TNR gone bad (escapee cat) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

TNR gone bad (escapee cat)

I finally managed to trap a cat that's been hanging in my backyard and get her to the clinic where she was fixed, got PCN/metacam and ear-tipped. We brought her back yesterday around 4pm, got her into the cage on the porch, covered her, and she did manage to eat, take water, move her bowels and sleep for a few good long stretches.

However, about 30 minutes ago she got past us while trying to change her food and took off like a shot. She was only recovering for less than 24 hours -- I'm scared to death she's going to tear open her stitches and since it's my first shot at this, I have no idea if she's going to come back for her food or if I've now traumatized her for life. I've washed and removed the cage and put out fresh food... anyone else have any ideas or recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You must be very worried. To attract her again, I would use a canned cat food with a strong odor, such as fish. Or put some tuna juice over her canned food. Hopefully she'll get hungry and remember where she was fed. It would be better if she had been quiet and resting for a few days, but perhaps she will lie quietly on her own. Undoubtedly she's in some pain and likely to hide and rest. I'll be praying for her.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks so much. I'm really hoping she'll be back, and I know getting her to the vet is already better for her than she was -- but I was still hoping to keep her recovering for 3-4 days.

I'll keep fresh food out each day and hope for the best.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Premier Cat

Keep us informed, please.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

well, someone came last night and ate the wet food - i can only hope it was her. hopefully i'll catch sight of her in the next few days.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Cool Cat

Poor kitty. It would be good to recapture her if you can, but if not, just remember that feral cats are resilient. They are also experts at hunkering down in one place and not moving, which is what she needs to do in order to heal. Providing food is probably the best thing you can do for her, so she won't have to hunt.

You're a good person for helping this kitty!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Did you ever get her back???
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm afraid I still don't know. I've put wet out every night and each morning it's gone, but we do have one other stray that wanders the neighborhood - however, I'm cautiously optimistic it's my girl simply because I never saw the tom that regularly and he wasn't this shy. Whomever is coming by is only doing it very late at night and after the back lights all go out. Hopefully I'll catch sight of my shy eater soon!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Premier Cat

Any news, Isabel?

Jeanie

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

No, and I'm actually a little disheartened. We've caught the eater and it's the shy tom, not my girl. I want to think she's staying away because she just doesn't trust me anymore because the alternative is too upsetting. I can only hope that they gave her enough antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds to get her thru after she fled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page