

Also if hubby likes to be able to take off at the drop of a hat, for a vacation...
That's not going to be such a simple thing anymore!
You will need to find a pet sitter, and plan for that expense as well!
Best bet, call around and find out what any pet sitters are charging in your area...than add that cost to your vacation fund.
I'm talking about a licensed & bonded sitter, so you don't have to worry about being ripped off, while you're gone!

In your particular circumstances, it would be better for all, kittens and humans, to have a smaller number to worry about...

Cats are emotional sponges, and will pick up any stress from you guys...
Stress can cause physical issues with cats...
Which can lead to more vet visits...which leads to more stress all around...which leads to...etc, etc, etc.

Other's have given some good ideas, on how to find a no kill shelter or adopters...
Good Luck and I hope your hubby "will get" it, and understand why you just can't keep all of them...
Sharon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

It's like he's become so judgmental of people who have inquired about them. There is one kitten, a gray tiger-striped one who is the smallest one, that 3 people have asked about. That one could have found a home long ago, but according to H it's "Just too darn cute to give up". Another one he was ready to let go with another when a couple came and spent time with them however after they left he realized he didn't want to let that one go either and he didn't think they were very knowledgeable about cats seeing as how he hadn't had one for years and his wife never had pets. He also got the vibe that they wouldn't let the cats go outside and he insists that the cats be able to go outside. Turns out they weren't interested in either of the 2 but wanted the tiger-striped one as well! Another friend has inquired about having one but he doesn't think she's responsible enough. And forget about the no-kill shelter. At this point he thinks it's cruel to send any to a shelter when they have a cozy home now! We were sitting in the living room last night and he says to me "See here we are and not a cat in sight". Well la di dah! By all means then lets bring on some more!

Forget about talking to him about the cost of everything because he has already minimized it saying that cat food is only .50 a can and we can buy them in bulk and dry food will last forever and the vet's exam is cheap at only $20 and we'll keep them clean and the house clean and they won't need to go to the vet that much and yadda yadda yadda.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Cat Addict

The fact is that the more cats you add, and the fact that they go outside, means they are at higher risk of injuries and illnesses. They will simply be coming into contact with more things, so the risk goes up.

It's easy to minimize the cost as 'a little here and a little there' (trust me...there's a reason we ended up with 4 cats, lol), BUT it's a LOT harder to justify when you start adding it all up. Look for the sales, and the bulk prices, show him that even doing it 'cheaply' won't be that cheap.

Keep in mind a growing kitten at 4-6 months needs nearly double the food an adult cat does!

And, if all that doesn't work - send him here to us! Have him read all the threads where someone is overwhelmed with their single kitten, or two kittens. It isn't just about cleaning, food and vet bills. It's about the amount of trouble 5 naughty babies can get into.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

Mapper,
OMG! He REALLY isn't getting it!
(No wonder you're so stressed!)

I totally agree with Librarychick's post above...

Also as kittens, they would adapt beautifully to indoor only! And being someone's PAMPERED cat!

Mine are indoor only! And they're a very happy bunch!
And that includes some who as adults, had been indoor/outdoor, previously.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Cat Addict

I would be just like your husband finding something wrong with any one who wanted to adopt but I know that is foolish especially if I need to rehome my cats. Basically I think you know that this is not a smart move. I think it will eventually bring stress to your household. I have also had indoor/outdoor cats and they bring in dirt, do get injured now and then, and I have to make sure I keep up vaccinations, flea medicine and that really adds up. They are at perfect age to adopt out. And you know I have a mother and son that both would like to be single cat households. They compete for my lap. How many laps does your husband have I think it is time for a serious talk without the kittens around to see how cute they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page