Feral Sociology - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Feral Sociology

Do Ferals hunt in groups? What are they called? Prides? Packs? Has ANYONE done a long-term study of Ferals in the wild?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Feral Sociology

I don't know if a study has been done on that, but my cats work together if a mouse gets in the house.

I saw a special on the Discover Channel, a study of barn cats. According to the special, aunts often nurse their sister's kittens. They seem to form a "pride" of sorts. That leads me to believe that the same might be true of feral colonies. I wish I could have found some documented evidence for you.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hmm! Would this special be on dvd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Premier Cat

IMO, cats are opportunistic hunters and the first one with an opportunity to kill/eat any flushed out prey is going to do so. I do not think they hunt in an organized manner like lions or wolves, who work together to herd, seperate and bring down prey to share. I think they mostly hunt alone, unless it is a queen teaching her litter to hunt and explore their territory or is bringing live 'kills' home to teach her litter how to hunt and showing them what 'food' is.

On the farm, we found that our colony of cats got along very well. I think this was because there was never any competition for food or shelter resources. If two female cats had litters at the same time, they would nurse any kitten who came to the wet-bar. We had built a large 'cat house' out of scrap lumber and carpet, with a large sleeping area of about 3'x3' and that is where most of the cats birthed and raised their kittens.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

Feral cat colonies actually have been studied; I read of at least one back in November when I first trapped my feral family, and a quick google brings up some likely-looking links. If I remember correctly, ferals don't hunt in packs, but, at least during kitten season, males do most of the hunting and give kittens and queens preferential treatment after the kill (exactly the opposite of lion prides, where the females hunt and the males eat first).

I think a group of cats is called a clowder.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Premier Cat

AC, I would appreciate a link. I looked specifically under the subject of feral cats hunting in packs and found nothing. Thanks.

Bluemilk, as for the TV program, I don't know if it's available on DVD. Sorry. It was quite interesting.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

Jeanie, I wish I could give it to you. I did so much research when I first trapped Spencer's family, literally hours worth. I didn't keep the website because the info posted wasn't as in-depth as I was looking for. It was more like an overview of the study results.

I never googled hunting, though, only feral cats, feral cat colonies, feral cat behavior, feral cat socialization, that kind of thing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Premier Cat

I know what you mean! You know, I think it's unlikely that we could keep up with hunting ferals; they move pretty fast!

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page