Feral Cat Frustration - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Feral Cat Frustration

Hi, I'm brand new to the board...I plan on looking at everyone else's posts when I get home from work later, but I decided to say hello and give my main reason for joining.

I need moral support. I'm attempting to manage a colony of feral cats who live at the apartment complex where I work, but I live in a city with next to no resources for animals. There is no TNR program here, and no legitimate or affordable low-cost or free spay and neuter clinic. There is only the humane society which provides euthanasia to ferals upon arrival. The caretaker at the complex who is also employed by the same agency I am began trapping cats yesterday in order to take them to the humane society. He's doing this more out of a need to make people angry and a hatred of cats than he is out of pure necessity. He's also made comments about using the cats as coyote bait or shooting them, trying to get under my skin, maybe joking. I've spoken to the director of the agency and made it clear that I disagree with this course of action, and that I'm uncomfortable that someone so insensitive is in charge of the job of trapping the cats. I've told him that if given more time to trap the cats one or two at a time, get them appointments at the TNR clinic in Seattle, and to get a little money together to do so, this problem could be solved more humanely, but I have a feeling that they're trying to travel the most convenient and quickest path right now. It's going to be very hard for me to go to work knowing that behind the building one of the cats I've taken care of and fed is in a trap, waiting to be taken away. But I've already let ONE of the cats out of the trap, and I have my own trap out in an attempt to at least save one relatively tame but scared and abandoned kitty to take home myself, so I don't know what else I can do. It makes me sick. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom, comfort, or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Feral Cat Frustration

I'm so sorry, the best I can offer is to try and see if there are any independant rescue organizations that could/would get involved. I'm so sorry for the position you are in. Does your company have a Human Resources division or liason? If so, I'd advise them you consider your co-worker to be creating a hostile work environment for you by delibeartely saying/doing things that he knows aggravate and upset you and you want his comments and actions visible to you to stop immediately.
It may not change the fact that these kitties will be trapped and disposed of, but it should keep the activity out of your periphery.
Can you perhaps contact law enforcement and see what they say about this man treating these animals in an inhumane manner? (if he is threatening to use them for coyote bait, shooting them or even just purposely scaring them to laugh at) Surely there are laws preventing this type of behavior and/or the company can get a more compassionate person to handle the situation.

What a terrible position to be in, I just don't know what to say.
Heidi

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

What a terrible situation. I know you must be very upset. I can only hope that you can trap at least one of the cats. I think your co-worker is cruel, and should be reported. I would find out what Animal Control's policy is before reporting his threats, to make certain that they will not put them all to sleep. I would also inform the director that you want one of the cats, and ask him to stop the man at least until you can trap him. My heart is with you. I wish I could give you better advice. Thank you for being such a caring person. Please keep us informed.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses...I've gone to my director and told him about the cruel comments he made, and he assured me that nothing like that would happen to the animals and that he'd go to the caretaker's direct supervisor with my complaints as well as with any other suggestions I might have. But I'm really at a loss. Right now I'm waiting for replies from two women in my area who would be willing to take a couple of the cats on as barn cats. I let my director know that I really wanted to take one home, and he's been told that if he traps her he is to give her to me, but this man does not like me, and I don't feel confident that he will. I hate living in a town that has no resources for animals. Animal Control WILL put the cats down, and so will the humane society. It's so hard to change people's way of thinking. So many people take cats to the shelter for euthanasia assuming it's more humane, not even wanting to put effort into other solutions. The agency I work for supports people with developmental disabilities, and it bothers me to think that as recent as the 50s and 60s it was acceptable to ship these people off to institutions because it was cheaper and more convenient. I compare it to what's being done to the cats. I'm even nervous about going to work today because this man is really intimidating and I don't want him to bother me but I know he hates me.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Cat Addict

What a horrible situation Sometimes, we want to save the world but we can't...I know you are doing your best to help these kitties, please don't feel bad if you can't do more.

I hope things turn out for the best.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleylux
I'm even nervous about going to work today because this man is really intimidating and I don't want him to bother me but I know he hates me.
That was why I felt your situation was like a 'hostile work environment' and suggested the police. I'm not sure what the police could do, but it they were aware of this man intimidating you and/or suggested you file a restraining order against him (or suggest to your supervisor that that is how that man makes you feel) which would make it illegal for him to 'harass' you in any manner over the cats.

Again, I really don't know what to say. You are trying to do right by these cats and the lack of services and area apathy are holding you back. I wish it were different but rest assured that you are trying, and like Xanti said, don't feel badly if you can't do more than you were able to do.
Heidi

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for empathizing, that's just what I needed. If he gives me any trouble I won't let him get away with it for sure.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Premier Cat

Goodness! I just saw that you are located in Yakima. Husband and I lived south of you in Goldendale from late1998-early2001.
The winters up there are brutal on that side of the Cascades.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Aren't they?? Poor kitties. I just received an email from another site chastising me for feeding feral cats because I'm doing much more harm than good. My feathers are slightly ruffled still. : )

So you're in Georgia now? Must be looovely there, I've never been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page