Happy to find this board! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Happy to find this board!

Hello fellow cat lovers! I live in a small suburban town in southeast WI and we constantly have feral cats in our neighborhood. In the past, I've contacted a catch, neuter, and release program and had several ferals taken care of that way. The kittens that we have caught have gone to a no-kill shelter and found homes. My husband built a house for them out of a large Rubbermaid firewood container (4'x4'x7' or so) that he insulated and has lots of old blankets and towels inside.

On Halloween night, a young (4-5 month) old tabby showed up at our front steps. He was in the company of a large, toothless old male orange cat (Luigi) that often comes around for food. The kitten (Moe) has turned out to be very friendly and is currently serving a 2 week quarantine per the vet in our heated garage to be integrated into our family of 4 young children and 3 other cats. Now this morning, Luigi turned up again with a very tiny (6-7 weeks) black kitten. I want to catch this kitty and get him to a foster home or shelter. I'd also like to catch Luigi and at least get him neutered, but he's been very elusive so far, although he will sit a few feet away from me and eat. It's very strange, but Luigi seems to be adopting these kittens and bringing them to us. I really hope that we can save these cats before our cold WI winter sets in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Happy to find this board!

Oh! I think I love you and your husband for taking care of these lost and forgotten kitties! Luigi seems like a cat-rescuer himself, he knows who to lead the babies to for the best care. I TNR ferals and foster/socialize kittens and cats for our local rescue so I understand what you go through, but we don't have such harsh winters as you have so far North. The best I could offer would be to trap them, though you really don't have much say about who goes into the trap to be caught, unless you rig it and sit up over it to spring the trap yourself, manually with light rope or heavy string.
I wish you all the best of luck.
Heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

LOL. We actually did set up a manual trap a couple of years ago to catch a female and her 5 kittens. My hubby sat outside with the trap for over an hour to make sure all of them were caught together. I'm not sure that would work this time though as this kitten is really shy. And unfortunately, I don't think that the TNR program down here is still operating. I don't know who to call. Do you have access to a network of TNR organizations that you can share with me? I'm in southeastern WI in Jefferson County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakrum421
Do you have access to a network of TNR organizations that you can share with me? I'm in southeastern WI in Jefferson County.
I don't have any information like that, but another CF member has compiled helpful feral information at the top of the Feral Forum page, if you would look there. I saw two thread titles that could be helpful in regards to feral cat services and I thought I saw one that said "by state", hopefully there will be some helpful information in there for you.
heidi =^..^=

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Premier Cat

My heart jumped for joy to hear what your doing for the kitties in SE Wisconsin. I grew up in Wisconsin but have since moved ~ as you can see~ but I always keep an eye out on whats happening in Wisconsin.

Start calling rescues in your area and they might know a TNR group or who is doing it on their own in your area.

Its awesome the help your giving these kitties and warmed my heart hearing about the luigi bringing you kittens! How sweet is that.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Good news and bad news

The bad news is that the little black kitten hasn't shown up again at our yard. I hate to think what might have happened to him, so I prefer to think that his mother found him. It's been more than 36 hours since I last saw him. His old buddy Luigi has been here without him quite a few visits. The good news is that Luigi let me pet him today. He was waiting at our front door this morning for his breakfast and when I put down some food, he let me reach over and rub his head. I'm going to call a no-kill shelter later today and find out if there is any TNR's operating in our area anymore. But if I can get poor old Luigi socialized, maybe he can find a home. He has the most dense, soft winter fur and other than being toothless and a bit scarred, he is a very handsome cat.

Also, the other large male feral cat in our neighborhood stopped by last night. We call him Jesus (Hay-soos, like the Hispanic name). He has been around for a couple of years and is the main culprit of kittens in our yard. 2 years ago, we caught his girlfriend, Juanita, and her 6 kittens and they all were found homes. I'm pretty sure that he is the father of the kitten (Moe) that we are bringing into our house next week too. Moe looks just like Jesus, a grey tabby. Hopefully, we can TNR him too and stop him from "spreading the love". LOL.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry to hear the little black kitten hasn't shown up again, but I wanted to also congratulate you on petting Luigi! Our friend's daughter just found a kitten at her church parking lot and named him Jesus, too. I tend to call him: "Hey, Zeus", though.

Good luck with a TNR group!
h

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Posting an update

I have both good and bad news to update. The good news is that our little adopted stray Moe has become a very loved member of our household. He is such a good natured little fellow that he will sit on my lap while I am giving my 8 month old son his bottle. The baby yanks on his fur and ears and Moe just tolerates it with a grin. He also lets my 2 year old daughter put him in her doll stroller. Moe has claws and sharp little teeth, but has yet to use them on any of us.

The bad news is that Luigi, the old toothless stray who brought us Moe and that I'd finally befriended, suddenly stopped coming right around New Year's Eve. We miss him and I find myself looking out the front door a couple of times a day hoping that he'll be there. The longest he had ever been missing before was about 2 days while we had a snowstorm. We've left up his shelter in the hopes that another feral cat will find it and use it to stay warm and dry.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. I'm sure I'll be back on here with news of yet another homeless kitty when the weather warms up and the new litters are born.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Cat

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that Luigi has gone missing. Just keep good thoughts that he's somewhere safe and warm.

Glad to hear that Moe is doing very well.

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Premier Cat

OH, I'm sorry to hear Luigi has been missing in action. Take comfort in the fact that you were *trying* to better his life even more than you already had. I am certain he *knew* he was a treasured kitty and it is comforting to me, to know that even if another has passed, his passing hasn't gone unnoticed or unlamented.
How wonderful is that for a feral and/or previously forgotten kitty? You did a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page