Purchasing Cat Trap - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Purchasing Cat Trap

Hello-Newbie here!

Has anyone purchased a cat trap online? Do you have any suggestions?
I know I can rent one,but I would like to have one just in case I need it again. I would like to trap a feral that I have been taking care of off and on since August. She disappeared for 2 months ( Nov. & Dec. )and came back in January and has been staying in the house I made for her since then. I am so glad she came back and she seems to love her little house.
I would like to trap her and take her to get spayed and whatever else she needs before she decides to take off again or gets pregnant. She hardly left her house since she came back, probably because I purchased a warming bed and its nice and cozy in there.It's getting warmer now and she is coming out more and I don't want her to take off again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 AM

I've never purchased one, so I can't offer any advise that way... sorry. Just make sure it's a good size... not too small, but not huge. Use stinky sardines or salmon....you'd have to stop feeding her for a few days, make sure she's really hungry. Another thing we do when trapping ferals, is to put a blanket over most of the trap (not drapped, tucked in at the bottoms and not over the front part obviously) that is similar to the ground colouring at the time of trapping. And never just leave the trap overnight or in a sunny location...you should always be monitoring the trap. Best of luck and bless you for caring about this baby!!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Cool Cat

I haven't purchased one online, so I can't help you there. Havahart is a very reliable brand; I do know that.

Ditto to what Janice said about checking the trap frequently. A feral cat in a trap can become extremely frightened and agitated and can hurt itself trying to claw its way out.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Cool Cat

I got a Havahart trap for $45 at Lowe's. It was in the pest control department and designed for feral cats or raccoons. Maybe they sell them on the Lowe's web site too.

I haven't used or even opened it yet, though.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Green
I got a Havahart trap for $45 at Lowe's.
This is the one that I purchased. I've used mine several times to trap a litte of kittens and to trap their feral mamma in December of 2004. Kittens were tamed and went through the adoption program w/ PetsMart and mamma is now my Pretty Green Eyes kitty. It took 14 months between trapping and her letting me touch her...but tame her, I did! She will not let me pick her up and put her in my lap for petting.
Yesterday she layed at the back door and let me step over her, another time she rolled on her back for me to rub her belly and that evening she sniffed my nose when she was on my lap.
h

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks eveyone! I am going to go to Menards today and see if they have any.I don't have a Lowes near me and you can only order online and pick up in the store. I would prefer to purchase from a store instead of buying online from someone I have never dealt with before,but if I have to I will.
I have been reading up on the best way to trap a feral.I hope I can get her.
A few years ago I trapped a semi feral/stray that I had been feeding. That was easier because I put out a carrier for him and he would eat in there and then lay down in it and then I just closed the door. He went crazy all the way to the vet! I felt so bad because he had been gone for a few days and came back with a horrible head wound. I had to take him to the vet and they had to put him to sleep.They told me he had FIV and some blood disorder and the wound he had was pretty severe and would
take up to 6 mos. to heal even with constant draining. I thought it was best to let him go. I have 3 cats and could not bring him home. The vet called a few places to see if he could find anyone to take him,but no luck.
I still think about him,he was such a big beautiful boy. Sorry to go on and on, but I just love cats! I will let you know what happens with the little cutie
I have now. She didn't come home last night and didn't come back today until after dark. Wish me luck!

Thanks

Thanks!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
God bless you for caring about and for this poor baby!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I purchased a cat trap online. I went to 3 stores and one didn't have any
and one only had small ones and the last did have 2,but they were only the one door and the boxes were torn down the sides. I should have went with my first thought and purchased it online to begin with. I should receive
it tomorrow. I got the 2 door and it comes with a burlap covering. My little friend has not been around much. She usually comes strolling in at night between 9&10 just to eat. She hasn't been staying in her house at all. Before she started roaming,when I would come out to feed her she would see me and run in her house until I walked away. Now she runs and hides behind a bush until I leave. I thought maybe another cat sprayed in her house,but I checked the bed and didn't see or smell anything. Just in case I cleaned everything anyway and she still won't go in it,but she does sit by it. I plan on putting the trap out unset for 1 or 2 feedings.I would take it in after she is done eating each time. I'm hoping she will go in it. I have some pink salmon. Do you think that would work? Also,when everthing is done and I release her, I'm afraid she won't come back. Is that likely?
Thanks for your help! Will keep you posted.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
snpets, I'm afraid I can't predict what she'll do. As far as the fish is concerned, the smellier the better. Sardines would be good. I wish you the very best. I hope this little girl stays "home" and gets the kind of care I know you'll give her.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Cool Cat

Good luck, snpets! I hope you can catch her. With luck, she'll realize what a good thing she's got going and stay put afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page