A couple foster kitten questions... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

A couple foster kitten questions...

It has been years since I fostered baby kittens, but I just took in a mom & kitten from the Merced shelter that were sent from the Justine shelter for euthanasia. The kitten I was told was 9wks old is just about 6wks old, but mom is too wild for me to leave him w/ mom. Baby (Clyde) is hissy but handleable, so I'm wondering if there is any great advantage/disadvantage to keeping him as a singleton vs taking in another, more outgoing kitten of the same age for Clyde to play with & to speed up his taming process?

Also, he was asleep today and I called to him, yelled, clapped, set off an ultrasonic bark thingy (I believe that is the technical term ), and he did not wake up. When he was awake a few minutes later, I set off the ultrasonic thingy and his ear did twitch. Is he deaf, or is it normal for 5-6wk kittens to sleep that soundly?

TIA for any advice/help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

Re: A couple foster kitten questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptanapbt
"thingy" (I believe that is the technical term
Hey, you speak my language! I constantly ask the husband where the sh-sh-thing is so I can air up the tires.

Exactly how wild is mom? If you can place them both in a small bathroom with an enclosed place for them to sleep and have food/water/litterbox available. Go in and sit quietly with them, talk to them or read. I would sometimes lay down on the bathmat and read so I was not 'towering' over them. (though I usually only fostered kitten litters with no mothers...)
Once or twice a day offer canned cat food on a flat plate. Sit with them while they eat it and slowly get closer and eventually able to touch them.
Good luck with your two...
Heidi
ps...I grew up in Tracy, a bit northwest of Merced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page