Not really a "feral" cat question, but semi-relate - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Not really a "feral" cat question, but semi-relate

I am asking the members for some general guidance and comment on this, I realize its not exactly feral related.

In a previous post I described how (I suspect) a neighbor killed a abandoned (not feral) cat myself and a few other neighbors were caring for here at my apartment complex. We found that the person we suspect had been arrested three times previously for animal cruelty. Since that time (March 21, 2007) three other cats have disappeared without a trace, two of them owned cats (who never had collars or tags) and one stray. All lived or hung out in the same area where mine lived, which is nearby where this person parks his car and lives.

Myself and a neighbor have teamed up and distributed flyers about the initial killing and to warn residents to tag/collar their cats and to keep them inside as much as possible and we pointed out the danger. There is still one cat left who likes to live and play in this area, he is a affectionate kitty who is very trusting and friendly, which in this case makes me very afraid for his welfare as you all might imagine. This cat is owned, and I have on three occasions pleaded with the owner to put some kind of collar on her kitty, even one without a tag would be better than nothing, to indicate that he is NOT a stray. However she either wont or cant do this, apparently.

Im not sure what else I can do, and I guess Im just asking if I should keep after this owner to put a collar on her cat, I just love him and am so afraid for his safety. On the other hand I keep thinking he's NOT my responsibility so I shouldnt even be involved in this way. Any thoughts? Id greatly appreciate them.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Premier Cat

I feel your pain, I am torn between having neighboring cats neutered that seem to be impregating strays. (As I am currently caring for a litter of 5 orpaned kittens right now!)

If it would make you feel better for the kitty to have a collar, why not put one on him? No harm in doing that. Do you think it will make a difference?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
If it would make you feel better for the kitty to have a collar, why not put one on him? No harm in doing that. Do you think it will make a difference?

I would feel better indeed, but like I said its not my cat and I dont feel I can do that morally or ethically if the cat isnt mine. But I think it would "protect" him from a predator who just wants to kill every stray or feral he sees. Im pretty sure he wont harm a cat who clearly belongs to someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Premier Cat

I understand he's not your cat, but if you truly think it would save his life, I think it is morally acceptable. I was also going to suggest that you tell the neighbors why you are doing it, or bring it over to them and ask them to put a collar on him while you are offering to GIVE them one. Maybe they are too lazy or don't care enough to go to the store, but if you give them one, they willb e put on the spot and more inclined to do it. Or just say, hey, I am still really worried about your cat, next time he mosey's over to my place, I'm going to put a collar on him. I don't want you to think I'm tryign to steal your cat, just want him to be safe, etc....
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyinseattle
Im pretty sure he wont harm a cat who clearly belongs to someone.
Please don't believe this for a moment. He will only get worse.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

You're really on the horns, aren't you?
On one horn, if you put the collar on yourself, you have infringed on the property of another and may anger them. On the other horn, if you approach them and give them a collar to put on their kitty, they may become offended at the charity, refuse to accept it and still be angry.
Which horn seems less painful to you?
Myself, I'd buy a cheap (cute) collar and bring it to the people, again with a flyer. Explain your fears and leave the collar with them to decide what they'd like to do with it.
After that, it really is out of your hands.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Myself, I'd buy a cheap (cute) collar and bring it to the people, again with a flyer. Explain your fears and leave the collar with them to decide what they'd like to do with it.
I think so too.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyinseattle
Im pretty sure he wont harm a cat who clearly belongs to someone.
Please don't believe this for a moment. He will only get worse.

Its not that I believe it, because youre right. But theres nothing else any of us who are stuck with living next to him can do about it (unless he's stupid enough to kill or maim a cat in front of witnesses), so I choose to be optimistic.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
You're really on the horns, aren't you?
On one horn, if you put the collar on yourself, you have infringed on the property of another and may anger them. On the other horn, if you approach them and give them a collar to put on their kitty, they may become offended at the charity, refuse to accept it and still be angry.
Which horn seems less painful to you?

When I suggested it the first time she seemed noncommittal, but the 2nd time she was curt with a "No, he wont keep it on" and so I left it at that. The 3rd time it was "Didnt you hear what I said the last time"?

Which brings up another point, it very well may be that she has tried to put a collar on and has not been successful, in which case it truly is out of my and anyone elses hands.

I do believe that your suggestion about giving her the collar is a good one though. I may yet do that.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Nancy, what an awkward situation, awkward and dangerous. However, I'd bite the bullet and put a collar and ID tag on the kitty with a little note attached, explaining that you're fond of the cat and wanted to give her a little gift. Also, emphasize what good people they are, in comparison with the monster who's been killing stray cats. Good luck.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page