HELP !!! Cat in Ceiling !!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

HELP !!! Cat in Ceiling !!!

Hello all,

Well yesterday I caught skittie and brought her inside. I made an area in my basement for her. She kept to the corner, but when i came down I could pet her and she would come out a little bit.

Well this mourning I came downstairs to she her, but she was not there in the area. I searched and found her in the ceiling in a drop box that runs half of the basement. I could go into the bathroom and have enough room to poke my head up to see her and I could reach my hand in and pet her. She lets me pet her an doesn't his or swat or anything.

How do i get her out !!! Is this normal for feral cats to do this. I brought in mommie and her kittens and never had this problem.

I am worried sick about her. My wife says that she will come out and is just scared. Anyone have any ideas ??

Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Kitten

Re: HELP !!! Cat in Ceiling !!!

I think it'll be fine. My cat managed to get under the floorboards after we left an access panel open - twice. The first time we put smelly food a bit away from the entrance and she came out on her own after about a day. The second time, we went to an area behind her and banged on the floor with a metal pipe - she shot out of the hole like a bat of out ****! Unless there's something dangerous or sharp up there, I think she'll come out on her own eventually. Why not put some food out as an enticement?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Premier Cat

If she cannot escape the building and has a way to get back down to food/water/litterbox, she should be fine. However, after she does come down, I would secure the area so she cannot get back up there again.
Heidi

PS... Welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Well I came downstairs this mourning and found that she had came down and ate some of her food. I then looked for her and could not find her. The only ceiling tile that i did not remove ( because it was cut around the bathroom vent) was broken and laying on the floor. She had peed on my brand new mac magazine ( i don't think i will be reading that now )

Now i have three dog gates up, and they go from the floor to the ceiling. Somehow she was on the other side of these gates. ( I have no idea how) Well I found her and she followed me back to the area I made for her. She ate almost all of her food and did nothing but rub against me. I laid on the floor and she laid against me. then she got up and rubbed against my face. I pet her for about hour, then started to fix up the area.

I fixed up the area, hopefully she will not get back into the ceiling. I opened up a two door cabinet with one door closed, and put in a bed spread for her to lay on. So far she has not gone inside it. I moved the washing machine out from against the wall, to give her a small space to hide. I also created a couple area's for her to hide against.

My daughter and I went down and sat with her. She let my daughter pet her, but she cries all the time when she is alone. Not to mention she cried all night long. I guess we will see how she does.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Premier Cat

Its very common for cat who have been surviving outside to learn to fit in small spaces. They feel safe there. I would suggest you give her a couple boxes or hidey hole homes to retreat to in your basement.

In my garage where I foster there is a space between the furnace and hot water heater that is miniscule but all the cats go in there to hide when they are stressed or I first bring them in. Ive had to stuff it with towels! Then give them padded cat cubes and unside down boxes with a tiny hole for them to go into to feel safe.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I'm so glad she came out. Thank you for caring for this cat! My guess is that she is a stray who is afraid she will be abandoned again. Lots of loving care should help to stop the crying. Keep us informed, please.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page