What do I do?? UPDATE!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

What do I do?? UPDATE!!!!

I just found two kittens roaming around my apartment complex. They are both skinny and dirty, and the medium haired tabby is matted. I wouldn't doubt that they could belong to some stupid person living in this complex. They both seemed friendly, and immediately came up for head rubs. I put some canned food out for them, and the tabby is chowing down. The black kitty ran off, and I haven't seen him for a few minutes. The tabby let me pick her up and purred like crazzy!!
So do I let them roam (assuming they have owners), or take them to a shelter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Re: What do I do??

you could try putting up a notice somewhere in you apartment block to find out if some one owns them.
If you get no replies then take them to a shelter
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

There is a list of no-kill shelters here:

http://www.saveourstrays.com/no-kill.htm

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the replies. The medium haired tabby is now shut in my guest bedroom with food and a litterbox. When I picked her up outside it was obvious she was just skin and bones. You can feel every inch of her spine and count all of her ribs; I just couldn't leave her outside in the cold. I wasn't able to catch the black kitty, he took off and I haven't seen him in a while. He was short haired, and looked a lot better off than this little girl. I am going to post some fliers and see if anyone claims her.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm0513
Thanks for the replies. The medium haired tabby is now shut in my guest bedroom with food and a litterbox. When I picked her up outside it was obvious she was just skin and bones. You can feel every inch of her spine and count all of her ribs; I just couldn't leave her outside in the cold. I wasn't able to catch the black kitty, he took off and I haven't seen him in a while. He was short haired, and looked a lot better off than this little girl. I am going to post some fliers and see if anyone claims her.
First off thumbs up to you for taking an interest in the well being of these kittens. You truly have a kind soul.

I would continue to put out food for the black kitten. They live and circle in the same areas. He will come by again looking for his buddy and for food. I would contact a TNR group in your area or check with the Humane Society in your area to see if they lend out humane trap and trap this little guy asap. From the condition you described of his buddy the black one doesnít have long to live. He or she will die from dehydration and starvation. A horrible death.

How old do you think these kittens are? Do know if a cat is taken to a shelter that is a kill shelter (humane society do euthanize) 75% of cats are euthanized that are end up in kill shelters.

Also be sure and give the shelter a donation. All rescues are hurting right now because of the massive dumping of animals in this economy. They are strapped. This will help assure this kitten gets the medical attention it needs. It may have other issues besides starvation that need to be treated. Ringworm, parasites, the cost of spays or neuter and shots. It cost us near $100 per cat if they donít have medical issues. We just rescued a near death declawed cat that cost us $500 to bring back to health. The kind woman who asked us to take this cat is raising money to help with our expenses. Were half way to having it covered.

Keep us posted on what is happening with these kittens. My thoughts and prayers go out for them.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I still haven't seen any signs of the little black kitten.
The little grey tabby (whom I have ascertained is definately a girl-kitty, and whom I've been calling Baby Kitty) is greatly enjoying my nice, warm guest bedroom and plenty of small meals for her delicate tummy (she's so skinny that I dare not give her too much in one sitting, and instead just spread it out into little meals many times a day). Baby Kitty and Nefertiti have been having semi-peaceful negotiations through the door, and Baby Kitty has proved to be quite the escape artist as I try to enter the room to care for her.
I gave her a bath just a little while ago; the water was literally brown as I was rinsing her. I could also see the extent of her malnutrition, and I am surprised this little kitten is alive, let alone as lively and playful as she is. I have always said that Nef is a petite little kit-kat and could stand a little more meat on her bones; Baby Kitty makes Nef look positively obese . I could count every one of her ribs, feel every bone in her spinal processes, and feel every hip bone. She looks like a skeleton with fur.

I've cleaned the gook out of her eyes with a warm towel; what is the best way to clean out her ears? She lets me look in her ears, and is overall pretty tolerant of me, but I don't know what the best way to go about cleaning them out is. They look absolutely filthy

Mitts and Tess, I'm not really sure how old she is; I will post pictures of her tomorrow and maybe someone can help me figure out her approximate age.
I'll be looking for organizations tomorrow that may be able to take her in and/or help me catch the little black kitten. He seemed friendly enough, so I am hoping that I will see him soon and he will come up for lovings and I can grab him. But, for now I am putting out food for him and hoping that he is ok. I will ask around about potentially getting a humane trap to catch him with.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm0513
I'll be looking for organizations tomorrow that may be able to take her in and/or help me catch the little black kitten. He seemed friendly enough, so I am hoping that I will see him soon and he will come up for lovings and I can grab him. But, for now I am putting out food for him and hoping that he is ok. I will ask around about potentially getting a humane trap to catch him with.
Oh, good luck! Don't give up hope, we had a member here who caught all of the kittens but it took her almost a week before the last one would go in the trap. Baby Kitty is very lucky you were able to catch her. Lets hope the luck holds and you get the little black one, too.
Heidi

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Premier Cat

After I give a cat a bath I wrap them up in a towel with just their head sticking out and bend back the ear and take a Q tip and clean out the ear. Other cats I have put in an ear wash and Q tip out the crud. Or scruff them and clean the ears that way. If the crud continues to appear they might have ear mites then you could get ear drops from your vet for that. Oh they love that!!!!

I would suggest giving your kitten Maitake-DMG liquid vitamins. It will help them to recover quickly back to health. I think I got mine thru KV Vet for the best price. But I ordered massive quanities cuz I had so many sick cats at the time.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Well, Baby Kitty has been gaining quite a little Buddah belly during her stay with me!!!! Her ears have been cleaned out and now look much nicer, and I've trimmed her claws.
I've been setting out food for the black kitty, but it doesn't look like its being eaten... I may try putting food in a more secluded spot and see if that works better. I've also not actually seen black kitty since the day I brought in Baby Kitty, but I'm not giving up on the little dude yet!
I may have found a local woman who is looking for a kitten and may be willing to take her; she seems like a good woman and has already set up for a spay and vaccinations with the Humane Society (the next available appointments are far in advance, so I think she was fairly sure of finding a kitten by the middle to end of March). I'm crossing fingers and toes that it will be a good match!

Thanks all for the support!!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Premier Cat

That's great news! Look at the huge difference you've made in Baby Kitty's life, by finding her a nice home and making sure she gets the help she needs. I hope you're able to find the black one . . .

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page