Invasion of the black tomcats **Update - good news!** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Invasion of the black tomcats **Update - good news!**

A few nights ago, I found a black shorthair tomcat on my porch. He was very vocal, but also very timid, and wouldn't let me come near. Eventually I managed to catch him in my Havahart trap. I put him in my dog crate (while he hollered up a storm -- he's very vocal), made a neuter appointment, and named him Stephen.

So I was quite startled the next night when I came out on the porch and found the same timid black cat yowling at me. I ran back to check the crate, certain he had escaped -- but no, it was a second, almost identical cat! This one has a small white locket on his chest, and happily, appears to be already fixed. I named him Greg.

Stephen and Greg will be joining other neighborhood tomcats Rocky (black with white locket), Stuart (all black), Robert (black with white locket), Tom (all-black longhair). Recent neighbors have also included Toshiro (all black), Buddy (all black), and Cosmo (all-black longhair).

Everytime we think we've reached our statistical maximum of black tomcats, more show up. So far all of them except Tom have been fixed, but my husband thinks they're reproducing by asexual division.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Premier Cat

My goodness, do they have abreeding pair stashed somewhere?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Aww...to think of all those beautiful black cats without an indoor home. You're so kind to help them, Jet!
Maybe Stephen has some Siamese ancestors. My last black cat (of many!) was mostly Siamese, other than color, and she talked up a storm. What a personality she had! She was a little lost kitten, as most of my cats have been, and almost all have been black.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Hmm, Greg is certainly talky, so maybe he has some Siamese in him. Stephen just cries a lot (although he's been a little happier since I moved him into a bigger dog crate). About half of the black cats are owned by neighbors (and thankfully fixed), so they may have been imported in from other places. The other half are battle-hardened ferals and may all be related.

My next-door neighbor said that years ago, there was a couple that kept a unfixed girl cat, who had litter after litter. They kept hauling the kittens off to the shelter, year after year. One time they decided to keep one of the kittens -- female -- which they never fixed -- so then there were even more litters! They moved out before I moved in, which is good, because I would have strangled them.

A striking percentage of the cats around here, and in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding, are black and white in some combination. I would love to have them all DNA tested and see how they're related. Not for any activist reason, just because I'm curious. I always wonder if my own black and white cats, who were born wild on the other side of the city, are their distant cousins.

However, I aim to keep that family tree from sprouting any new branches, at least in my yard.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Cat

we also have a predominantly black and white collection of strays ...also not contributing to the local population anymore

2 boxers Miki & Monty
Boy Cats: Tucker,Freeway,Tyson,Copicat,Mike
Girl Cats : Magic, Garfield, Buggie,Lexie,Spike,Ginger,Blue,Spooky,Rotten, Trouble
Strays: Charlie
2 Conures,2 African Greys,1 Black winged Jardine
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolsclan
we also have a predominantly black and white collection of strays ...also not contributing to the local population anymore
Heh! Glad to hear it.

He's hard to see, but here's a photo of Stephen. He likes the big crate because he can hide far enough back in it to avoid me petting him. Also, he refused to look at the camera until I made raspberry noises at him.

His eyes are actually much prettier than that, like a pale shade of lemon-lime.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Premier Cat

Stephen is so very handsome!

How do you get such true colors? I have blue eyed cats and their eyes are very light, with no pupil or iris. Other than no flash, is there anything I can do? None of the programs for red eye work. This is my bridge kitty, Precious. (very precious to me) It's small, but you can see what I mean.

Jeanie

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Precious looks very pretty! I can't see her eyes that well on my small monitor, but they look green. Do they come out glowing? My cats' eyes sometimes come out that way, like a green version of red-eye.

I never think that the colors are very accurate. My girl Hinata has yellow eyes, but here they look Halloween orange! Plus with black cats, you can barely tell that they have noses.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Cat

I sit here laughing. My sister adopted a black cat. I told her look at her nose it is so black look at her lips they are so black. She laughs and says ya that is why they are called black cats. All my babies have pink noses and pink mouths. LOL. I love black cats but don't tell my babies.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Premier Cat

I love black cats too! They're like black satin, aren't they?

The pictures of my cats don't show eyes, only a glow. I know this is a bigger problem with blue eyed cats, but it's a real disappointment that all of their pictures come back like that!

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page