Need Help Fast to save Kittens!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Need Help Fast to save Kittens!!

I am not a Big Cat lover, however, there is a Black wild cat on my property that had 5 or 6 kittens in a large Oak tree at the base. Like a cave in the base of the tree. We found them by accident when raking 2 weeks ago. The cat would not come to us, but she didn't have a problem with us looking at the kittens in the hole - We never touched them. A few days later the kittens were moved - We never saw where she moved them -

Last night I saw a Dead cat on the side on the road that looked like the Black cat that had the kittens. I took my wife back to see the dead Cat. She had seen the momma cat up close - She said the face had little brown rings around her eyes - Well, this is the Momma cat - She even had milk titties - It appears that she was killed (Hit by car) yesterday -

I have spent 2 hours last night looking and listening for the kittens - I got up at daylight this morning and spent another 2 hours looking and listening - I read that the momma will not move the kittens too far from the original birth place - Is this true? How can I find the kittens? - Any advice will help - Thanks I suspect the kittens to be about 4 weeks old
David Lloyd - 901-277-7710 mobile -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Need Help Fast to save Kittens!!

Hi David,
I just left a voice-mail message on your phone.
I had a feral mother cat killed in the road in front of my house a few years ago. It took me two days to find her litter, which were only 9 days old at the time they were orphaned. She came to my house for food every day and was only 2 houses away, she'd had her kittens at an outside corner of a neighbor's house, which surprised me, because this particular home had a LOT of dogs, in the house and backyard! Anyhow, I was only able to find them because on the second day, they were HUNGRY and screaming little mews for their momma. At that time, I had a cat (Shadow) who was nursing a litter in my bathroom and she let me put the orphans on her right away so they could at least get a meal, then I went to the store and got little nursing bottles and formula. I like the PetAg kitten nursing bottle/nipples and Farnam's "Just Born w/Colostrum", it comes in little milk cartons or a powder. I used the powder and mixed my own since I had an entire litter to feed. Shadow had 5 of her own to nurse and I couldn't ask her to take on 5 more, it wouldn't have been good for her and neither of the litters would have received enough nourishment.

So.
Walk around and search in concentric rings, out from that tree. Checking every conceivable hiding place. (mine were under a shrub at a wind-protected corner of a house)
Listen for them to cry.
Look for them to be wandering around.
You can make little "inquiring" meows to try to call to them. A mother cat uses what sounds like "Mert-Myrtle, Mert-Myrtle" to call her babies to food, either to nurse or when she brings them game to practice hunting skill on. You can also make little 'distressed' kitten cries of "mew! mew!" and try to get them to respond to that call, too.

They will only have about a week before they succumb, unless there are temperature extremes and/or predators around.
Best of luck finding them.
heidi

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Premier Cat

Oh crumbs .... hope you find the poor wee babies before its too late.

Good luck!!!

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I pray that you find those babies! Keep us updated, please. I feel so bad that mother cat was killed.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry I missed your phone call! I was driving around town doing my shopping.
Still wishing you the best of luck in finding them.

...on a more somber note:
I was thinking about this as I was driving around, today. IF you are unable to find this litter, because the mother hid them too well, please do not feel an unbearable burden of guilt. You have *tried* to find/save them, and if you are unable to find them, you and Heaven know that you did your very best to give them a chance at life.
heidi

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Heidi - I have heard from several different people with Great suggestions on how to locate the kity's - Someone suggested using a dog with a good nose to search around. I have the perfect dog for this (didn't even think about my little Bambi helping) she is a miniture pincher - With a nose like "No bodies Business" - I plan to search around some more this afternoon - Thanks for eveyone help and advice - Will update you hopefully with Good News

David
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Premier Cat

Oh! Bambi sounds like a fabulous "secret weapon"! Good luck!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Premier Cat

Any news on the kittens? Praying he finds them. Dave your a great guy for caring and trying.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Hello - My update is not what I had hoped. I have spents several hours (night and day) walking around, listening very close for the kittens. I even used a zoom microphone with a headset which ampifies the sounds - I have not heard a peep from them. I just have to hope someone else got them that I don't know about, or I have to accept that some times nature is not perfect for all animals - Thanks for everyone's help and advice
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:51 AM

Oh, my god. Poor kittens. And Momma cat... Hope they will find a home soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page