Outdoor Shelters for Feral Cats - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Winter Shelter Ideas for Ferals/ Updated

Thanks to Miitts and Tess for finding these wonderful ideas!

http://www.pacthumanesociety.org/core/WinterShelter.htm

http://www.urbancatleague.org/Shelters.html

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Kitten

Re: Winter Shelter Ideas for Ferals

My sister and her husband feed and care for feral cats. They have been very dismayed
lately by hoodlums destroying shelters for the cats that have been put out. Some are
thrown into a ditch and others just plain destroyed. Your shelter ideas are good but what
do you do that could prevent vandals from enjoying tearing things up?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

That's so very cruel. Will the police help? You could also contact one of these organizations or the SPCA for help:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Kitten

The police don't care. I'll send the suggestion about the organizations to my sister. Thanks
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Kitten

Another option might be to put the shelters on private property where vandals are less likely to go--maybe inside a fenced yard, etc. If neighbors or business owners are bothered by the stray cat population (or feel sorry for the cats) and you can convince them that TNR is happening and will help reduce the problem, they may be happy to allow a shelter on their property.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Kitten

Has anyone tried a heat lamp? I have been thinking about different heat sources for mine and the snuggle safes seem great, but they are pretty expensive and i'd need a few. My husband keeps telling me to get a space heater but those things make me nervous for a variety of reasons. But what about one of the heat lamps used for reptiles? I am curious if anyone has tried this.

Thanks
Allison
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Tom Cat

We've put up a medium sized dog igloo on top of a thick layer of foam insulation and I lined the igloo floor with two old blankets. We've had some unseasonably cold nights lately, so I thought it was time to get it set up. Sure enough, the first night, everyone was huddled in there. Success!!!!!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Kitten

Re: Outdoor Shelters for Feral Cats

I had an old dresser I had been using in the back yard for gardening tools. I had cut a round hole in the top of this sit-down dresser and had placed a bowl of flowers in it years ago. However, when a feral cat chose us, I cut the dresser up and made an insulated house for him, using the hole that was in the top of the dresser for his entrance. He moved in the day I built it. I did it quickly, considering that it was starting to get cold, so it hasn't been painted yet -- that will have to wait until next year in warmer weather.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Kitten

Ok, so I am trying to make a shelter for my cats. So far, I have constructed a basic box out of plywood. I plan to seal the seams with door/window caulk. I bought a hot water heater blanket, but I'm not sure the best way to use it. Should I wrap the outside of the box with it, or would it be more useful inside? Then, I have some old carpet that I just tore out of my guest room that I was planning to put over the water heater blanket because the fiber glass makes me nervous. I was also thinking about putting styrofoam along the inside of the box's walls.... then filling with straw? Or maybe cutting a hole in the top and putting a heat lamp through, but I'm worried about it being a fire hazard with the wood and the insulation.... It sounds warm to me, but if anyone has any tips or suggestions, that would be great. I keep seeing pictures of what looks like sheets of insulation, but I can't seem to find them anywhere and I don't know what they're called. If anyone knows of any other insulation options that might be better than the hot water heater blanket, please let me know!

thanks!
allison
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Premier Cat

The "sheets of insulation" ... are you meaning sheets as in like 'plywood' type sheets? I've seen pink, styrofoam stuff at the home improvement stores that came in 4x8 sheets. They are about a half inch thick, or so and you could line the inside of the box with that. For warmth, I think if the top is enclosed and the entrance/exit is draft protected from the major winds you should be able to use a pet-approved heated mat? I know there are 'outdoor safe' heated mats for kennels. Bedding could be straw or old towels/blankets.

pink stuff:
pet mats:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page