Some Good News and some questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Some Good News and some questions

I told my friend about the 3 cats that we have. So she called her vet and they said they were full..but they gave her a phone number to another vet. So my friend called that vet and told them about the cats and they said they would take them. So now we have to catch 2 of them...we are taking in the 3rd cat. So here are some questions i came up with..

1. How do i catch the 2 cats? They let me go near them..but they won't let me touch them. My other friend has a big cat carrier...so should i leave that outside for a few days to let them get used to it and then maybe once they go in it..close the door on them. ?

2. The cats use our garden as a litter box.. So do you think once we took in the 3rd cat he would be okay to use the litter box to go bathroom?

3. How long should we keep him away from my 2 cats and the dog before he can be free to roam around the house? We have a small office in my house that hes going to stay in for a while. Yes,we will be taking him to the vet to have him checked over and to be fixed.

I hope Brave Kitty(now his name will be Rusty.. or hunter...)isn't sick ... i hope he will come out okay. To me...he looks healthy. There are no fleas to ticks on him.

Thanks for reading this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: Some Good News and some questions

Rusty's cute!

I would borrow a humane trap from the Humane Society. Make sure the kittens are really hungry, and put something that smells great in the back of the trap. Put the trap in a natural hiding place, and try to be hiding near by, so that the kitten doesn't panic. Have the vet's office informed of when you're going to try to trap them ( or one at a time). Have a towel or dark cloth ready to cover the trap when the kitten enters. That will also help him to remain somewhat calm. Then take him to the vet as soon as possible.

Show Rusty the litter box and scratch his little paws back and forth. He will want a place to use.

I would introduce Rusty to your other cats slowly, first keeping him in another room, while exchanging bedding with the other cats--about a week. Then exchange sleeping rooms.

If you can find a way, the second week would be the time to allow them to see the other cats through a small opening in the doorway. You could hang a toy for interactive play also, but wait a few days before they are in the same room together. You will have to use your judgment on the number of days for each step, depending on the cats' reaction.

After a few days, put Rusty in a carrier or play pen and put him in the same room. Watch the reaction, and when you feel confident, a few days later, allow him to meet one of the cats as you supervise. If that goes well, repeat the last two steps for the other cat. Take your time! It's worth it!

I wish you the best. Keep us informed, please.

PS Kittens adjust more quickly than cats.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thank you for your help.

We are aiming for next week for this to happen.

Do you think the new kitty will be alright being inside? He will be warm and stuff...but do you think he will adjust to being inside for a long time.

My other question is... Since the orange cats will have a place to live...what should i do about Smokey and Ms.Brindle Cat? They don't come to the house every day. They come every now and then. Should i still put food out for them? Should it be every day? every other day? I'll keep the little house out for them to go into.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Premier Cat

They depend on you, so I would feed them daily. You're getting them neutered, or got them neutered, right? That's really important!

I think Rusty will adjust well to being indoors, since he's very young. It might take a bit of patience, but he'll be safer.

What a good meowmie you are!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Yes,we are getting him fixed. This will make him calmer right? Sometimes he gets a bit fresh with me. lol

I came up with some other names for him... Simba/Symba Milo Toby .. I am looking at different cat name websites. Once i find a name i will let you know.

Won't the dry food go bad if smokey and brindle don't come by every day.? It will just sit there in the dog house for them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Premier Cat

If the food stays dry, it should be all right. Your kitty will gradually lose the hormones he now has, so within a few weeks, he should be fine.

Is there a shelter that supports TNR? If so, they will probably neuter the other two cats...or do it very inexpensively! Otherwise, the other two cats will start a colony. I would call around, if I were you.

Jeanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCatzGirl
Thank you for your help.

My other question is... Since the orange cats will have a place to live...what should i do about Smokey and Ms.Brindle Cat? They don't come to the house every day. They come every now and then. Should i still put food out for them? Should it be every day? every other day? I'll keep the little house out for them to go into.

Thanks.
If you are leaving food out, be sure something else isn't getting it, like crows. When I was feeding the stray/ferals (two of them at two separate time periods) I couldn't leave food out or it would go; during the day to crows, night to raccoons. I would feed them when I saw them, I kept a good lookout and they started to wait for me. I would then give them time to eat what they wanted, before going out and picking up the remainder -- dry cat food. Incidentally, I tried an experiment with the first cat. Because I didn't know if he was going to come by, I bought cheap cat food. Later I picked up a name brand. Then I put a row of each on a plate. The name brand was eaten and the cheap stuff was left. After that I mixed the two until the cheap stuff was used up.

With the crows, there was one time when the food was under the carport. The crow saw me but still came for it. It was the funniest thing to see the crow trying to get just the one more piece as it hopped on one foot as it prepared for take off.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page