Tryn to figure out the orange kittys family - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Tryn to figure out the orange kittys family

As you know...we have 3 orange kittens that came to my house around may of 2009. They have gotten bigger and alot braver. The mom is a brindle with very little orange on her. Mom and i are tryn to figure out who the dad is...

There is a grey male with while markings on him... i call him smokey....but i don't know if hes the father of the orange kittens.. but when he comes around to eat..the kittens don't seem to mind him being there. Smokey doesn't mind the kittens either. There are no other orange cats around to be the father of these kittens... .. how can a brindle female and a grey male cat make orange cats?

any ideas?

thanks.
PS I emailed a few shelters about these guys....i am waiting to hear back from them. One shelter said they would loan as a trap to get them fixed..but that doesn't help them get homes. So we will see what the other places say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Tryn to figure out the orange kittys family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCatzGirl
As you know...we have 3 orange kittens...
The mom is a brindle with very little orange on her.
Mom and i are tryn to figure out who the dad is...
There are no other orange cats around to be the father of these kittens...
How can a brindle female and a grey male cat make orange cats?
any ideas?
It is the FEMALE cat who decides what color *male* kittens will be.
Color is carried on the female "X" chromosome, not the male "Y". Females are "XX" and since color is carried on the X, that is how we get calicos and tortoiseshells; two "X" chromosomes can mean two colors: red and black.
Of course, males are "XY", and with color carried on the X, male kittens get their color from their mother, and if she was a black/red calico-tortie ... then you have two choices of color that the male kittens of the litter can be. Your male kitten got Mamma's red on the X chromosome she gave him. The sire (gray kitty), gave him a Y chromosome to make him male. If the gray sire had given him a female-deciding-X for black and/or dense, he could have been a female kitty; either black/gray or calico/tortie black-red/gray-buff or red/buff, depending on what was inherited from the mother.
heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page