Cat Forum banner

Cats won't eat tapeworm medicine.. What can I do?

57K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  gunterkat 
#1 ·
At least one of our 3 cats has tape worms, so I bought some tapeworm medicine. I know that it's almost impossible to feed them the tablets by itself as they won't eat it, so I crushed one of the tablets and mixed it into the favorite food of our kitties and separated Nancy (our Blue Russian) into a room (as I need to know which cat already ate the medicine and which ones didn't because I don't want to risk feeding each cat more than the required dose)
So, I put Nancy with food, water and litter box in one of our bedrooms at 4 PM and she still has not eaten anything of the food even though it's her favorite food.. It seems like the medicine adds some smell that she doesn't like.. I'm really glueless on how to get our cats to eat the medicine.. Is there a liquid version of tape worm medicine that I can just spray into their mouth?? What other methods can we use to get her to eat the medicine if even their favorite food (Sheba) won't make them eat their medicine?? Any help is appreciated.

#3 ·
Hide the pill in a bit of cheese. I had the same problem with pegs when she got a bit of eczema. She wouldn't touch anything if this pill had been sprinkled on. But the Cheese thing really worked.

Oh if she doesn't like cheese, put it in another soft treat she loves.

#6 ·
Huge said:
Hide the pill in a bit of cheese. I had the same problem with pegs when she got a bit of eczema. She wouldn't touch anything if this pill had been sprinkled on. But the Cheese thing really worked.

Oh if she doesn't like cheese, put it in another soft treat she loves.
Well, her favorite treat is Sheba, so I sprinkled the pill into sheba.. She wouldn't eat a single bite.. She just smelled it and didn't eat it. She doesn't eat cheese...Tried also to mix it into her favorite dry food and she spit out the tablet once she got to it..

#9 ·
My vet showed me how he pills cats.
With their body parallel to the floor, place your right hand on top of the cat's head. Your index finger and thumb should be closest to the cat's nose, while the heeel of the hand rests toward the back of the cat's head. Place your index finger and thumb on opposite sides of the cat's mouth, gently grabbing the upper jaw while the heel of your hand remains steady,
As you gently pull back on your , the nose of the cat should start pointing to the ceiling and the mouth opens.
Pop the pill in, to the back of the mouth, and let the nose down just enoughfor the mouth to close. Hold the nose there, gently rubbing the neck with the left hand, if necessary, to stimulate swallowing. The tongue comes out when the pill is gone.
It just took me longer to type this than it does to pill the cat. If you don't have someone to hold the cat's body for you, wrap them in a towel.

#13 ·
Mom of 4 said:
My vet showed me how he pills cats.
With their body parallel to the floor, place your right hand on top of the cat's head. Your index finger and thumb should be closest to the cat's nose, while the heeel of the hand rests toward the back of the cat's head. Place your index finger and thumb on opposite sides of the cat's mouth, gently grabbing the upper jaw while the heel of your hand remains steady,
As you gently pull back on your , the nose of the cat should start pointing to the ceiling and the mouth opens.
Pop the pill in, to the back of the mouth, and let the nose down just enoughfor the mouth to close. Hold the nose there, gently rubbing the neck with the left hand, if necessary, to stimulate swallowing. The tongue comes out when the pill is gone.
It just took me longer to type this than it does to pill the cat. If you don't have someone to hold the cat's body for you, wrap them in a towel.

That's the method that has worked best for me, too (in most cases). I have had a few cats, however, that have been absolutely impossible to pill. For them, I would mash the pill very finely (not leaving any "spittable" pieces), mix the mashed powder in margarine or petroleum jelly, and spread it on the front legs (not leaving any blobs...... also "spittable"). It's a rare cat who won't clean his legs, even if the taste is unsavory.

[/u]

#15 ·
PetSmart carries a package of stuff called pill pockets. It's like $7 I think. They are treats but they have a little opening so you can stick the pill in it and hide the treat that way. Usually they eat the pill pocket without hesitance. But if the pill is too big, you might have to cut it in half and administer with two pill pockets.

Another method is doing what you said you would feel bad doing...forcing them to swallow it. Believe me, they may not like being forced to swallow it but it's a heck of a lot better than having tape worms.

My cat eventually caught on to the pill pocket trick so I had to resort to giving him the pill myself and making him swallow. It's a lot easier than I though it would be. Catch them when they are asleep. Have your pill in one hand and press the side of their mouth with the other...it makes them open up and you throw the pill in their mouth and massage their throat and it goes down with no problem. If you feel bad doing it, give them some treats as a follow up...that will also help push the pill down if it's stuck anywhere.

#16 ·
Heather102180 said:
PetSmart carries a package of stuff called pill pockets. It's like $7 I think. They are treats but they have a little opening so you can stick the pill in it and hide the treat that way. Usually they eat the pill pocket without hesitance. But if the pill is too big, you might have to cut it in half and administer with two pill pockets.

Another method is doing what you said you would feel bad doing...forcing them to swallow it. Believe me, they may not like being forced to swallow it but it's a heck of a lot better than having tape worms.

My cat eventually caught on to the pill pocket trick so I had to resort to giving him the pill myself and making him swallow. It's a lot easier than I though it would be. Catch them when they are asleep. Have your pill in one hand and press the side of their mouth with the other...it makes them open up and you throw the pill in their mouth and massage their throat and it goes down with no problem. If you feel bad doing it, give them some treats as a follow up...that will also help push the pill down if it's stuck anywhere.
We are actually leaving towards PetSmart right now as my wife volunteers at the cat adoption program (cleaning the cages and doing adoptions).. We will ask for the pill pockets!! Thanks!!

#17 ·
TwoCuteCats said:
.....so I crushed one of the tablets ....
I've used Tape Worm Tabs and as I recall, they have a kind of a glazed surface. I know it makes it easier to crush tablets and mix them in food, but it may nullify the effectiveness. These kinds of tablets are made to be swallowed and dissolved in the stomach. If they're crushed into powder it exposes the active drug to digestive juices faster than is supposed to happen and may reduce the bioavailability of the drug.

Also, I think, based on the way praziquantel works, it's best given on an empty stomach. The tapeworms will be exposed to the active drug faster and in the most concentrated dose. I can't remember if it says that in the instructions; it just seems logical, knowing how it works.

#18 ·
coaster said:
TwoCuteCats said:
.....so I crushed one of the tablets ....
I've used Tape Worm Tabs and as I recall, they have a kind of a glazed surface. I know it makes it easier to crush tablets and mix them in food, but it may nullify the effectiveness. These kinds of tablets are made to be swallowed and dissolved in the stomach. If they're crushed into powder it exposes the active drug to digestive juices faster than is supposed to happen and may reduce the bioavailability of the drug.

Also, I think, based on the way praziquantel works, it's best given on an empty stomach. The tapeworms will be exposed to the active drug faster and in the most concentrated dose. I can't remember if it says that in the instructions; it just seems logical, knowing how it works.
We bought the pill pockets and will see if they'll work..

#21 ·
There are liquid meds for worms. Its called Nemex. We give it to all the kittens anc cats coming into foster homes.

My vet was always be able to give my tuxy a pill, liquid meds or shots with no struggle from him. I complained that that was not what happened when we get home and have to continue the meds.

He laughed and said he would let me in one a little secret. Usually a cat is so scared when at the vet they are willing to take meds without a struggle. :evil:

Thats just not fair.

#22 ·
Mitts & Tess said:
....He laughed and said he would let me in one a little secret. Usually a cat is so scared when at the vet they are willing to take meds without a struggle. .....
Oh, no, the evil enforcers of veterinary medicine's most secret and ancient brotherhood and sisterhood will come by your house at 2:39 am, dressed in black surgical scrubs, caps and gowns, and will abduct you and take you away to their damp and dark dungeon secreted in the remotest recesses of the forest in order to await your punishment for revealing trade secrets. :lol:

#24 ·
I just talked to the director of our TNR group. She said Nemex wouldnt do tapeworm. That we opt for getting the shot for the cats of I think its called Droncit. She said the pills are to diffacult to get down so we opt for the shot at the vet.

They might let you do a walk in to just get the shot. Our vets let us do that on a lot of things. Maybe its the volume of cats we bring thru. Im not sure.

Good luck on this. Nothing is more frustrating than a cat that wont take its pill when it is what is going to help it!

#25 ·
There is a new deworming product on the market now for cats called Profender that is a topical treatment, works much the same as advantage, except instead of treating fleas, it treats worms. Gets tapes, hooks and rounds. Ask your vet about it. Best part, one treatment is all you need, no second shot or pill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.