NEED ADVICE/HELP - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

NEED ADVICE/HELP

Recently a mama feral had babies under my patio, i was going to wait untill they were weened as I had been told and take them all in including the mom to be spayed and neutered and released again, I did my best to keep the neighbor from going after them and they were safe as long as they stayed here but they began to wander and even though i kept putting food they were all gone. I just knew that he had killed them like he does with all the cats and other animals he can find. Then this morning i heard crying as i was leaving and saw one of the little kittens with its head stuck in the lattice under the pattio, I cut him/her out and put it in my bathroom while i wait for the people who do the testing, spay/neutar, deworm and vaccinations, my vet wanted 300 dollars this group will do it for 25. I am not a cat person but I just cant let this little guy/gal go out and fend for itself against this evil evil man. But i have never had a cat let alone a wild one, It is about 8 weeks old give or take a week. I have a dog who doesnt like other dogs but LOVES cats for some reason (German Shepherd) anyway I want to give this cat a home and save it, i know what it can be like out there. I just need some advice on how to proceed in getting to trust me. It has let me pet it, but it has been hiding behind the sink i think it is just too terrified to try and bite me. It hasnt come out even when i am not in there to eat. But it has only been a few hours. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Cat

Re: NEED ADVICE/HELP

ah poor little kitty! and i commend your for saving the little guy/gal

my advice is FOOD....stinky meaty food the kitten wont be able to resist. like dry kitten food with tuna fish juice poured over it, or....just the tuna itself. or even warm milk. though i dont know if id let kitty eat to much of it. i really dont know if tuna will make a cat sick. you may be better off going to get some cat wet food.

im no pro. but assuming kitty is still hiding, i would take the food in there, and put it down, and sit down, or even lay down a couple feet from it. The kitty will be very hungry at some point, and the stronger smelling food you put out, the harder it will be for a scared kitten to resist. Talk quietly and nicely to it, my cats responed to a soft voice. My moms cat will even purr just from her talking sweetly too him, without even touching the cat.

food seems to be one of the most reliable ways to get an animal to trust/like you. and getting down on kittys level (ie, sitting or laying down) makes you not seem as large, so less intimidating. It make take a little while, but i would be supprised if it took more than a couple days for the kitten to stop being so terrified.

even though the kitten was born in the wild, cats have been bred as human companions for.....i dunno, thousands of years? i swear it is in thier blood to like humans.
good luck and let us know how it goes!

**********WAIT A SECOND!!!!!! are you saying its a PERSON? MAN? who kills neighborhood cats?*****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

yea well i went out and got a litter box and some litter, some cat milk and a big box full of packets of wet foodhiskas Tenderbites favorite 24 jumbo pack it doesnt seem to want it wheather i am in the room or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

yea it is the evil old man next door who kills cats, even ones that belong to people, he has also killed dogs and anything else that runs around really, I havnt seen a squirel around here since I got here
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Cat

my god! that is absolutely horrible! anyone ever though of reporting him? i guess it would be hard to prove he does that kind of stuff.

i must admit, i have a bad temper for this type of thing, and an extremely severe opinion of how people who abuse animals should be handled.......i would probably be in trouble if i lived next to that man.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

i have reported him but like you said there is no proof, my other neighbor filed a police report saying she saw him come on my property and shoot an animal with a B B gun, so i was only able to get him notified that he cant come on my property, i hate people who abuse children and animals more than anything else but me doing something about it isnt worth going to jail over then who would be here to try and help them
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGotrokz
yea well i went out and got a litter box and some litter, some cat milk and a big box full of packets of wet foodhiskas Tenderbites favorite 24 jumbo pack it doesnt seem to want it wheather i am in the room or not.
its still only been a few hours right? it may take days, or even weeks for the cat to warm up to you. As far as eating goes, the cat will probably get so hungry at some point between now and tomorrow, that will not be able to resist the food. Poor kitten is probably scared half to death from whatever it experienced outside that day you found it.

have you taken it to the vet yet? just a thought, but one reason it may not be moving, or hungry is if its sick or injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGotrokz
i have reported him but like you said there is no proof, my other neighbor filed a police report saying she saw him come on my property and shoot an animal with a B B gun, so i was only able to get him notified that he cant come on my property, i hate people who abuse children and animals more than anything else but me doing something about it isnt worth going to jail over then who would be here to try and help them
yeah i completly agree...its just so frustrating when you cant do anything about it

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

I had to take it to the vet to get the part of the lattice around its neck off, i didnt want to cut that close to it, and they charged me 110 for that, said it seemed very healthy just very scared, didnt do any of the blood work cause said i should wait till i know if i am keeping it, but better that way cause they wanted so much money I am going to take it monday for the works at the other place
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Cat

seems to me like you are going everything right. Im almost positive the kitty will come out of it eventually. It will start to loosen up once it realizes its in a safe place, and you gave it a safe place and food to eat, so its only a matter of time.

Im sure someone on here as had experience with taking in a scared wild kitten, hopefully they will post some tips for you as well.

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

As Dustin said, it wouldn't be unusual for the kitten to refuse food the first day. If you had bought the kitten from a breeder, it would have done the same thing. Yes, food is a great help in making friends. Fortunately, this is a young kitten, and will not take too long to trust you. I would sit on the floor near its hiding place, and dim the lights. Put the food near the kitten, but don't try to touch the kitten. Just keep moving the food a bit closer each day. After a few days, if it seems less shy, try an inactive toy such as Da Bird. And keep moving the food closer---and talk softly to the kitten.

I would do this at every feeding. Eventually, the kitten will get curious and come up to you and sniff your hand. Hold off touching her until she makes it very obvious that she wants to be touched. She'll rub against your hand. Just do everything at her pace. Eventually, if she hasn't initiated touching, put the food right on your lap. Eventually, she'll make friend. It could take a few days, a week, or perhaps longer, but you will have a pet. Just don't rush. Cats like to think everything is their own idea. Kittens are so much fun. I think you're in for a treat.

Thank you so much for caring. I hope that cruel neighbor eventually had to pay for what he's done. He's a monster.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page