TNR for a female cat - Update: Good news! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

TNR for a female cat - Update: Good news!

If all goes according to plan (ha ha! ), on Monday I'll be spaying Eva, only my second female feral. I'm really nervous about the possibility that she might have nursing kittens hidden somewhere.

I've asked the vet to check her out and let me know if she looks like she's been nursing. I still want to do the spay either way, because I'll never catch her again if I let her go. The vet is OK with it; they either don't use sutures or uses ones that dissolve, so I don't need to worry about that; and all the TNR sites say you can spay nursing mothers and let them out 24 hours later. So it should be OK, right? But I'm still really squeamish about releasing a cat so soon after surgery. Am I over-worrying?

This all may be moot if she doesn't find her way into my trap on Sunday, which I have no doubt already jinxed by talking about it. With a tomcat I would trap first, then make the appointment, but I don't want to have her in captivity one minute longer than necessary in case of kittens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Premier Cat

Re: TNR for a female cat

I had to do that once, TNR a feral female and let her go immediately after spaying. She managed to do just fine. She didn't run off and she kept returning for the food. It took a lot of time (around 3yrs, start to comfortable and relaxed housecat) and effort, but I did manage to tame and socialize her. She is my Pretty cat, who was TNR'd the winter of 2004 and is now a calm and happy housecat.

Overall, I'd say winter is the best time for TNR as it helps against developing infections warm weather can encourage. I still worried, I knew I wouldn't be able to catch her again to treat her if something went wrong, but I had to TNR her or be overrun with kittens. My experience was successful, the odds are great that yours will be, too.
h

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks Heidi, that's reassuring! I'm glad Pretty finally took you up on your offer. I bet she wonders now what she was ever thinking, staying out in the cold for three years.

Speaking of cold, I never knew that cold weather could inhibit infections -- makes sense, though. Unfortunately (from that perspective), it's in the 70s here right now. At least I don't have to worry about keeping her warm. My biggest worry is always rain, and naturally, there are isolated thunderstorms forecast for Sunday, the day I need to trap her.

Just out of curiosity, is the yearly breeding cycle different in warm vs. cold climates? February is official spay/neuter month around here, apparently because mating picks up in earnest in the spring. It definitely seems like more kittens are born in the summer, too. Is that pretty much universal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Premier Cat

I think you'd have to ask Merry (Mitts & Tess) about that. I only just recently learned cats HAD seasons. I thought they could come into and go out of season all year round. I had heard of "kitten season", but I never really put 2+2 together. I think I always assumed summertime meant more kittens surviving and needing to find homes.

I am guessing, but I would bet that more temperate climates are more conducive to longer 'seasons'. I know it isn't temperature, but the number of daylight hours that tell a horse to grow and shed their winter hair coats. Perhaps it is similar for kitties?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Premier Cat

We have kittens all year round here. Spring and Summer is still the highest number of kittens for us. I attributed the year round litters to our milder winters. The big downside to our climate is parasites that live in the soil and are never killed off.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for the replies. Looking back, I remember now that we caught some probably five-week-old kittens in late March a couple of years ago, so they would have been born in February. And if you get them year-round in Arizona, Merry, we probably do here too.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to catch Eva yet. I did get a good look at her from a distance on Sunday, though, and her belly looked noticably plump to me. So I really need to catch her ASAP!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Premier Cat

Fingers crossed you can trap her soon. Its so frustrating when they wont cooperate!

Recently we had a cat with a broken leg we were trying to get. We got every other feral in the trap.. Took us several weeks of attempts. We were very worried for her. When we finally did her in a trap and took her to the vet,he said it had healed on its own but it will never be right. Im surprised it wasnt oozing with infection!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It took forever, but I finally caught Eva! I was able to get a squeeze-in appointment at the spay/neuter clinic within 24 hours. Not nursing! Not pregnant! Getting spayed as we speak!

The only downside is that she has a "fairly significant" umbilical hernia. I'd never heard of it, but it seems to be a hernia possibly caused by a failure of the umbilicus to heal properly after birth? I'm not entirely clear on that. It can be dangerous if left untreated for too long.

But they can fix the hernia during the spay surgery, and they're only charging me an extra $35! The spay itself is only $45 -- I love this clinic.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Premier Cat

Re: TNR for a female cat - Update: Good news!

Woot! Congrats on catching Eva and getting her all fixed up.
Wish me luck, now.
I've just started seeing/feeding a tortie on the back porch. Yesterday afternoon, she only moved off about 2-3yards when I put kibbles out for her to eat. I *think* her belly is looking a little big-ish and she is tiny. Maybe 6-8mo old. I need to determine if I can catch her and bring her to my bathroom for taming/birthing or only do TNR.
Oh, and then there are the two tomcats who come every evening to eat and yowl/tangle with each other. It just never ends. *slaps hand to forehead!*

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Re: TNR for a female cat - Update: Good news!

Good luck, Heidi! I hope you can catch them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page