Help needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Help needed

Hi I am new to the board but need help. We have ( well not really have) a feral male cat. He is very skittish and really will only come in if hurt or hungry. My boyfriend is the only one who he will allow to touch him on a regular basis unless injured then he lets me doctor him. Well somehow he has adopted a small kitten. It first appeared yesterday I cannot get close but appears to be around 8 weeks old. It sticks very close to the male and the male seems to watch over him. There are 2 very aggressive tom cats in my neighborhood that are always harassing other cats but the male cat will go after them if they come near his baby. The baby is sleeping under the house or with the male. It also appears the male was bringing the baby food as he does not hunt but found a large amount of bird feathers at the opening going under house. I am going to try and trap the baby to get him/her to the vet for all the necessaries but my vet said it is to early to do anything most likely but his shots. Should I try another vet I am hoping to integrate the baby into the family fingers crossed he may be young enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

It's great that you want to adopt this baby! What else were you thinking of having done? He can get his/her first vaccines and be de-wormed, checked for fleas & mites. Is probably too small to be spayed/neutered and can't get rabies vaccine until 4 months. Just get the spay/neuter done by 6 months. You should also have a FIV/FeLV test done, I believe if it's negative at that age then it's good, but a positive could be a false positive, so it would have to be done again at a later age.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
This is a sweet story! I agree with Doodle about the shots, etc. Shelters like to neuter them very young, but you're not a shelter.

As for the adult male, there are organizations who would give you a good price for neutering. I hope you'll have that done. If you take the socialization slowly, I think he'll adjust to you petting him. Everything has to be gradual, with the help of treats and toys. Good luck and thank you for caring for these kitties!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

I have had the adult male neutered but he is still a very rough cat. I will see what all the vet can do for baby and then if she can settle get her spayed or neutered as soon as possible. Thank you. yes it is a very sweet story I told my boyfriend he had to come see what boy cat brought home. He didn't believe me and was flabbergasted when he saw this huge cat who usually wants nothing to do with another cat leading this tiny thing around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page