Outdoor Shelters for Feral Cats - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Kitten

Re: Winter Shelter Ideas for Ferals

I have looked locally for something that would, at least, radiate Moochies own heat back at him and have found nothing. I built a house out of an old dresser, double-walled it, and put plastic sheeting around it. I carpeted it inside and put carpet on the roof, where Moochie eats. I placed his house in my carport. He seems to be real satisfied, but on warmer nights, he just sleeps on the roof.

Now that Moochie is very comfortable with the house, I am planning on moving it farther into the carport, to the corner where it is further protected by the garage and the cement back wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzav
I have looked locally for something that would, at least, radiate Moochies own heat back at him and have found nothing. I built a house out of an old dresser, double-walled it, and put plastic sheeting around it. I carpeted it inside and put carpet on the roof, where Moochie eats. I placed his house in my carport. He seems to be real satisfied, but on warmer nights, he just sleeps on the roof.

Now that Moochie is very comfortable with the house, I am planning on moving it farther into the carport, to the corner where it is further protected by the garage and the cement back wall.
Just saw your post.

PetsMart sells self warming kitty pads in a leopard print plush material. I don't recall how much they cost [less than $20 I believe].

I put one in a teepee type covered cat bed with 2 entrance holes. I covered the teepee with a construction plasic bag [heavy duty plastic]. It sits outside, under my picnic table and on two wooden benches pushed to my garage wall on my covered back porch.

When the temp got down to the teens at night I put a microwavable disk that produces heat up to 12 hrs., under the self warming mat. Smokey and The Bandit [her baby] have been snuggling there. They ae ferals.

My other feral, Hobo, sleeps on a electric plastic warming pad with a sherpa cover in a squarish [new] garbage can, facing the garage wall. It is also in my covered porch. I bought it at a home imrovement store called Mennards for $44 [on sale, $10 off].

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Tom Cat

We've recently built a couple of shelters for our ferals out of some old empty PA bins that were sitting around. They're made from 5/8th plywood and we added feet, a door with butterfly hinges for easy access, two openings, the pink styrofoam on the bottom and covered the entire interior with reflective insulation. I then added an outdoor kennel heating mat, the ones that Heidi and Judy both mentioned, and some straw as our winters are bitter. We have one placed on the front porch and another under the huge cedar bush against the front of our house. We had all the material laying around except for the heating pad from TSC, and reflecting insulation which I picked up from Home Depot for less then $20. I tented nylon tarps over them and presto, shelter. They're not pretty and will be painted come spring but they seem to work.

The doors are rather large on this one as I was hoping Big Guy would use it but he prefers the loveseat on the porch no matter how cold the weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Thanks to Miitts and Tess for finding these wonderful ideas!

http://www.pacthumanesociety.org/core/WinterShelter.htm
Thank you so much for these links I have had some Ferals coming around for a while now and its getting cold didn't know what to do but the Rubbermaid will work good for me.

Chris (CrazyCats)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla
We've recently built a couple of shelters for our ferals out of some old empty PA bins that were sitting around. They're made from 5/8th plywood and we added feet, a door with butterfly hinges for easy access, two openings, the pink styrofoam on the bottom and covered the entire interior with reflective insulation. I then added an outdoor kennel heating mat, the ones that Heidi and Judy both mentioned, and some straw as our winters are bitter. We have one placed on the front porch and another under the huge cedar bush against the front of our house. We had all the material laying around except for the heating pad from TSC, and reflecting insulation which I picked up from Home Depot for less then $20. I tented nylon tarps over them and presto, shelter. They're not pretty and will be painted come spring but they seem to work.

The doors are rather large on this one as I was hoping Big Guy would use it but he prefers the loveseat on the porch no matter how cold the weather.

Ooooh, self reflecting insulation........GOTTA get it to line the Rubbermaid garbage can!!

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Kitten

I've got one of these in my backyard, but an opossum has taken it over and scares the feral cat that comes around away. Any suggestions? Maybe make 2? I'm just afraid that would give me 2 opossums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---- Helped me alot!
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Possums are nocturnal animals, so you could make sure the area around your shelters is well lighted. According to the sources I found, they especially dislike flashing lights, like the ones you use at Christmas.

Always pick up the feral's food before nightfall.

Trap them with a humane trap and move them, if the laws allow.

Good luck!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Re: Outdoor Shelters for Feral Cats

If you have other ideas or links, please contact me. Thanks!

Jeanie

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Flickr step by step winter feral shelter

I couldnt find how to add this on to the sticky on Feral Cat Shelters. But if you dig deep into the Urban Cat League I found this. Thought Id just post it so its easier to find and be inspired by

All Weather Feral Shelter

And the non bin shelters which you could make any size. Great slide show on flickr.com also

Non bin feral cat shelters
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Merry, I'll make it a sticky. I think both are very useful! Thanks.

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page