should i keep doing this? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

should i keep doing this?

As you guys know...i have taken in simba and got the other 2 cats to the vet to find homes. So that leaves us with there parents. Ms.Brindle and Smokey.

I am running low on the dry cat food that they are getting every day. Since we took the cats inside.. i haven't seen brindle or smokey. Wait..i take that back.. I saw her last week and i saw smokey today. But should i continue feeding them ? What happens in the winter time when there house is covered in snow and i can't get to it. They won't have food. So im wondering if i should stop the food before the snow comes..so they know to find someplace else to find food. Then maybe start up again when the snow is gone?

What should i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Premier Cat

Re: should i keep doing this?

You will need to do what you feel most comfortable with. Were it me, I would try to always get food out there, at least every other day or so. I do not think it is fair to provide a source of food that they count on and then remove it when they need it most, in the winter. I know you are proposing to 'wean' them now, but I just don't feel that is fair and you have a good chance of them not surviving through a NY winter w/out a food source.

If *you* think you can't make it through snow, how is a small kitty supposed to do so *and* find their own food source? I don't know. Perhaps the feral cats of the Northern climes have figured something out, but it is my belief that once an animal grows to depend upon us for something, we need to continue to provide it.

That is only my opinion, feeling, whatever ... and you still need to do what you can, and if you cannot provide food all winter, well, then you simply can't. I just don't have any suggestions that would be helpful for you in this situation. Good luck,
heidi

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Premier Cat

Re: should i keep doing this?

One of the basics of the grassroots movement of Trap/Neuter/Return is to support the colony you have vetted and now comitte to feeding them. TNR groups in the north provide shelters for the community feral cats to survive and keep warm in thru the cold months.

If you cant afford food for brindle or smokey contact your local TNR group or the humane society or a rescue group in your area and ask them for help with food. We give food to lots of people who watch over the colonies we have TNRed. At times we even provide dog food for their dogs because some of these people are strapped for cash and need help!

If youve seen the horrible condition of ferals and abandoned cats, who cant find food, it would break your heart. Its a terrible slow agonizing death. There are weeks where I dont think I can continue doing rescue because of all the suffering we encounter because some J A has dumped his cat and thinks it can survive. Trust me they cant. Its just heart breaking. But the good news is that it takes little effort to keep feeding and watering colonies. People just need a little encouragement or help in doing so. There are people around willing to assit those who cant afford the food.

Its wonderful you have brought in part of this family. Please keep a food source and shelter for the two left out side. They cant make it without your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page