New feral, need some help new to this - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

New feral, need some help new to this

Ok so there arent many ferals up here and our one neighbor on the next street takes care of them, but we have one now our willie is friends with him too lol which is shocking because willie is the king in this house and of course the alpha and boss's everyoe else around! But everyone was seeing this white and black kittie, such a cutie i finally got to see him and we named him patches, we have a feeling his living in the neighbors shed (well on the next street but in their backyard which is across our street, now he is very wary of people, so i have to gain his truust we did put food and fresh water out for him as well! But my mom said she seen him the other day as she was leaving for work and he walked down the street and stopped in front of our house and sprayed our house I am sorry i have ferals that were rescues but never dealt with one directly from the wild u know what i mean! Like i said we dont get very many ferals up here! But this cat doesnt like our other neighbors cats either he just likes willie which stumps me! What is the size allowed for pics, i would love to post a pic for u all but I dont want it to be too big! Also any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
When posting pictures, we don't have a size limit, but there are those with dial-up who have to wait quite awhile. Also, it's nice if we don't have to scroll sideways. We do want to see pictures though! Please post them!

The feral was marking your house as his territory, so be prepared to hand over the mortgage! It's his house now. Although some cats still spray after being neutered, it's quite possible he's not neutered, and could be fathering many kittens a week. If the weather EVER gets better here in PA, I would try to gain his trust. In the meantime, check the stickies at the top of this forum for trapping and handling ferals in general. It takes a lot of patience, but you can gain Patches' trust. You have to take things slowly, at Patches' pace. Treats and soft talk are both helpful. If you want to try to tame Patches, we'll be happy to help you. Many ferals can become lovely pets.

The last two stickies should be most helpful to you! We'll look forward to the pictures.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

thanks for ur reply I did talk to him gently, and i even told my mom its gonna take alot of time and everything and we need to gain his trust! We only have 2 ferals up here which is shocking and they are both also males! But up about a mile there are these neighbors that refuse to get their cats fixed they believe its natural for them to have babies, i tried talking to them about it but it never worked! Some people just dont understand the importance of spay and nueter u know! But i havent heard of them having kittens recently so thats good, and patches just came up to our house....he did see how i handled willie and everything! And that night he just kept following willie all over the place (by the way willie and midnight are both inside.outside cats, we tried to make them inside kitties but it wouldnt work so we just set ground rules for them both to be in by nightfall and willie goes out for only a lil bit enough to patrol his "hill" and then back in he comes, but i do believe they made friends, when they met their was no growling or hissing or anything at each other and patches was going back to the shed i presume until willie walked away and buy or drive way and soon patches followed lol! It was too cute! I figured he was marking this his house! Im wondering though if the other lady who takes care of the 2 ferals down the street if this is him and hes moved up because of the other male??!?? Im just trying to figure out why patches had spats with all the other kitties except for willie

And also I do no how ferals can become such lovebugs, my blue was feral and some lady does private rescueing and TNR and they ones she can work on to become friendly she puts up for adoption, the others are TNR! And well blue was one and she just looooves to cuddle although she only cuddles in my room and on me :rolleyes: lol!

Im gonna check out those stickies and hoping pa weather has a change and turns into spring soon and I will post pics soon, photobucket isnt working for me right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Premier Cat

You can load your pictures here on Cat Photos...at the top of each page...if you want.

Good luck with Patches. Keep us posted, please?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

i hope i can post this here, but here is the intro with patches and willie

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat

Ahhh, that's nice...two little friends! And so unusual.

Jeanie

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

ya that is very unusal expecially for our willie lol! He is a grump but he just lvoes the dogs and people, but like i said hes alpha on this hill and in the house! He does play with the females in the house he hates midnight tho lol! But i was so surprised but happy at the same time that they were getting along! Patches like i said did growl at the neighbors kittie and not willie he just followed him around! I cant wait for the weather to get warmer so I can go out and try to get him to trust me and he did watch me and willies interactions which i guess is good right?!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Premier Cat

I think that's good, along with treats, soft talk, patience, and interactive toys. Everything helps!

Jeanie

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

OK well now there was a cat fight, I havent seen patches for a few days but I seen him tonite because he was in front of our house fighting another kitite, idk who probly midnight and he didnt go back on the hill right away! Could he have been defending his section and everything and this house! Luckily Willie was inside who also doesnt get along with midnight, hmm at least i know were these cat fights are starting, my mom broke it up luckily! And paches walked slowly to his hill, I hope hes ok its pretty dark in our alley and i was lucky to make him out! Now I am worried, imma have to go out there tomarrow morning and take a look and make sure everything is ok, and i am gonna take some food and water out tonite as well!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, this is bad news, because cats get infections quite easily from bites and deep scratches. That problem shortens the lives of intact, outdoor toms greatly, often to only 2 years.

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page