Question about where to feed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Question about where to feed

I have a feral "friend" who comes every morning for food. Right now I feed her back near my garden, sort of away from my house. Now that it's winter - it's a pain for me to get back there and I would like to feed her closer to my patio door. Do you think that's a bad idea? She's harmless- won't let me near her, but comes every morning like clockwork. I didn't think I was supposed to put food hear my house, but I was wondering what other people do. I don't know ANYONE who cares for a feral, so it's nice to find this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Question about where to feed

I would put the food close to the house. And I would put a little shelter nearby for her. You can do that quite inexpensively. If you don't mind my suggesting more things, I would recommend that you spay or neuter this kitty. You will be saving lives, not only adding years on to this kitty's life. Ferals have rough lives, but thanks to people like you, life can be a lot more pleasant. Here are some links that should be helpful! Thanks for caring.

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45762

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I already have a shelter with straw in it for her, although I am not sure she actually goes in it, but it makes me feel better knowing its there. She is already spayed, as I showed my vet a picture of her ear which looked to me to be tipped and my vet agreed that it is. I don't know where this cat came from, but she seems to like my garden and being fed every day! I have no problem feeding her, since I have food already for my indoor kitties, but I can't attempt to get her in and socialize her. I already have 2 cats (and my hubby isn't even a cat person!) and she is afraid to come near me. So I just feed her. I was worried about putting the food too close to the house in terms of attracting other animals, but I actually think it will be easier for me to feed and take the bowls in.

Thanks again - glad to find a forum like this...my friends think I am crazy for caring for an outdoor cat that I won't ever be able to bond with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinli
Thanks again - glad to find a forum like this...my friends think I am crazy for caring for an outdoor cat that I won't ever be able to bond with.
But you do have a bond with her. She trusts you enough to know that she can get a decent meal from you. As far as getting her to let you touch her, just keep working with her. I'm sure, in time, that you'll be able to get her to at least let you touch her back. Good luck!

----------
Renée
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Premier Cat

I found I was attracting wildlife to my home by leaving catfood out. I began taking the food up at night, to deter the nighttime visits of opossums and racoons. Then I began only putting food out when I SAW the cats. Eventually, when they tamed, became handle-able and would come inside I began to only feed them inside the house.

I also agree. You DO have a bond with her already by providing her with a steady meal.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Cat

I have 2 stray kitties that come to my house for food. One is a grey and white male and the other one is a brindle color female. I have 3 house cats...so i already have cat food for them. But i buy a seperate bag of cat food for the stray kitties. I put out 2 bowls for them.
I also have this for them>

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1 *I know the picture of the house looks big....I got a really small one**

I have a fleece blanket inside the house for them. This little house is next to my house and its next to the vent that blows out hot air from the dryer machine. So it is sometimes warm inside for them. The food is kept inside the little house.

My only problem is the water....It is soooo cold here in Ny.. in the mid teens to 20s.. the water freezes. I need some ideas of what i can do to give them water during these cold winter months.
Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Premier Cat

I have a friend who has 10 indoor kitties and feeds ferals in her backyard. She has shelters for them also. She feeds them at the same time every morning and night on her back patio. She takes the food up when she goes to work.

We have several colonies we feed. We built raised platform so the other wild life cant get to it and the cats feel safe when eating.

I think this web page is great for insulated cat shelters.

http://www.pacthumanesociety.org/core/WinterShelter.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page