I have a SAVE to brag about! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I have a SAVE to brag about!

I thank all on this board who gave me support and sympathy when my own cat was killed in March (See "I suspect a neighbor" below). Since that time I have focused myself on warning other apartment residents about what happened and trying to prevent other deaths from occurring. Since we have a large complex (700 units) myself and a very nice neighbor who also is a SPCA volunteer have teamed up and we came up with a flyer stating what happened to my cat and to urge residents to tag/collar their own cats as specified in the rules and regulations and of course spay/neuter. We also asked that they keep their cats inside as much as possible because of the "possibilty" (actually a sad reality) that a cat killer lives among us.

Last Wednesday night at their regular monthly board meeting our board of directors approved our flyer for distribution and we are now in the process of posting it around the complex.

The save happened about a week ago today. A tiny grey and black kitty approached me about 2 weeks ago, was bedraggled and had a swollen belly and was obviously very hungry. I of course started feeding what I was certain was a small male, and was amazed at the amount of food he ate, about 6-8 cans of 3 oz Fancy Feast a day. This kitty would just demolish the food and lick the bowl.

I decided about 10 days ago to try to get him into the SPCA for adoption. The county animal shelter here is not a good one, its not bad, but its just not great. They dont hold animals very long before euthanizing. I opted to try for the SPCA instead. My neighbor helped me get him into a cat carrier last Monday evening and he put up surpringsly little resistance and she brought him in for examination last Tuesday. Come to find out that he was actually a SHE and was very pregnant! The SPCA did surgery to remove the litter (at no charge) and spayed her at the same time and did a chip implant. Now she is home again and my neighbor will foster her until she is well enough to return to the SPCA for adoption.

She (we have named her Whitley) is doing very well, and for a feral cat has adapted rapidly for her new inside environment, knows to use the litter box and getting along well with my neighbors two older kitties.

Im happy that we (my neighbor and I) made this save and hopefully the people here heed our flyer. Thanks to all for reading this and for your words of kindness and sympathy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Premier Cat

<wild applause> Yeah! What a great story to share, especially after your last sad one... I'm glad Whitley is getting a second chance.
h

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

...a tlittle more info

I guess this is why this small kitty was so hungry, she was eating for 7 or 8! But Im glad we found her in time. Im told that she would have given birth in the wild within a day or few days and the prospects for her being able to care for her litter alone would not have been good, we have large raccoons here as well as humans who are not nice, to cats especially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:37 PM

Way to go!

It does not sound like she was feral since she was put in a carrier but I bet she was a drop off. Sadly alot of people dump their pregnant pets to avoid getting a litter. Pat yourself on the back you deserve it! You saved a little life.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Cat Addict

The kittens weren't saved? They were viable and almost ready to be born? Poor things.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy96444
The kittens weren't saved? They were viable and almost ready to be born? Poor things.

You know, I agree 100% but it was not my call since I wasnt the one who had agreed to "foster care" for the mother cat AFTER the surgery. From what I was told, the litter of kittens would have to go home with the mother and would have to be cared for by the foster caregiver simultaneously. The shelter was not in a position to take a litter of newly born kittens at that time. My friend (the caregiver) has two older cats already and a very busy schedule which would not have allowed her time to properly care for the little kittens so she had to decline and I know she felt very badly. I could not have accepted care either since I only have a studio apartment and am on the road most of the work week.

I think we did as best we could under these circumstances. If you dont feel that way Im very sorry, we could have turned our back completely but we didnt and managed to save one life. Please understand that.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Premier Cat

NiS, I understand fully.

Two years ago I had to force a feral mother to abort her near term litter with a spay. I had trapped her first feral litter who were about 10 weeks old and placed them in my bathroom for taming for the adoption program I fostered for.
She (Pretty Green Eyes) was ready to pop and I had NO ROOM to bring her inside to tame her AND care for a brand new litter while keeping her seperate from her 1st litter. (I had 9 housecats of my own at that time.) She was spayed and returned to my property. I feel much better now about what I decided to do for her, because it took 14 months after having her spayed before she would let me touch her. I do not think I could have tamed her in my bathroom with a new litter. My situation did turn out for the best. I am sorry we had to lose her 2nd litter, but she was saved and has a good home with hubby and I as our barn cat. Her outdoor companion is the feral tom who sired her 1st litter, and possibly the 2nd one, too. Dusty is an indoor/outdoor kitty, now.

Pretty has recently started coming inside the kitchen for a few minutes in the evening...so maybe she will turn around...but I don't think she feels very comfortable enclosed in a house and prefers to be outside.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 PM

Feline abortion is a controversey. Like you said it wasn't your call to make that decision. But the cat herself is safe.

If I was in the predictment with a pregnant cat I would allow her to queen if a stray and spay her if feral. I have spayed 2 female ferals that were pregnant and I believe I made the right call. These 2 were quite wild and keeping them captive to have the litter would be so stressful for the mother and risky with the kittens as the Mom may not even nurse them and orphan kittens very young have a hard time of it. And if I waited to after they queened outside then I would have the problem of finding the kittens before they turn feral.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

[quote="Heidi n Q"]NiS, I understand fully.

Two years ago I had to force a feral mother to abort her near term litter with a spay. I had trapped her first feral litter who were about 10 weeks old and placed them in my bathroom for taming for the adoption program I fostered for.
quote]

Thank you Heidi, for both understanding what I was trying to say and for your very kind words above.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

[quote="Sweetvegan74"]Feline abortion is a controversey. Like you said it wasn't your call to make that decision. But the cat herself is safe.

Thank you for understanding. I hate to think what might have happened if Whitley had given birth in the wild, since we have some residents here who would have soon as killed and dumped them into the trash as opposed to trying to save them. My departed cat is a prime example of the evil living among my neighbors. We saved the one we could, and am sorry for the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page