No kill shelters by state - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Please help me, because I am confused. I volunteer at a shelter, and it is not a no-kill, for several reasons.

1) Animals with chronic illness, disabilities, and other life-long problems. We give them as much of a chance as possible, fostering them, trying to promote the adoption of special needs pets, etc. But they are often euthanized because the chances of them being adopted are slim to none.

2) Animals that show any sign of aggression towards people. We understand that dogs may not like cats or other dogs, that's noted and they cannot be adopted to homes with cats or dogs, whatever the case. But dogs that are food aggressive or aggresive towards people are never adopted out. It is too much of a liability, and there are many other dogs that show no aggression at all that are better adoption candidates.

3) Long term residents. The shelter does not have a deadline nor is it in the habit of euthanizing animals after a certain period of time. Many dogs and cats stay for months before being adopted. But being in a shelter for an extended period of time does something to an animal's psyche, and some really start to suffer after a long time in the shelter, even exhibiting unbalanced behavior, like obessive-compulsive symptoms. We try to get them into foster care, but if that is not possibe, they are humanely put to death.

Is there something wrong with the way the shelter handles this? We do not treat the euthanizations lightly, the staffers are often wrecked after they have to do one, but what else can we do?

Another thing: no-kill shelters do have a fatal flaw. They only have so much room. What happens after they fill up? Many close their doors. Animals that might otherwise have been surrendered to the shelter, and cared for, are turned away. In this situation, an owner may do something rash. Like abandon the animal. I am not making this up, I've seen it happen.

I don't intend to be argumentative or defensive, but I hate to see shelters that are not no-kill painted in a bad light. With thousands of animals abandoned every year, it seems to make more sense to focus on, and spend time, money and energy on spay/neuter education, behavioral counseling and management, and training workshops, all things that help to prevent the dumping of unwanted animals, rather than being strongly no-kill. We will even ship dogs up from Tenesee and Ohio, areas that have a much higher overpopulation rate than New England, but we understand that there are not enough homes for all of them. It's horrible, but it's a fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Jr. Cat

Wow, I have never thought of it that way before.

1) Usually people go to a pet store instead of an animal shelter to buy their pet, not adopt. The animals with illness, disabilities, and other life-long problem, I would think, should be adopted first because if someone adopts them, then that could very well save their life.

2)The dogs that are agressive cannot help it, but people don't seem to understand that, so yes, they are never adopted.

3) I was thinking about how the animal shelters would get to full after a period of time and might have to put down an animal even if they are a no-kill shelter. Yes, think about if you were in a shelter, in a pen, with other of your kind for such a long time, it does things to you, same with cats and dogs. That could start a problem, which could lead to being put down, or no one wants to adopt the animal because of the problem(s).

I don't know if there is something wrong with the way the shelter handles this, it may be just people because they don't go adopt a pet from a shelter, even if it is aggressive with food or people, or has a disability.

Are you ready for Halloween? Coopie (my cat) sure is!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Premier Cat

I couldnt get the site to open with the names of no kill shelters. Is it just my computer tonight or is there a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
There is a problem with that site, unfortunately. We have posted an alternate site, in hopes that it will be helpful. The original site was unique. I hope it returns soon.

If you notice a problem with a sticky, please notify catman or a mod. Thanks!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Cat

Hmmm

This is supposed to be a link to no-kill shelters, but our local humane society is on there and they do euthanizations. Maybe the one for MN is all shelters regardless of kill or no-kill..I'm gonna try something and type in 'no-kill shelters in MN'..see what I get.........
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Cat

Just playing

Well, just playing around on the internet you can find links to no-kill shelters in your state. It's awesome that there are no-kill shelters out there, but it is true. What happens to those animals when that no-kill shelter is full?

I don't like the idea of euthanizing either. I was going to volunteer at the local humane society and the lady that was giving the orientation was crying as she told us about the euthanizing that they do. You could tell it just broke her heart. But, if you stop adopting animals from a shelter just cause they aren't a no-kill shelter it's that many more that get put down.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Jr. Cat

Well yes it is technically impossible to have a shelter thant never has to put down an animal, or always takes in the animals...

But what is good about non-kill shelters is that they don't put down the animals as soon as regular shelters will.

Are you ready for Halloween? Coopie (my cat) sure is!

post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to Cat~therus Send a message via MSN to Cat~therus Send a message via Yahoo to Cat~therus
Here's another great list. http://www.felinerescue.net/speuter/resources.htm

Best Regards,

Tiffani
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Cat

Thank-you!!..if a bit belatedly..I have to find out if our closest shelter is no-kill; I thought it was a kill shelter (not on the list) but I saw recently some kitties that have been in the shelter over a year..they aren't cute (I think they are but objectively speaking they are just plain short hair black cats) All I can think of is b/c they have friendly personalities, they are hoping somebody will adopt them? My last year adoptée had been in the shelter 5 mos when I got her, I guess she wasn't adopted before because is an older (was 4 yrs when I got her) cat in relation to many kittens they had. All were adopted except for the two that now are 1 yr old.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 AM
Cat Addict

This is the shelter I adopted Mateo from. I was thinking of volunteering there. I called and checked. They are NOT a no kill shelter http://www.browardhumane.com/

Here are a couple of no kill shelters that aren't listed. They are in southeast Florida

http://catsexclusive.org/

http://www.abandoned-pet-rescue.com/ABRHOMEPAGE.htm

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page