Found a kitten today...(update page 3) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Found a kitten today...(update page 3)

There is a feral cat around our neighborhood that we sometimes feed and she got pregnant. She had her kittens somewhere a couple weeks ago and just today I heard one mewing for the first time behind the fence in our backyard... I went back to investigate and he came right out to greet me! He had been mewing for a good 45 minutes before I tried feeding him some milk through a syringe with no luck. If the momma cat doesn't come back by tomorrow I was going to take him over to my friend's house and see if his nursing cat will feed him. How long should I wait for the kitten's mother before I do this? Any tips on taking care of such a tiny kitten if the mother doesn't come back?

Here's a pic!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Found a kitten today...

What I would do: If I see a kitten alone anywhere...I am taking it home to care for. Especially if Mamma is a feral, I want the opportunity to raise and socialize the kittens so *they* can get good homes and if I can, I TNR (trap, neuter, release) the mother cat.

I would bottle raise the kitten with KMR (kitten milk replacer) and a bottle/nipple. I like the PetAg brand bottles/nipples and I like the kmr product called "Just Born w/ Colostrum" made by Farnam. If it is only one kitten, I use the little pre-mixed cartons. If it is a litter of kittens more than 2, I buy the canister of powder and mix it myself, making a fresh batch every 24hrs.

*the reason why I do this, is I want the chance for the kitten to get a good home. If Mamma was moving her nest, either one-at-a-time and dropped the kitten, or was moving them all together as a "field trip" and he got left behind, I would say an hour is plenty time to wait. I would never wait overnight, and certainly more than a few hours. The cries of the kitten...if they don't attract Mamma...will eventually attract the attention of *other* animals. Animals that could harm/kill the kitten.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Welp, The momma never showed, so I went and got the "just born" kitten formula and the bottle... he WOULD NOT EAT IT. no matter what we tried. I managed to force small amounts on him, but it wasn't really working out. I ended up taking him to a friends house who's cat just had kittens and she sniffed him and started cleaning him right away! I put him in the box with the others and we stayed until he was eating and we knew the momma was fine with him there. The only problem is he is a week or 2 older than the other kittens (they still have their eyes closed)... I guess we will just have to watch him and make sure he's not too pushy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Wow! Very cool that the momma cat took the kitten right in. And great that you were there to look out for the little one.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Premier Cat

Yay! Wow, what a good mamma cat! I found an orphaned litter of 5 and my nursing mamma cat would let them nurse, but she would not sniff/lick them at all. So I only used her for about 3 days until I could get all of the babies switched to the bottle. Your single kitten should do well with the other litter. Do have your friend make sure the littler kittens are getting enough to eat off the mamma. One of the very BEST things about her taking him in, is she will care for him and raise him as her own, teaching him what he needs to know to be a kitty AND he will get plenty of 'nursing' behavior that bottle fed kittens just don't get.
h =^..^=

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

The best part is my friend actually has 2 cats that just had kittens at almost the exact same time! One had 6 and the other only had 1... so all the kittens are in the same "nest" and the mommas actually take turns feeding them!!! Plenty of milk to go around! He already has homes lined up for most of his kittens and is going to have them all fixed ahead of time once they are old enough... I assume he'll be getting the mommies fixed too (they are really strays he takes care of and they stay in his shed). I'm gonna keep mine! I think Toby needs a playmate anyways, hopefully the age difference and the fact that they are both males isn't going to be an issue with them getting along. Just gotta come up with a name... hmmm....
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Tom Cat

What a cute little kitty! What about the name "Shorty"?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Cat Addict

With that coloring is it possible that the kitten is female? VERY pretty little face. I'm glad you rescued her and are going to give her a home.

Sue

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Premier Cat

Good job! It was so kind of you to rescue that kitten. I would focus on trapping the mother cat now by getting her spayed so this doesnt repeat itself in another 4 months. You can put a hav a heart humane trap out, baited with mackeral or tuna, to get her into the trap. Have a pending appointment set up at your humane society or vet that this cat is coming in when you get her.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Tom Cat

What a cute kitty!
I like the name Shorty proposed by another member!!!

You did a great job by bringing this kitty to your friend's house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page