Pregnant Feral...need help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Pregnant Feral...need help!

Alright, I wasn't sure if this should go under the feral section or the breeding section but figured if it was in the wrong place someone would move it Anyhow, here's the story...my boyfriend works at a small place on the edge of town. The total number of employees is under 20. Anyhow, people frequently drop cats off there and the employees would feed them. Well, the boss decided recently that it was time for the cats to go (they've been there for over 2 years I think) and they started trapping them and taking them to the shelter. WELL, the last one was trapped last night. My boyfriend called me from work because he didn't know what to do. The last one is a heavily pregnant female, that all the employees know (and several have kittens from previous litters) Anyhow, she's pretty aggressive and would be killed at our local shelters as "unadoptable" He didn't want to take her to the shelter (a death sentence) so he asked what I thought...I told him to bring her home. Currently we have her set up in an ex-large dog crage with a food dish, cat toy, litter box, nest box. She can be petted, but that's where the long and short of her socialization. She doesn't react well to sudden movement.

SO, now to the pregnant part. She's huge, and could be due anyday for all I know. This is at least her fourth litter. She's happy to be indoors but truthfully, I don't have much experience with cats. So I really need help. I know absolutely next to nothing (aside from feeding) about how to care for a pregnant cat. Let alone a feral cat. So, I'm hoping someone can "mentor" me a bit. I need to know things like when to expect the litter, how long gestation is, when is it appropriate to handle kittens (I'm hoping to make them adoptable), is she likely to kill her kittens, is there anything that my family or my pet chihuahua can catch from her, what kind of "extra" feed should she have being pregnant, is there anything special the kittens will need to eat, how to potty train the kittens, etc...etc...etc...I really need help. Right now it's still winter in PA, and frequently drops below freezing. I don't know of any shelters in the area that wouldn't kill her (and I know the local ones well). I would also like to have her spayed and tested...but would like maybe a list of places to take feral cats for these things? Anything you guys could help with would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'm going to read up. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Vyxxin, I have some links for you. In this first link you'll find many others that will be helpful.

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth ... irth_3.htm

Here's a link to help you with the kittens:

http://maxshouse.com/kitten_care.htm

It's important that mother cat gets spayed as soon as the kittens can be weaned. There are organizations that will help you financially when it's time to spay the mother cat.

Here is a link, which lists organizations, state by state.

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html

If she cannot be tamed, it would be better to neuter her and release her. You could continue to feed and care for her. However, if she doesn't mind being indoors, perhaps you'll want to keep her. That would be ideal, of course, and if you decide to do that, there is advice for you in the feral thread.

I think it's best to move this to the Feral Cats Forum. I have been a breeder, and the people who post there have a lot of experience with feral cats and kittens. We'll be happy to give you our best advice.

The very first thing I would do is have this pregnant mommy tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV. These diseases are contagious, and if you have other cats, you will have to isolate this kitty. In addition, she should not be released, as she could infect other outdoor cats. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Jeanie, thanks for the move and the information. I thought about putting this one in feral cats but really needed help with kittens so wasn't entirely sure where to put it Anyhow, thanks for the help. I have a question, about the testing that needs done (which I was semi-aware of) when should that be done. Should it be done now or after the litter? She is very close and in isolation. We do not have other cats, but do have a dog (don't know if either of those can be transmitted to dogs) But as of now, we DO plan to have her fixed after the litter. But I need to know when to get her tested. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Premier Cat

I would get her tested right away. Then take the vet's advice.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Alright, thanks I'm currently looking into a feral cat program for the spay/testing/vaccinations but having no luck finding anything in Cambria County PA? Still working on it, and at the very least I'll ask my vet if he knows of any when I schedual her appointment...again, thanks for the resources and a board to ask these kind of questions on
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Premier Cat

I believe your family and chihuahua are safe, I don't think feline diseases cross species barriers.
Good luck with Mamma and her litter-to-be. I'm pretty sure that if she'll let you pet her, she is well on her way to allowing herself to become a tame kitty-pet. Some of my best housecats were former ferals, and the VERY BEST one was feral for his first eleven years before he became a house pet and enjoyed feral kitty retirement!
Handle her and her litter as much as she will allow. I kept a kittening mamma in my master bath with her litter. She tamed down very quickly, so I believe she was dumped and not truly feral, just untrusting in the begining. I still have her, she is next to me right now as I type... Anyway, I used a large cat carrier with towels for her to kitten in. She grew accustomed to me coming/going and showering and using the hair dryer in the bathroom. The babies grew used to it, too. When the babies were older I allowed them into the Master BR.
Babies eventually went through an adoption program and we tried an adoption weekend with Shadow, but she did not handle it well at all and when we picked her up, hubby said we wouldn't put her through that again and we kept her.
Good luck, I'm sure everything will go fine...
Heidi

post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Boy can this kitty eat! Anyone know how much a pregnant female should eat? Or should be offered? I'm growing to like her more and more...today I went to feed her and she licked my hand, it scared me because I thought she was going to bite me But then I thought it was really cute. She doesn't like being confined and always tries getting out now, and meows when she can't (if people are in the room). She's working on being kept here even though that wasn't my original intention. But we're still working on a vet appointment. I'm still really nervous about taking her to a vet, but we'll see how it goes. Thanks a lot everyone for helping me out with this, I didn't really know where to turn or what to do. I appreciate it and I'm sure Din does too (that's what the employees named her)
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Premier Cat

I would feed her a good variety of canned food, if possible, three times a day. Now is not the time for a diet...unless the vet recommends it. It sounds as if she's a real doll baby!

I would check her genitals for a discharge. There will be a discharge of the mucous plug during the last day or so, and a slight discharge for several days. I would also rest my hand gently on her abdomen to make sure the kittens are moving. (That would be only if she went beyond 65 days.)

Jeanie

post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't been on in a while...got a bit busy.

Din littered between last night and this morning...I sat up through the first 5...fell asleep and when I woke about 5hrs later she was having the last one. She's exhausted, but acting very well. She's eating, and taking good care of the kittens. She's still bleeding a bit, but I'm told that's fairly normal? I mean, it's a tiny bit...and not continuous? Also, she ate last night...even during delivery...but now is not eating much at all. I was feeding her a good variety of canned AND some dry since she's been here...any time the bowl was empty. Is this normal?

Here is a picture of her and her kittens:

Here is just the kittens, I have no idea what the proper names are for their colors but boy are they cute.

post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, they are lovely! Would love to see pics as they grow...
# boys, # girls?
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page