My saga continues... (and I need a foster home) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

My saga continues... (and I need a foster home)

If everyone has been following my story, you know I have three feral kitties who've been spayed/neutered/tested/vaxed, and put outside.

So tonight I went out to check on them and saw a strange cat that I had never seen before. I made a little kissy noise, and holey cow, she came RUNNING up to me. I reached out to pet her, and she butted her head on my hand, then turned around and stuck her butt in my face, and meowed, meowed, meowed!! I suspect she's in heat. The interesting thing, is that she has the same colour pattern as the kittens - that weird torby thing. Not a tabby, not a tortoiseshell. She looks very Main Coon-ish. She has a HUGE head, those pointy tipped ears, and that jowl hair that sticks out on their cheeks. She's a very pretty cat, and very handle-able. She must be someone's cat, or was someone's cat. She's kind of skinny, though not as bad as the kittens were.

Anyway, she's in my laundry room in a crate for tonight. I gave her a fungal/antiseptic spray as well. When I caught her the two girls went CRAZY. They woke my neighbor they were meowing so loud, and now they're hovering outside the laundry room door. Me thinks I caught mama cat tonight.

My problem is this - we are leaving Christmas day for 2 weeks. I have my animals taken care of, and I have someone putting food out for the kitties, but NO ONE is willing to feed/clean up after the feral kitties, especially with ringworm. I have no idea what to do with this cat. I have tomorrow to figure out where to take her, and the problem I had with the little ones is that no one has room. All the no-kill shelters are full. The only place that has room is Animal Control, and animal control is not a no-kill shelter. My only option at this point is to drop her off there, and see if I can re-adopt her when I get back. By then she will be available.

I'm going to email some of the rescue groups and see if I can get a foster home for her, otherwise I'm screwed. If someone will take her for the two weeks, I'll get her spayed and put her back out when I get home (on the 8th of Jan!), but she cannot stay here.

On one hand I want to take her door-to-door tomorrow and see if she belongs to someone local, but A) I know I will go ape on who ever is letting their out cat out while in heat to breed and have kittens, and B) I don't think who ever owns this cats deserves to have her back, and if they do, I'd rather just get her spayed and let her show back up at home. BUT.. I don't have the time to get her spayed. ARG. I am stressing out right now. I thought I had all my ducks in a row with getting the other spayed/neutered and put back outside. They're close, they're eating, it's all good. Now there's another one? Who the **** is doing this? Who is letting their cats outside??????

I am so mad and stressed right now.

And tomorrow is CHRISTMAS EVE. I leave at 6am on CHRISTMAS DAY. Everything will be closed. I will have to leave her at the over night drop box. I'm starting to cry just typing this. I have to take her away from her babies, and drop her off at a kill shelter?

Please, if anyone is in Florida (Palm Beach County specifically), who can take this cat for 2 weeks, please, please, PLEASE PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Premier Cat

I wish I lived closer, I really do.
Is someone coming to your home to care for your own animals or are you animals being boarded out for those two weeks? If someone is coming, can you put food outside for her (like you're doing with the released kitties?) and just hope she'll be there when you get back? Even if she does catch pregnant while you are away, she can still be spayed if it is early. If you are adverse to doing that, you could let her kitten and spay her afterwards.
I wish I had a solution for you.

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I went door to door this morning looking for the owners, and two people said they've seen the cat in the neighborhood for years, one was quite surprised I was able to catch her. She's in heat, so she's ALL OVER me.

Another house I went to, the one I went to in the beginning and the lady shut the door in my face and told me to go away... has 7 cats, and said this one is not hers. I then asked if she had any un-neutered males, and she and her daughter said "no, no, no... all our cats are fixed". Then out walks a HUGE tom, complete with gnads. I pointed to him and said "that's a tom, and he has testicles!". They insisted that he belongs to the neighbors. I told them, in no uncertain terms, that ANY cat that comes onto my property that is not fixed WILL get fixed, and WILL get their ear notched. That caught their attention, and I explained it's to help identify altered animals so they don't get re-trapped, etc. Then the daughter pipes up and tells me she was thinking of "adopting him" and taking him home, since the neighbors who he supposedly belongs too wouldn't care if he went missing since he spends all his time at their place. I told her of the places I've been taking the cats so she can get him neutered, and even told her when I get back I'll take him when take mama cat (now that I found a local place who does it for 15 bucks). She said she will take him to her vet, so we'll see when I get back. They swore he was the only one who wasn't neutered/fixed. I don't believe them. But I think I freaked them out with the ear notching thing. "They do what?.. CUT their ear off? That's terrible!" Blah blah blah..

Hey, if telling them I'll get all their ears cut off will get them spayed/neutered, then I'm all for it.

So, so, so, so, so mad. I told hubby I want my own cat trap for Christmas so I don't have to keep borrowing one. He's in denial. He thinks if I borrow it, I won't "officially" end up as that crazy neighbor cat lady. LOL. How little does he know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hope you can find foster care for her, Erin, so that she doesn't get pregnant! I wish I could offer better advice. Have a safe trip.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Premier Cat

Erin any news?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I was JUST coming to post any update!!

As you all knew from my last post, I was away for Christmas. I just got back yesterday. My husband was in charge of the kitties while I was gone, and he did very well. I found the shelter moved, and according to him it was to keep them dry as the entrance hole was in the rain. (I love that man!).

Anyway, I haven't seen Clyde or Windy.. not surprising, Windy has her nose so far up Clyde's butt it's not funny, and Clyde is a no-man's cat. But 'Lil Girl' (as we've been calling her) has turned into quite the little love bug! Just tonight I was outside with her, and she came right up to me and rubbed her head on my hand. I was able to grab her scruff enough to check her tummy - all healed! She looks good. She was the one who had the sneezes and sniffles, and she's all good now. Even after I let her go she came right back for more pats. And boy of boy, she is LOUD. The minute we walk outside she MEOWS. My neighbors routinely come outside to make sure everything is Ok. LOL

And that dang possum is back. I'm going to try to remember to feed them at dusk and pick the food up before bed and get them onto a day time feeding schedule. Lil Girl hangs out on the porch all day, but I haven't seen the others during the day.

As for mama cat, I let her go before I left. I'm going to put some food out tomorrow night and get her used to being fed out by the bushes and see if I can re-trap her. Surely she's pregnant by now. My neighbor was walking by today and offered to give me money to help with all the expenses. He's a nice man, and equated all my efforts to being good for the whole neighborhood, and he's right. We only have about 20 houses in this development, and one cat left to breed twice a year will produce quite the population of feral cats. We do NOT need that! So she's gunna get caught. Right now my daughter is sick and we're both jet lagged (over night flight... it was HORRIBLE, so we're trying to get back on our feet), but I swear, she'll be mine sometime this week. LOL

Most of all, I'm so proud of Lil Girl for coming up and saying hi. As I type I can hear her meowing. Maybe I'll try to get a video of her, ya'll will laugh at how loud she is. She puts my Siameses to shame, and that's saying something!
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Thanks for the update, Erin. I'm so glad you husband took good care of the cats while you were gone! I appreciate your dedication.

Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

I took a video! As soon as I find the cord for my camera I'll get it online. She is SUCH a sweety!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Cool Cat

aer you thinking of bringing them in the house? i hate to think of all the potential dangers outside...
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

I would love to, but I have 3 dogs, an indoor cat, and a toddler already (two of which dogs are jack rusells, and are wary of the outside cats). Ultimately, it is a goal of mine, but if I'm able to keep them safe outside, I will be happy with that. It's better then what they had before they showed up. And I still have ads placed trying to find them permanent indoors homes familiar with feral cats. For now, they're stuck outside. At least they're spayed and neutered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page