Stray cat returned - Very Sick - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Stray cat returned - Very Sick

Hi,
A feral cat returned to my neighbors back yard. He used to come around quite a lot, but he has been missing for several months. Any way, he showed up a couple of weeks ago when my neighbors were on vacation. He looked very skinny and skitish. I tried to feed him, but he wouldn't eat. When I tried to approach him, he hid underneath a pine tree. After a couple of days, he disappeared.

He's back again, looking even worse than before. This time he accepted food from my neighbors, but only ate a little bit. When I tried to approach him, he didn't even move ... like he was too weak to move.

I went to the store to pickup chicken baby food, thinking it would be easy for him to eat and digest. Other than that, any suggestions on what we should do with this poor cat? I'm guessing he's 2 years old, but he's very small for his age.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Re: Stray cat returned - Very Sick

Sounds like he's in dire need of medical attention, and if you and/or your neighbors cannot afford to provide that, then I would be on the phone with local rescues to see if they offer help in situations like this.

I know the last rescue I volunteered with offered assistance to owners who couldn't afford the medical bills, and also helped foot the bill for strays that needed medical attention, as well.

Perhaps even call around to local vets to see if any of them are willing to help the little guy out. I've seen some vets take in strays, get them better, and adopt them out through the clinic.

Not all places provide these services, but it's definitely something to look into.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I agree. This kitty has to see a vet. His condition sounds life threatening.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm calling around as we speak, but it doesn't look good. They're assuming the little guy is too sick to take care of, and are suggesting that I bring him in so they can put him down (if their assumptions are correct that he has a disease that can't be resolved). They said otherwise, he could be infecting other cats. Seems like that's a lot of assumptions to make just because I said he lost weight ... or is it?

I really don't want to catch him if all I can do is help him die faster, but maybe I'm being selfish. I can't even kill bugs, how am I going to help him get killed?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

OK, I got a hold of a vet who will see him in a half hour ... he's going to take a look at White Foot and let me know whether he can save him or not. White Foot must be very sick, it wasn't difficult getting him into the carrier. On a positive note, he is still eating and seems to like the baby food I gave him.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren
I really don't want to catch him if all I can do is help him die faster, but maybe I'm being selfish.
Well, if he's in such poor condition, and there's no treatment/cure...wouldn't it be more cruel to leave him be so he could suffer?

I know it's hard to put another life in your hands, but if it comes down to it...a life of suffering is worse than a humane death, at any cost.

I hope that he can be treated/cured of whatever is ailing him. Keep us updated.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Cat Addict

Agreed with the above.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

He was very dehydrated and his gums are white. The doc took a conservative approach by giving him a shot of antibiotics and re-hydrating his fluids ... he has him on baytril(sp?). He's hoping its a bacterial infection versus some form of lukemia. Anyway, he said the only way to see if he has some type of lukemia or other disease is to run a full blood panel on him. Unfortunately, I was laid off work more than a year ago, and can't really afford a full blood panel. This visit was quite expensive as it was.

He did say it was a positive sign that White Foot was still eating, albiet not a lot.

Please say your prayers for this little one. He's going to need it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

My prayers are with him too. Thank you for helping this little one.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Premier Cat

*closes eyes to send good thoughts and healing wishes*
I understand having to make decisions based on bottom line, and I feel what you have done is already fabulous. If he *can* recover, you have done your best to give him the opportunity to do so: antibiotics, love, care and food. If he can't, then you've *still* done a wonderful thing by taking him in and caring for him before having to help him to cross over The Rainbow Bridge.
No matter what happens, you are a *hero* in my book for trying to help this kitty.
heidi =^..^=

In 2007 I had an emaciated feral collapse on my back patio. I took him to the vet and a blood test revealed a high white blood cell count. The vet cautioned that it could be either an infection or cancer. I brought him home and fed him fabulous foods, in addition to his medications, and he continued to lose weight. I think he was about 6# when I found him and after feeding him lots of good food, he continued to lose weight, down to 5.5#. This is a cat that should have weighed 12-14 pounds.
Because he was a feral/stray I could not afford to spend a lot of money on him and after more than a month of good care and great food, he continued to decline. I feel honored that he chose *me* to help him. I am proud that I was able to pamper and love him during his last weeks and show him what a great life it was to live with a family. When his follow-up vet visit showed he was continuing to decline we decided humane euth would be the best course of action. He was already a skeleton with fur and it would have been a long process to allow him to continue to decline, linger and 'die-at-home'.
The best thing I could do for him was to release him from his failing body.

This was Rusty after 4wks of care:

For comparison, this is Floofy who is the same body-frame (tall and long like Rusty) at 2yrs old and 13#.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page