She's home! But...
Yea! Lexi is home and so happy to be here! As soon as I let her out of the carrier yesterday, she looked at me and meowed a few times, ran to look out the front door, looked up and down the hallway, proceeded to eat a 1/2 can of food, used the litterbox, drank water like there was no tomorrow, then stayed at my feet purring to be pet for the following hour, before deciding to look out the front door for awhile before crashing on the couch. Today she seems to be feeling just as good. It's funny, that upon reading what I just wrote I would "oh, that cat's a stray", but she is a feral that has come a long way, spending 3 years living with us, and 1 1/2 years of that with me living on the floor acting like a cat! It's amazing how she'll completely transform and revert with strangers.
Anyway, news so far is not really good. Her doctor called and got her blood tests back and said she has nonregenerative anemia; she thinks Lexi may have lupus or latent FeLV (since she's tested neg. already). I know her blood values have fluctuated with each (4) blood test she's had these past 2 month; sometimes moderately anemic, sometimes not at all, initially regeneratively, now not. It's making me crazy. She says I have to do a bone marrow biopsy. I don't want to. We both agreed to wait for ear biopsy result before proceeding with what to do.
How do you when enough is enough? If she's always stressed from human contact (by a vet tech coming over once or twice a day to medicate her at home, vet appts, hospital stays, etc). This has been going on since Jan 3rd. The vet's concern is that my other 2 cats are FIV+. I'm concerrned about that, too; they've been living together for 3 years now. With the exception of Lexi's ears, everyone appears fine; appetites are too good, playful, have all been to the vet just this past month, and I've read that latent infection is not transmissible. I'd be willing for Lexi to have more bloodwork and xrays, but I don't feel that going under anesthesia for the 3rd time in a month, and having pain, stitches, a hospital stay with possibly that infamous e-collar would really solve anything if she does come up positive for it; it's comfort care at that point. I'd even be willing to bring in my other 2 for blood tests to see if they now test positive (which I seriously doubt). It seems like no one understands - she is a FERAL cat; like you all know, she doesn't handle things the way others do. Any thoughts? Thanks again ladies, Kathy