New feral cat spay program - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

New feral cat spay program

The spca in Bakersfield CA. will spay and nueter feral cats that have been trapped and are disease free. And, have launched a herd program where they release the "fixed" cats into various herd groups where they are semi looked after and cared for. For instance, there is a hugh park where it has been known to be a sort of drop off place for unwanted cats. Rather than having a situation like that get out of control, they started trapping the cats and altering the ones not sick. Then, once the cats are released back into their familar area, there is another org. called the Cat People who recieve alot of leftover food donations. Rather than tossing to the trash, they take the food out to the herd ferals and atempts, are made, to trap any newly spotted cats.
I know there are negatives in feeding the ferals, but in a place that has one of the worst reputations, in the nation, for how they treat the overpopulated and unwanted animal/pet situation....this is a remarkablely hugh plus!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

That's great! Yeah, Bakersfield!

(That's where my Mom is from.)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Premier Cat

That sounds like a wonderful program!!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Cool Cat

That's great! I like the organization name, too. But I hope they're not totally overwhelmed by even more people dumping their cats.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Green
That's great! I like the organization name, too. But I hope they're not totally overwhelmed by even more people dumping their cats.
Yeah, but it's not all that easy for the people who want to dump cats to do such a thing anymore. At least not at that park. There is only one way in and one way out. The park closes at 10:00 pm and it's well patroled these days, due to much more serious occurances. So anybody who isn't just going straight through, is more likely than not to be questioned if they choose to stop inside the park when it's closed.
And, it is just as watched during the open hours, if not more. People love to get drink (alot), get drunk and then think they can swim in the mighty Kern River that runs along side the park.
There needs to be alot of Sheriffs and Rangers around to remind the ones that suddenly can not read what STAY OUT-STAY ALIVE means.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Premier Cat

Sounds like a wonderful program! Step in the right direction.

Anyone who lives near the mexico border has the dumping problem. Its a cultural attitude towards animals. I hope were all helping to change that with these programs. Im so glad they are TNRing & feeding this colony and give them a chance at a life. Kudos to the SPCA.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
What a wonderful idea!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page