Indoor Feral Cat With Hairball Problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Indoor Feral Cat With Hairball Problem

Hi. I just joined because I have a problem with a feral cat and I'm hoping someone here has some advice. I have been living with a feral cat in my house for the past 10 years. Long story - an unsuccessful attempt to 'un-feral' a cat. Anyway, we co-exist quite peacefully and she gets along fine with my other cat. So I just say that I have a cat and my cat has her own cat. Anyway, Mindy, the feral cat, keeps at least a 5 foot distance from me at all times and freaks out if I accidentally get any closer. I have even seen her jump 10 feet from a dead stop just to get away from me. She is a DSH, but the type with very slightly longer hair. I cannot get near her to brush her and she is apparently ingesting a lot of hair. Consequently, she vomits hairballs rather frequently. I have tried a number of the hairball formula cat foods, but neither of my cats will eat them. Obviously, I can't get near her to use the linatone type stuff either. Does anyone know of something I can add to the food she likes, maybe an unobjectionable oil, that might help with the hairball problem? Or suggest a hairball formula cat food that cats absolutely can't resist? Lately she is vomiting pretty much every day, and I feel very bad for her, not to mention that I'm getting tired of shampooing carpet every day. I have even considered trying a Hav-a-Hart trap in the house, and then keeping her in a large dog crate so I can brush her and do the linatone thing, but at her age I'm afraid I could stress her into a heart attack if I trapped and crated her. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Indoor Feral Cat With Hairball Problem

Welcome, and I'm sorry you are having trouble with your unsocialized kitty having hairballs. It does make it difficult to treat, since she won't let you near. May I ask what kind (brand) of food you are currently feeding them? I have learned that some cats do not do very well on the poorer quality foods and this can make them shed quite a bit, but if you slowly switch their food to much better quality and/or increase most of their meals to canned food or raw, their haircoat improves dramatically, and I think this would equate to less hairballs for you to have to deal with.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Premier Cat

Wow if this was a question on stump the chump I would loose. That is the downside to ferals. You cant get near them to treat them. I have no idea. Does anyone know of a herb or holistic treatment she could put in food? I agree a good quality food does wonders on shedding and coats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm. Good quality food. That's also a problem LOL. I have purchased the better brands of dry cat food, Wellness, etc., but my cats don't like it and I end up throwing out what's in their bowls and bringing the almost full bags to a local shelter that houses a feral colony. My cats prefer Friskies! They're really cheap dates. I leave out 2 bowls of dry food, one of which is the "indoor" type that they rarely eat, and every night they get a can of food. Again, they prefer the Friskies to any of the better brands. I think I'll check for a liquid linatone type thing at the pet store and see if they'll eat their food with that added to it. Unfortunately, I don't know which cat eats what, but the other cat sometimes barfs hairballs too, even though I brush her. So it can't hurt. Thanks for your input.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Premier Cat

Fortunately there is a large variety of premium foods available. Give the others a try. Or try canned which would be even better for them in the premium foods. Couldnt hurt! Less rug cleaning possiblely
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Premier Cat

I talked with a friend of mind who is knowledgable in natural remedies. She read Flax oil put on their food can help. She found that in the book Veterinarians Guide to Natural Remedies for Cats by Martin Zucker.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! That's what I was hoping. I'll check it out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I haven't tried it, but I understand that pumpkin might help.

Quote:
Pumpkin
As the proud owner of 7 pukin' cats I'd like to pass on a 'natural' food to help eliminate hairballs. As an animal technician, I have tried everything! We simply mix equal amounts of canned pumpkin puree - yep - the pie stuff - with wet food, and give it twice a week. I use one cane of wet food for the 7 cats... Have tried the pumpkin plain but they ignored it. Have been doing this for 2 months and get about 1 puke a week instead of a couple a day. And I have 3 long hair cats.. Don't know why it works but it does!
There are a lot more ideas at the link where I got this idea. Also, there were many other sources that recommended pumpkin. I hope it works!

http://www.katpuke.com/remedy-reviews.html

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll check out that site. I researched some foods, and Royal Canin Intense Hairball got a lot of very good reviews. So I'm going to buy some this afternoon. Very expensive, but worth it if it works. But I'll also check into the more natural remedies.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 AM

i've had a lot of success getting my cats to eat the "Lickables" brand hairball remedy:

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.a ... id=0029409

it isn't made with petrolatum and appears to be way more palatable, my cats will eat this stuff on a plate, as opposed to the usual meds, which I have to rub on their fur to get them to lick off.

good luck with your guy, we have two semi-ferals inside. they're still young so they may yet come around, but otherwise they sound similar to your feral.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page